Long time Ford guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Comandante

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So my 2000 Ford w 5.4 2v has 191,*** and although it purrs and doesn’t burn oil not have rust I’m wanting a new to me truck.

You Dodge guys want to laugh go to the F150 forum and read all the issues w the 2.7,3.5,5.0 engines and the new 10-sp tranny.

We’ve owned a 2003 Chrysler van AWD LTD w 3.6 and we got over 200k without any problems. Gave it to our daughter who put another 75,*** till she donated it to her church-it’s still running!

I’ve rented Ram 1500 and love the ride and reliability and smoothness of the pushrod engine. It may not boast “ state of the art technology “ like the troubled VCT systems in Ford but it sure as hell seems to be far more reliable.

Aside from my 2000 which this 1st generation Triton was the last hurrah for Ford, I’m buying a Dodge Hemi.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had heard about the ecoboost issues, but heard the 5.0's were bulletproof. Wow. Guess every new(er) engine nowadays have their own issues. May as well push the buyer to trade in/up every couple years is the new manufacturer trend?

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my 2000 Ford w 5.4 2v has 191,*** and although it purrs and doesn’t burn oil not have rust I’m wanting a new to me truck.

You Dodge guys want to laugh go to the F150 forum and read all the issues w the 2.7,3.5,5.0 engines and the new 10-sp tranny.

We’ve owned a 2003 Chrysler van AWD LTD w 3.6 and we got over 200k without any problems. Gave it to our daughter who put another 75,*** till she donated it to her church-it’s still running!

I’ve rented Ram 1500 and love the ride and reliability and smoothness of the pushrod engine. It may not boast “ state of the art technology “ like the troubled VCT systems in Ford but it sure as hell seems to be far more reliable.

Aside from my 2000 which this 1st generation Triton was the last hurrah for Ford, I’m buying a Dodge Hemi.

I also was a loooong time Ford truck guy. They lost me at aluminum!!
Traded my 06 Lariat 5.4 with 235k in june 17 for my WhytRam, (White (duh)Bighorn quad cab). Best vehicle move of my life!

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had heard about the ecoboost issues, but heard the 5.0's were bulletproof. Wow. Guess every new(er) engine nowadays have their own issues. May as well push the buyer to trade in/up every couple years is the new manufacturer trend?

I really liked the 5.0 mated with the 6sp never had an issue with that. It was frozen lock issue that got to me and nothing being done after 4 years. Having said that the 5.7 with the 8sp is a dream especially mated to the 3.92. Even with my previous Ram that had the 3.21 it was a great truck and mpg was stellar.

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had many fords, a couple imports, and this is my first Chrysler product. Bought my 16 ram 1500 semi new, and I enjoy everything about it. Best of luck to you!

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Like anything made by man, no trucks will be perfect. Every brand makes some bad apples.

That being said, welcome to the Ram club. I've sat and rode in newer bowties, blue ovals, about every other half ton except for the Titan. For interior technology and arrangement, Ford and Ram have everyone else beat, in my opinion. I prefer the Ram, obviously.

The Hemi, 8-speed, and 3.92 gears are my perfect combo. However, some prefer the V6 and 3.21 gears, or something in-between, for gas mileage. I like the fully loaded Longhorn, others prefer more basic models that have less tech. Whatever floats your boat.

The Hemi is getting a bit "long in the tooth" as the old saying goes, and it has its quirks like any engine design. Its still a decent engine, and still keeps up with the newer designs for the most part. Says a lot about an engine originally designed around ten years ago or more.

SilverRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I work for Ford for 34 years and had nothing but Ford trucks.
All my years all my Fords have been very good. My last one was a 06 F350 6.0 diesel Lariat 4 door long bed. Just wasn't what I thought it should be. Would tow anywhere, just wouldn't pass the gas station. It let me down a few times, cam sensor, crank sensor, and couple of others.
Sold it all, and bought a Ram 1500 V6 quad cab, 3.21 axle.
Get about 17/18 around town and 26 on a road trip. I've done a bunch of mods to it and it has been a great truck. It does tow good, not like my diesel, but don't need to anymore. It is a very comfortable, ride is great, inside cab noise is very low. I love the switch. I love this truck

Raylan Givens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew
Engine
I wouldn't dig too deep in this forum. You will see just as many posts about hemi and ecodiesel problems.
I like my 17' Ram, lots of truck for the money.
But after taking a Ford 2.7 with the 10 speed on a ski trip with a friend. It is really the engine to beat, really, really impressed.

Just waiting for a good mid-hybrid or electric....that the next truck.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t know about the 5.0 Coyote being bulletproof, mine used to sip a full quart of oil in between weekends and she wasn’t smoking just crazy oil consumption.

OP
OP
E

El Comandante

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m all in on The Hemi. Reason is it’s a pushrod engine. I’ll never buy a VCT overhead cammed V8 on a truck.
Almost all the VCT problems w Ford are due to oiling failures/ starvation.
The 5.0 defects are related to cylinder distortion which is a design/manufacturing problem. Ford has turned its back on many owners by telling them all the symptoms “are normal” and “they all do that”.

They lost me.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am a little curious about the supercharged trucks that this dealership sells "Lebanon Ford" Has anyone ever bought or had one???????
Jay

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a little curious about the supercharged trucks that this dealership sells "Lebanon Ford" Has anyone ever bought or had one???????
Jay
Just read about them. They sure do advertise some awesome deals although they don't have much in stock right now..........8 F150's and most are the new 3.0 diesels that I reckon nobody wants.

Igot4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Congrats! I made my switch in 2014 from F150 to 1500. Best truck I’ve ever had. I just bought an 18 2500 and considered Ford again due to past loved trucks. The interior and engine kept me in a new Ram and aside from tints, exhaust, Linex undercoating, spray in liner I am happy. I’ll probably always shop the two, but Ram has a lot of recent wins with me.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

not bulletproof My last truck was a 2011 f150 xlt with 5.0 and it was burning 1 quart of oil per week with 90,000 miles on it....

ohh yeah and it randomly would shift into first gear while I was driving 40mph

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Those of you who have driven later Fords and Dodges (Rams) have commented on engines but what I would like to hear is how does driving compare? Noise, steering, braking, ride quality and driving experience in general are the things I am so impressed with when driving my 2018 Ram and I wonder are the Fords similar?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye