Lightning bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larrygaither

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got home from mowing this morning and started backing my trailer up the drive, slight incline, about half way up it quit moving. Looked at the evic and it showed a red box with a lightning bolt inside the box. Shifted to neutral and back to reverse and same thing, it would not move. Finally shifted to park and back to reverse and no more lightning bolt and truck continued up the drive. Looking for advise about this, oh yeah it is a 2016 ram 1500, 5.7, 8 speed trans. Not sure if this is in the correct section.

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m sure that it explains each icon in the manual.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has something to do with the electronic throttle,(drive by wire) system, but i don't know what.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m sure that it explains each icon in the manual.

Wouldn't be too sure on that..........recently discovered my owners manual does not explain the 'tilt in reverse' function of my towing mirrors, and it is controlled thru the evic setup screen.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
My understanding/experience with the dash warning displays. Lighting bolt is not good. I would get my truck scanned. I have had that twice in my 03. Once for a lifter spring and once for the TB control module.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Throttle body issue, could be super dirty in there and the position sensor is off. Hit it with a can of electronics cleaner and see if it goes away, if not off to the dealer.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wouldn't be too sure that..........recently discovered my owners manual does not explain the 'tilt in reverse' function of my towing mirrors, and it is controlled thru the evic setup screen.

It's in the manual somewhere, I didn't know that I even had that function until I read it in the manual.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Throttle control issue. Sounds like you went into limp mode.

OP
OP
L

larrygaither

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks I will probably call the dealer , had no throttle control at all. Nothing should be dirty it only has 15k miles and never driven on dirt roads.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's in the manual somewhere, I didn't know that I even had that function until I read it in the manual.

Trust me, it isn't......I have searched the electronic manual a few times times.....have yet to find it.

I knew about it from looking thru the menus, and the dealer mentioned it when I was buying.

My guess is you found it the same way, saw it in the menu of the EVIC.

I just went thru again, and searched mirror, tilt, and angle, and none of the hits mentioned the tilt in reverse feature at all.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Were you braking with your left foot while backing up and applying throttle? If you brake and apply throttle together it will cause that fault code.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Were you braking with your left foot while backing up and applying throttle? If you brake and apply throttle together it will cause that fault code.

Hope you are wrong. That would be a really stupid design.

OP
OP
L

larrygaither

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I was. Any idea why it would do that?

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Yes I was. Any idea why it would do that?

The throttle by wire system can't handle it for some reason, found it out from my dealer on my Cummins. I had half a dozen stored codes from breaking with my left foot on that truck. I don't remember the technical reason on why it causes a fault code, but it does.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
The throttle by wire system can't handle it for some reason, found it out from my dealer on my Cummins. I had half a dozen stored codes from breaking with my left foot on that truck. I don't remember the technical reason on why it causes a fault code, but it does.

That’s so weird, I wonder why they engineered it that way.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That’s so weird, I wonder why they engineered it that way.
My guess would be to stop people from being able to melt the back tires off by lightly holding the brake and gassing on it. Around here referred to as a brake torque, brake torqueing it.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently backed my boat up a steep incline with no issues. But can't remember if I applied the brake while doing so.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Any idea why it would do that?

Part of the "safety logic" for the electronic throttle is to see if the brakes are being applied. It stems around the people claiming their car accelerated through their garage with their foot on the brake.
The truck has a Hill Start Assist(with the 8.4 radio you can turn it on/off) that will hold the brake temporarily or until you step on the throttle when the truck can roll backwards.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
My guess would be to stop people from being able to melt the back tires off by lightly holding the brake and gassing on it. Around here referred to as a brake torque, brake torqueing it.
Over here it’s called being a moron and ruining your truck. Well that’s good then, so in ten years when I’m ready to buy a 2018 at least I’ll know it wasn’t a burnout truck. But wait, I see people doing brake stands all the time with their new trucks , are these people that are layin rubber just ignoring the cel’s?

Last edited: