Light bar install/wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah... that's why I wired all mine, (other than my ambers) into the high beam. handy to turn off in an instant and hard to "forget" they're on. one flash usually lets them know they are being stupid.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Yeah... that's why I wired all mine, (other than my ambers) into the high beam. handy to turn off in an instant and hard to "forget" they're on. one flash usually lets them know they are being stupid.

I was thinking about doing this with lights on my truck. However, I have the auto high beam function and that doesnt always work as quick as it needs to. I could make someone drive off the road like that.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I thought about that too.. But sometimes I flash my highs to let pedestrians cross, or to let big rigs over.

Same thing for the rear lights connected to the cargo light, or reverse light. Sometimes I turn it on to actually check my cargo while driving at night.. And I want to use the rear lights as "work lights" also.. So wiring to the reverse lights is out of the question, unless I engage the parking brake.....

IMO

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yah I can't remember who's truck it was but I found it on the forums and I love it so I saved the picture I actually ordered those switches just waiting for them to arrive. Seems that Canadian shipping is always so slow.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I thought about that too.. But sometimes I flash my highs to let pedestrians cross, or to let big rigs over.

Same thing for the rear lights connected to the cargo light, or reverse light. Sometimes I turn it on to actually check my cargo while driving at night.. And I want to use the rear lights as "work lights" also.. So wiring to the reverse lights is out of the question, unless I engage the parking brake.....

IMO

Yeah, i should have been more clear. my 'big" lights are all wired through both the high beams and the AUX switch. I still have normal use of high beams, but cant;'t turn my big lights on with the switch unless I am also running the high beams. This way I can turn the lights on n the highway and just use the dimmer switch to turn them off for oncoming traffic.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ohh. I like that.

But I guess, either way, still have to flip the switch at some point?

IMO

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Nope lol.. I hardly even lean forward to touch the switches I have.

IMO

Thats cause you sit like this in your truck:
173231217-baby-girl-driving-car-gettyimages.jpg

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Yeah, i should have been more clear. my 'big" lights are all wired through both the high beams and the AUX switch. I still have normal use of high beams, but cant;'t turn my big lights on with the switch unless I am also running the high beams. This way I can turn the lights on n the highway and just use the dimmer switch to turn them off for oncoming traffic.

I don't understand the point of wiring to the high beams then?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't understand the point of wiring to the high beams then?

That way when I'm driving at max light, (high beams and AUX lights), all I have to do is pull the dimmer switch to dim all the way down and not be an *******, rather than trying to pull the dimmer and fumble with or take my eyes off the road finding the AUX switch.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey wsutard1, is WSU in your username Wash St Univ? I drank my way out of that school back in the day....