Looking at 2019 Limited ... questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
Hi all! The quick backstory is I've owned a lot of Fords, and never a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. I had a 2011 F-150 Lariat where the rear slider failed, the touch screen colors went funky, and then the sunroof broke in the tilted-up position (the first two less than 3 months after the warranty ended, the sunroof was a year out of warranty). I dumped it and got a 2015 F-150 Lariat, loaded. The brakes have made a tick-tick noise when coming to a stop since ~2,500 miles, and there's been a weird vibration noise since ~350 miles when under light throttle at about 25-30mph (sounds like the transmission). Just a few weeks ago, the front diff was rebuilt (a new vibration), front tires were replaced (I had the rears replaced at 27k back in August of 2018). Now I have a vibration somewhere in the truck that flares up my tinnitus and makes me close to throwing up after several miles on the highway. To say that I'm upset, would be a gross understatement. My local dealer network doesn't seem to care or want to look at it, so I'm thinking about jumping ship, and the new Chevy/GMC trucks are ... dated already.

Ok, now that that is out of the way, I'm looking at the 2019 RAM 1500 Limited as a replacement for my F-150 and I have a number of questions (I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks looking for common issues:

1. I've seen that gas mileage is poor, are there any other major complaints or first-year issues?

2. I noticed that Motor Trend got their "Real MPG" at just over 20mpg for a 5.7 w/eTorque in a Limited. They said they had the 3.92 gears. The eTorque V8 isn't widely-ordered around here, so I don't have one to test drive right now - should I try harder to test drive one before just pulling the trigger on the regular 5.7?

3. What's the price range for a "good" deal? I'm not looking for the deal of a lifetime, just what people are actually buying a Limited for. The one I test drove last weekend stickered at $69,309 IIRC. I always aimed for 20% off MSRP on my Fords.

4. Any "must have" options? The Limited is pretty-well loaded, but so far, mine are: RAM Box, 3.92 gearing, Level 1 Equipment Group, 33-gallon fuel tank, Trailer Brake Control. I'm used to the low-end torque of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, so I figure the 3.92s are a necessity to equal the acceleration.

5. How do you all get into and out of the bed? I have bad knees, and I'm used to Ford's tailgate step. As I understand it, the under-bumper Mopar step is still in engineering. I don't use my bed every day, but when I do, I'm hauling gravel, mulch, dirt, firewood, logs, and luggage - my truck is the family's road trip vehicle.

6. I have yet to see a payload sticker for a Limited with the eTorque 5.7, what should I expect in that regard? I don't tow a lot, or much weight, but I have been known to load down my truck to capacity. The truck I test drove had a payload of 1,273lbs, which is 302 less than my F-150.

My first test drive was a quick one (I was time-limited with 2 little ones at home), but I was impressed by the air ride suspension, and handling seemed ok. Power was pretty good out of the 5.7. The interior is drool-worthy, and that 12" touch screen is phenomenal! Room inside is good, as are all the little cubbies and storage pockets.

Thanks for reading through my diatribe - help this long-time Ford guy get up to speed on the new RAM!

-John

Rich4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In regards to gas mileage I have the 5.7L and 3.92 rear end but I don't have e-torque. In the city I've been getting about 13mpg. Over the holidays I took a 400 mile trip where I had ACC set at 75mph for 90% of the time and was able to get 19mpg.

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've got a '19 Rebel (quad) with the 5.7 /e-torque w/ 3.92 so I can give my experience to a few of your questions...

1. For the first 2,000 miles or so I got about 12-14mpg with mainly highway driving. After about 2,500 miles, switching over to full synthetic + synthetic filter I'm getting 16-17mpg on average but when I drive around 70-72 mph I have hit 18-19mpg.

2. I wasn't searching for the e-torque but ended up getting my truck with it. I've definitely noticed huge fuel savings with the stop/start which is flawless (better than my BMW). I also like the fact that the energy from braking charges the battery and I can definitely feel the split second of an addition 130tq off the line (I accidentally roasted the tires my first time merging in it). I would test a truck to see if you like the stop/start function as it really sold me and now that I see the fuel savings I'm happy I got it.

3. Not sure about limited trucks, but my msrp was $52k. I got my truck "out the door" for $47k after discounts and rebates. My truck isn't loaded though because I wanted to avoid some headaches (problems with 12in screen, leaking sunroof and I didn't want air suspension).

4. Must haves IMO = 3.92s, parking sensors

5. I love the 6'4" bed. Yeah the room in the crew cab is awesome, but when I saw how small the bed was I knew I would regret it. Since the truck is your road trip vehicle, I would say you should go for the crew cab for sure.

6. Specs for all model types here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjfoevDwtLfAhViilQKHZu6C2MQFjABegQIChAC&url=https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/dam/fca-brands/na/ramtrucks/en_us/2019/ram-1500/capability/pdf/2019_DT_J1_Trailer_Tow_Official_Report_OFFICIAL_A_2018-1-31.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3tjplH5WT17EHbMirav9G5

Last edited:

phlram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my MSRP was close to 67k, got it for 53k before taxes.

limited delmo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came from a 17 Lariat and before that had a 15 Lariat. Make the switch you won't regret it. Ram is in a league of it's own and you'll realize that after driving it a few thousand miles.

My Limited has 3.21 gears without etorque and even though it doesn't get the gas mileage my 3.5 ecoboost did it's really not all that bad. From my experience expect 1-2 mpg drop. The gas mileage in my 4wd Ram is very similar to my 2013 2wd F150 with 3.5 ecoboost. It sits around 18mpg +/- 1 depending on how much city driving I do.

For the price I would say average discount off MSRP is around $10k. Mine had a MSRP of $64k and was advertised for $54k. I also qualified for the Sam's club discount and the competitor trade in which was an extra $1500 off the advertised price.

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just placed a factory order for my 2019 Limited on 12/19/18. I have an estimated ship date of 1/25/19. If you want the rambox (as I did) you may have to order one with it. I have not seen any on dealer lots. I ordered mine with the rambox, 33 gal tank, sunroof, 3.92 rear, bed utility group, level 1 group, body color bumpers, 5.7 hemi (non-etorque) 4x4, and more. My MSRP will be a little over $69k. The dealer agreed to a price of about $61k, which is $1500 under invoice. I passed on the e-torque as there have been some issues. It too new-tech for me. The hemi is pretty reliable as is. Payload will vary depending on bed size. Towing capacity depends on trim, bed length, rear axle, and 4x2 vs 4x4. My 4x4 5’7” bed will have a tow rating of over 11k lbs.

OP
OP
D

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
Thanks all for the replies. A crew cab is a must, for sure! With 2 kids and sometimes 2 dogs going on road trips, the interior space is key. I don't use my truck like I used to (lighter loads), but dang those safety and tech features sure come in handy! That's one reason I never looked at GM or RAM, because they didn't have the bells & whistles Ford had. Now the tables have turned, and I find myself drooling over the Limited's interior!

I also thought I needed a 6.5' bed at one time, but have since realized that I can usually make two trips, or rent a trailer if need be.

So far, I've only found 1 Limited with RAM Boxes, so I'm either going to get that one, or order one. With my current hearing issues, I'd rather not have to resort to ear plugs for 2-3 months waiting for a new truck to show up. Bummer, because the only one available is silver, not Patriot Blue (my favorite pick of RAM colors). OTOH, the silver/black ext/int combo reminds me of a 2004 Mustang GT Convertible I owned 10 years ago, so I know it's a sharp setup.

-John

yellowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
Didn't know about the Sams Club discount - I only see they give you $ 500.00 ?

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, what part of Maryland are you in? If you are anywhere near southern MD contact Donna at Fitzgerald CDJR in Lexington Park. If a Ram with the equipment you want is anywhere on a lot on this side of the Mississippi she will find it and do her best DX it in. Plus I have been very happy with their service department since I started using them about ten years ago.

If you want additional info on them PM me.

Good luck.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4. Any "must have" options? The Limited is pretty-well loaded, but so far, mine are: RAM Box, 3.92 gearing, Level 1 Equipment Group, 33-gallon fuel tank, Trailer Brake Control. I'm used to the low-end torque of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, so I figure the 3.92s are a necessity to equal the acceleration.

5. How do you all get into and out of the bed? I have bad knees, and I'm used to Ford's tailgate step. As I understand it, the under-bumper Mopar step is still in engineering. I don't use my bed every day, but when I do, I'm hauling gravel, mulch, dirt, firewood, logs, and luggage - my truck is the family's road trip vehicle.

6. I have yet to see a payload sticker for a Limited with the eTorque 5.7, what should I expect in that regard? I don't tow a lot, or much weight, but I have been known to load down my truck to capacity. The truck I test drove had a payload of 1,273lbs, which is 302 less than my F-150.

-John

I just picked up my new 19 Limited E torgue 6' 4" box last night.
For me the 3:92s are a must if you tow a lot or aren't driving 70+ most of the time. I always load my trucks up other than Ram Box because I need the width in the bed. Other than Ram Box, mine has basically every option including off road package, roof, air suspension etc. The new rear step was available when I ordered mine. (Oct 26th) I think it should be standard equipment. It was only a $50 option and works very well. It tucks in nicely and is hardly noticeable.
So far I love the E torque because of the stop start. It is only a 500$ option here in Canada.
This is my 6th new Ram and my 3rd Limited. Never had a major issue with any of them.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered my Limited on Dec 15th and just got notice it’s shipping date is Jan 18th. So I’m not too sure you have to wait 2-3 months for an fo.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have a 2019 Laramie w/3.92.

I had a 2014 w/3.21

I drive a lot of hwy miles and do not do any heavy towing. I am one of the few who prefer the 3.21 (slightly).

A fair deal is about 20% off MSRP but I noticed dealers were not discounting Rebels & Limiteds as much as the other models. So I bought a fairly loaded Laramie. MSRP 58K Paid 46K.

I would not hesitate to travel a few hundred miles to get the right deal or the right truck.

Good Luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
Thanks all!

Hawkman, I'll take a look today at their web site. They're a couple of hours from me, but it's worth a drive to save a bunch of money, for sure!

-John

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just placed a factory order for my 2019 Limited on 12/19/18. I have an estimated ship date of 1/25/19. If you want the rambox (as I did) you may have to order one with it. I have not seen any on dealer lots. I ordered mine with the rambox, 33 gal tank, sunroof, 3.92 rear, bed utility group, level 1 group, body color bumpers, 5.7 hemi (non-etorque) 4x4, and more. My MSRP will be a little over $69k. The dealer agreed to a price of about $61k, which is $1500 under invoice. I passed on the e-torque as there have been some issues. It too new-tech for me. The hemi is pretty reliable as is. Payload will vary depending on bed size. Towing capacity depends on trim, bed length, rear axle, and 4x2 vs 4x4. My 4x4 5’7” bed will have a tow rating of over 11k lbs.

I've only read about one or two credible cases of e-torque issues on several forums. I looked into it before I bought mine. If you should stay away from anything it's the 12-inch screen and the sunroof because there's a hefty amount of complaints so far. The sunroof "gutters" are frequently seated improperly or loose so that water comes in behind the ceiling of the cab. Several guys went to dealers for a fix and the dealer told them that they need to remove the bed to fix it! The 12-inch screen freezes up and because it replaces knobs you lose all your comfort functions if it freezes. Even the manager that sold me my truck complained to me that his 2019 Premium was having both of these issues. He was downgrading to a truck without both.

I've got almost 9,000 miles on my e-torque and it's been flawless. Based on the forums, if anything is going to give you problems it's going to be the 12inch screen and the sunroof. Respectfully.

Trader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-torque
I have a limited with the Sunroof, e-torque, 3.92, .org, etc get 14-16 mpg.

Have over 4,000 miles on it no problems love the truck.

OP
OP
D

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
Good to know. My Lariat with 3.5 EcoBoost has been getting about 16.5 over the last 32k miles.

John

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a limited with the Sunroof, e-torque, 3.92, .org, etc get 14-16 mpg.

Have over 4,000 miles on it no problems love the truck.

I have a 4th gen 2018 Limited TE CC, 6.4 bed, 3.92 with the Hemi, every available option on the truck (no e-torque obviously). I’ve got just under 15k miles on the truck and will have had it for one year at the end of next week.

I’m averaging about 14.5MPG overall and that’s mostly city driving. The only time it drops down below is when I remote start it in the winter and absorb more idle time.

We’ve taken some long trips in it this year as well (1200 miles round trip on two occasions). One trip with MDS on, the second with MDS off. 1st trip I saw around 20MPG, 2nd trip about 19MPG. Hope this helps! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk