locking mechanisms are frigged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TipsyTree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 1990 Ram D250 manual 4x4. About a year ago my passenger door mechanism stopped working. I put the key in to unlock it and it would not budge. The door would also not open as the tab was stuck kind of in the middle position but clearly something had broke of been jammed inside. I didn't think much of it cuz I don't usually have passengers anyways. Fast forward about 8 months. I attempted to get into the truck and the same thing has happened on the driver side so now I am completely locked out of my truck and no clue how to get in without busting a window. The driver door is partially open so I was thinking I could maybe find a way to open the door then figure out what is going on. Has anyone had this issue before?? Searched the threads but couldn't find anything. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Supermoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 89 W 150 with power windows and locks and I have been having the same issue. I think that the linkages are probably just gunked up. I will most likely take the door panels off and clean and lube everything. I want to get rid of the power accessories, so that I don't have to deal with this. Best of luck.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
DON'T Break you window.
If you truck is a Cheap truck even easier.
But if your truck has a head liner in it Slightly tougher .
Just get some Gojo & a screw driver . LUBE UP THE GASKET on the rear back glass & remove your back window .. only takes about 5 minutes ...
Don't forget a roll of paper towels to clean up the mess.
.....I did mine when I was locked out at BILLY BOBS TEXAS . hERE i AM AT midnight stealing my truck .. I put my Skinner ass girl friend thru the back hole . & she help me get the door open. I put the window back in with a small green tree limb or branch ...
The crowd thought I was a genius .. I crank up & drove away.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From what i read, you pretty much have to remove the door panel to begin pokin' & proddin'

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you try a coat hanger or stiffer wire and pull on the drivers side door handle since it overrides the locking mechanism?

OP
OP
T

TipsyTree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The driver door just randomly opened one day (lucky me lol). Took the panel off and just greased the crap out of everything now it works fine. Can hopefully do the same for the passenger side but it's not being as friendly. Was crawling in and out of the window for a few months haha was horrible.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
3 things that may keep you from crawling through the window

1 or 2 air bags & a wedge
A long reach tool
1672552513542.jpeg
Z2x6GykcpIx_.jpg

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I Expect that once you can get the door open .. Spray it down with anything to clean it .. Brake clean or Choke & carb cleaner. I'm thinking troubles in that
outside door latch. I've had lot of issues with it. I'm talking the one that' at the back of the door. & LATCHES onto the part that's on the back side of the cab.
I've also use penetrating oil after I get it cleaned with carb cpray.
..... Help items sold at parts stores .. sometimes called ''Help'' & other time ''DORMAN '' OR ''Motor Might'' & maybe several more brands..
BUT SEEMS LIKE THE STRIKER ... & ONE LITTLE PLASTIC Clip that pushes over a mall rod & you push it over a 2nd rod. &Seems like maybe a 3rd piece that is a round bushing . That's forced between a hole & a shaft or rod that pushes in & Hold the 2 items together . But those 3 parts can be bought..
P.S. DON'T TAKE THAT Latch off the outside of that door until you've gave up on everything else. It's a ***** to get adjusted correctly .

Last edited: