Locked keys in truck QUESTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Laramie Crew Cab
2016 Laramie - Yesterday I started my truck using my key fab. I set my keys in the center console along with my cell phone while I loaded some things in the back of my truck. When I came back to leave I could not get in. The truck was locked and running. I do not believe I locked it unless I hit it on accident. I had to borrow someones phone to call my wife and have her unlock it via the Uconnect app. Is there any other way to get in the truck if this happens again????

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
seems like a pretty easy fix to me. Either do the same thing or call aaa(if you have it), or the police.

I wouldnt want too many ways to just unlock the doors at will i they are locked lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there anything in the owner's manual about locking the truck with the keys in the truck???? I know---last resort--read the structions----:naughty:
Jay

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
2016 Laramie - Yesterday I started my truck using my key fab. I set my keys in the center console along with my cell phone while I loaded some things in the back of my truck. When I came back to leave I could not get in. The truck was locked and running. I do not believe I locked it unless I hit it on accident. I had to borrow someones phone to call my wife and have her unlock it via the Uconnect app. Is there any other way to get in the truck if this happens again????

I RV and travel a lot across the country. So, I have a lot of keys for the truck, RV and other locks.

I had a spare key made, put it in some plastic so it doesn't rust and duct tape it some place under the truck. With that I can at least get into the truck. I keep RV keys in the truck and a spare key fob in the RV.

You could hide your second key fob in the truck.

If everyone did this there wouldn't be a need for lock out services.

I've become so paranoid about losing that key fob I put it on a paracord string and caribiner that is long enough to reach to my belt when driving.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My old boss put his extra key in a magnetic box under the hood of his car----it had an inside hood release, but I didn't have the heart to tell him how stupid he was.
Jay

CocconutMonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe duct tape one inside the headlight access panel in the fenderwell? If the tape gives way while driving, you won't drop $200 off your truck as easily

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I mount a spare key fab to the truck wouldn't anyone be able to open my doors since the fab would be within such close proximity? This is a key less entry truck.....

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next time leave the window open for security in case it locks on you
Or check the manual to see if there's anything

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
im sure there are a lot of places we could come up with to hide a spare key on the truck. I dont do it as I have made it a habit the purposely LOOK in my hand at my truck key before I close the door. its not full prof but has worked since i lock my keys in my truck for the last time years ago.

a good spot would be inside the front bumper area. zip ties are you friend.

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once again. It is key less entry. If I tape a fab to my truck then anyone will be able to open my truck at any time because of the close proximity of the fab.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Once again. It is key less entry. If I tape a fab to my truck then anyone will be able to open my truck at any time because of the close proximity of the fab.

well ****. I apologize for not seeing that in your post.

my only sulution would be return the truck and get it in a tradesman or SLT so you have a real key.
:roflsquared:

JK

:favorites13:

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am very curious about the sequence of events that allowed you to lock your fob inside your truck! I also have keyless entry and I have purposely tried to lock my fob inside the truck. The truck wouldn't let me!

What happened with me: I had the truck shut off. I left the fob on the driver's seat. I pressed the all door lock button on the inside of the driver's door. I shut the truck door. The horn sounded 3 times and unlocked the driver's door. (According to the manual, this is what is supposed to happen).

I wonder if it was because your truck was running? (I'll have to try this with my truck running).

As an aside: I have noticed that if I have my fob in my pocket with my cell phone, when I go to unlock the truck door, it won't unlock. I have to separate the fob from the cell phone (iPhone 4S). I wonder if having your fob next to your cell phone in the center console prevented the truck from detecting that your fob was still in your truck?

I also wonder how your truck got locked - as you said you might have done it accidentally - did you accidentally press the all door lock button on the indide of the driver's door? - but wouldn't you have noticed the sound of the doors locking?? Is there a circumstance that will automatically lock your/our truck doors?

Some things to try when I have the second fob handy ... I want to find out what events could cause this because I can't get the Uconnect apps in Canada.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the fob is in the center stack and the fob allows you to unlock the doors by being within close proximity and touching the sensor, why won't the doors unlock with fob locked inside???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Sorta off topic but something interesting I found out. If you lock yourself out, you can call whoever can get to the other key fob and unlock your truck through the phone call. Just put it on speaker phone and it works.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, i just tested. Doors will not unlock with key fob inside the truck... so you just need to copy the key inside your fob and hide it outside so you can get inside.

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the fob is in the center stack and the fob allows you to unlock the doors by being within close proximity and touching the sensor, why won't the doors unlock with fob locked inside???

Your guess is as good as mine.......I never thought it was possible to lock the fab in the truck and not be able to get in........Maybe it was because the truck was running. I'll have to look into it more.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Well the first idea is:36b9e3d82936da4d7bad16a2b3c036eb.jpg
Second idea:
You should have a physical key for the door, goto a regular locksmith and have them cut you a back up key, it is the same blank Chrysler has been using for years. No key fab needed just to get in the door.

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My understanding is the truck knows the fob is inside the truck - as opposed to being on your person.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well the first idea is:36b9e3d82936da4d7bad16a2b3c036eb.jpg
Second idea:
You should have a physical key for the door, goto a regular locksmith and have them cut you a back up key, it is the same blank Chrysler has been using for years. No key fab needed just to get in the door.

humm :hmm:

call AAA or pay for a new window, have to clean the mess and drive around without a window...

:hmm:

cant decide...

toejam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The fob has a key inside it, there's a small slide button on the back - slide to the side and pull out the key. Get a copy made and zip tie it somewhere on the truck.

One other thing to check - the valet settings in uconnect.