Little Air Coming Out of Vents (Not the Recirc Door Issue) [Solved]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amarilu84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7L
2008 Dodge RAM 1500 TRX4 Quad Cab, V8 5.7L (Gen 3)

Summary: I had this problem, and Google only wanted to talk about the famous recirculate door breaking off and landing on the intake from the blower motor, causing air to stop flowing (or crawl) through all your vents whether it was AC or heat - whether you had it on defrost, chest level, floor, etc. So many people like myself wondering what the problem could be if it wasn't the recirculate door blocking the airflow from the blower motor in these 3rd gen Dodge's. Pictures at bottom for solution.

Well I tell you hwhat, Bobby, I took the glove box off and removed the blower motor. Stuck my phone up in the hole and there's a little access way that goes towards the drivers side to reveal what I think is called an AC condenser. The thing on the back of air conditioners with all the metal fins to cool it down. This could be your problem, if it's caked with dirt and grime. Mine was. There is no cabin filter in these models, so maybe that contributes to this, I don't know. Just the level of grime that was on mine was enough to almost stop the air from coming through altogether.

Apparently, all air has to pass through this thing no matter what combination you use (heat, AC, floor, mid-level, etc.) I took a baby bottle scrubber and bent it at a 75 degree angle and literally scrubbed it blind with dish soap and water. Boom. Put everything back together and the air comes out so strong it's nuts. I crave literal frost on my windshield, or a beam of glory descending upon me when I step outside in the heat/humidity and my glasses instantly fog up from the power of the AC. I now have these abilities since cleaning the AC condenser. I had forgotten what it was like when I first bought the truck. Slowly over time this thing gets weaker and weaker, you'll notice a huge difference once you clean it. Fan level 4 now requires hearing safety as decibel levels may be unsafe for elderly or young children, take precaution.

I hope this helps someone else because I searched for days to no avail. Check your AC condenser status!

Attachments

• 20230624_145516.jpg
    20230624_145516.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230624_151751.jpg
    20230624_151751.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 30

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, what a mess. Do you drive in dusty conditions with the fresh air coming in? Do you have pets?

And you did all of this cleaning through the bower motor hole???
I applaud your repair and especially that you posted not only the fault but also the solution!

The cold side that you show is the evaporator (inside) and the hot side out front is the condenser.
At HomeDespot, Lowest, and Earmazon you can get evaporator cleaner in and aerosol can. It foams up and does not require rinsing as when you run the a/c, the condensation will get pulled out of the air and run (drain) out onto the driveway. So no rinse is required.

Now you could rinse it, it might help blast any additional gunk that has formed inside the fins that you couldn't reach with a baby bottle brush... Perhaps a clean pump up bug sprayer with distilled water (chlorine in tap water would be less desirable) but you could blast it with Tap water then rinse with distilled.

Also a great energy saver DIY home HVAC weekend project.

Please let me know if you found my suggestion helpful or just blah blah blah.
Cheers!

OP
OP
Amarilu84

Amarilu84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7L
Wow, what a mess. Do you drive in dusty conditions with the fresh air coming in? Do you have pets?

And you did all of this cleaning through the bower motor hole???
I applaud your repair and especially that you posted not only the fault but also the solution!

The cold side that you show is the evaporator (inside) and the hot side out front is the condenser.
At HomeDespot, Lowest, and Earmazon you can get evaporator cleaner in and aerosol can. It foams up and does not require rinsing as when you run the a/c, the condensation will get pulled out of the air and run (drain) out onto the driveway. So no rinse is required.

Now you could rinse it, it might help blast any additional gunk that has formed inside the fins that you couldn't reach with a baby bottle brush... Perhaps a clean pump up bug sprayer with distilled water (chlorine in tap water would be less desirable) but you could blast it with Tap water then rinse with distilled.

Also a great energy saver DIY home HVAC weekend project.

Please let me know if you found my suggestion helpful or just blah blah blah.
Cheers!
I believe the previous owner may have used it as a farm vehicle, and they had pets in the truck at some point. Since I bought it, I haven't driven in dusty conditions or had any pets. In fact, I did clean this through the blower motor port. It was a doosey, tight spaces and can't really see or anything. I did the whole "see with your hand" thing.

I didn't know about getting evaporator cleaner, that'll help a lot I would imagine. Hopefully I will have the truck long enough to have to clean this again and at that time I could use this. I found this helpful, thank you!