Looking at 2019 Limited ... questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
I have a 4th gen 2018 Limited TE CC, 6.4 bed, 3.92 with the Hemi, every available option on the truck (no e-torque obviously). I’ve got just under 15k miles on the truck and will have had it for one year at the end of next week.

I’m averaging about 14.5MPG overall and that’s mostly city driving. The only time it drops down below is when I remote start it in the winter and absorb more idle time.

We’ve taken some long trips in it this year as well (1200 miles round trip on two occasions). One trip with MDS on, the second with MDS off. 1st trip I saw around 20MPG, 2nd trip about 19MPG. Hope this helps! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that seems to match what I'm getting, only my truck does worse lol.

John

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I have an isolated suspension issue others on the forums seem not to have and FCA is working hard to correct it. I have no sun roof or 12 inch screen but loaded everything else including the E-Torque. I have 7500 miles on the Laramie with no issues what so ever with E-torque and will get it again. The 8 inch screen works perfectly no issues. The truck gets around 18 to 20 MPG combination driven with 60 to 75 % highway driving at 60 to 70 MPH. Its smooth and strong. its my 6th Ram I have bought new. I too came from Ford 150 years ago never went back.The Ram retail was 63 got it for 57 with extended warranty. My pull capacity is 11200 Lbs with payload of 1450. 4x4 with 5.7 bed no ram boxes. 3.92 gear with 5.7 bed.Power running boards is awesome. You will like a Ram for sure.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that seems to match what I'm getting, only my truck does worse lol.

John

Figure a 5th gen with slight weight savings and e-torque as an option should eek out slightly better numbers than my 4th gen 2018 assuming the same options and same CC 6.4 bed footprint. Figure a CC 5.7 bed on the slightly shorter frame offers up a bit more weight savings as well.

Since you want the ramboxes, IIRC the 6.4 bed on a 5th gen doesn’t have this available just yet, so you may only be able to find a 5.7 bed with ramboxes.

I’m currently leasing my 2018 for 39 months and will probably turn it in when the time comes for what will be a 2022 Limited model at that time. I will probably lease the 2022 for 2-3 years, and then my plan is to find an off lease TRX in 2023-24 which I will purchase in cash (assuming it’s actually released) and that could well be my last truck as it will largely only be driven occasionally for leisure trips, towing, and such. By then we are targeting our first all electric vehicle for my wife, and I will use her current 2013 Accord as my daily driver until it dies. [emoji3]

foolsh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Blackout edition,Hemi 5.7 etorque
I have the E-torque with 3.92 gears, I have almost 4k miles, so far no problem. I get about 17 to 18mpg Average, better if you try not to punch it all the time, but with 3.92 gears your MPG will drop going over 70mph.

Beat advice I can give you, Order your Ram how you want it, if not you will always second guess your decision, But you'll still love the truck.:)

OP
OP
D

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
I took the Limited out again today, 40 some miles, mostly highway. Averaged 17.8 on-screen. Liked it a lot ,but they low-balled my trade and wouldn't come much off sticker, so they still wanted 51k OTD. I passed.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took the Limited out again today, 40 some miles, mostly highway. Averaged 17.8 on-screen. Liked it a lot ,but they low-balled my trade and wouldn't come much off sticker, so they still wanted 51k OTD. I passed.

What are you looking for in so far as trade equity?

OP
OP
D

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
That’s trade in value, do you owe anything against that amount, or is your current truck paid off?

The Ford dealer offered me $38.5k in August, 4k miles less on it ,but it's got new tires on it now too. Disappointing. I plan to take it to carmax tomorrow. I still owe on it, but only like $19k. Truck is super clean.

John

Marusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I usually post on the 5thGenRams forum, thus my lack of credentials on this one. I have a '19 Longhorn crew, etorque 5.7, off-road, AIR SUSPENSION, Ramboxes, 3.21, 33-gal, MSRP $70k. Gas mileage: overall 15.4 to date. I did a highway test on a nearly flat stretch of 50 miles here in Virginia, with occasional lights. I filled up with 89 (at a merciful $2.25/gallon), set cruise at 60. In 50 miles I checked and it was at 19.4. I too have crap knees and HIGHLY recommend the air suspension. I have found numerous advantages - ease of entry, exit and loading; ability to raise body to avoid really bad mud splatter; ability to raise bed to limit access to casual parking lot thieves. I'd at least consider Ramboxes UNLESS you have a need for a shell or a tonneau or bars or just about anything else that attaches to the bed. I went for them because I like the simplicity of a rectangular bed (easy to wash out leaves). There is no problem carrying sheet goods as the published 48.1" bed witdth with Ramboxes is fiction. Depending on where you measure it is at least an inch bigger. I have published on the other forum my plans for fabricating horizontal inserts in the Ramboxes to make their goofy dimensions usable. For $995 I think the cost is very reasonable IF you can live with the non-standard bed. I like my eTorque (see left) but it is NOT as smooth as others'. It will jerk unless I allow just a bit of time between letting off the brake and hitting the gas. I have no need to tow and even if I did would think twice about the 3.92. 1st is awfully low with 3.21 anyway. Once underway I find that I'm in 7th much of the time and it is perfectly comfortable, so if a load limited me to 6th or 7th, I believe the engine speed would be the same as with the 3.92 in a higher gear; and I'd get the benefit of lower rpm when cruising in 8th with no load. How do I get in the bed? At 74 I can still step over the tailgate, using the bumper step. (Aside: The cheesey plastic pads on the bumpers are as slick as Walmart shoe soles, so be careful.) With the tailgate down I use a little plastic stool. If the Fiat engineers are successful in designing a $500 deployable step, I might buy that - but a $10 stool will be superior - just not sexy.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I bought a 2019 Laramie 1500 4x2 crew cab in Patriot blue equipped closely to some of the Limiteds I test drove. It came with the air suspension leveling, sun roof, level 2 interior, 3.92 rear gear, trailer tow brake, spray-in bed liner, 33 gallon fuel tank and my wife and I are crazy over it. We bought it to tow our travel trailer around the country now that we've retired. I steered away from the eTorque because it is something more that can go wrong and I didn't need it. As equipped the truck is rated to tow 10K pounds and our tow behind trailer is only 6K.
What I didn't like about the Limited was the 12" screen and the fact that most were 4x4 which we didn't need or want. I think the 12" screen is too big, is distracting, and not necessary. One dealer told me that the factory was having difficulty getting enough 12" screens and their reliability was questionable. The 8-3/4" in my Laramie is more than adequate.
A couple of the "must haves" I didn't see listed are the power folding mirrors with blind spot detection and the parking assist alert system. DON'T GET THE TOW MIRRORS. I think about almost getting them every time I pull up to an ATM or a drive through pharmacy. With them extending out far beyond your normal reach, they have to be manually folded in so add to some parking problems. The regular side mirrors give me plenty of visibility with my 22' trailer, and the blind spot detection zone includes the trailer. You will have blind spots so the blind spot detection is worth the money. Likewise the parking assist alert system is a must because you can't see over the hood. I'm 6 foot and even with the driver's seat as high as it will go I still have problems when pulling into a parking spot. Without the detection I would be lucky to get within a couple of feet of the car on the other side of the line and then the rear of the truck sticks out inviting it to be run in to. With it I get within a foot. This is critical because the front of the truck has a lot of plastic that will damage easily.
As far as the MPG, I am not a lead foot but have averaged 15 MPG around town with little highway driving, and as much as 20 MPG when solely driving the freeway at 70 MPH with the cruise control on. My first trip towing the trailer I got 11.5 MPG. Since I bought the truck I've averaged 16.5 MPG overall. These are actual MPG's not what is showing on the dashboard which usually shows about 1 MPG higher.
The sticker price on my truck was $58K and we got it for $49K and change out the door. The one thing I will be getting is the extended warranty. With all the electronics I am weary of them going bad.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
D

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
So, I took my truck to CarMax yesterday ... $33k is what they offered. $5.5k less than 5mo and 5k miles ago. Bummer. Guess the new 19s being on the lot has dropped my truck's value again. Oh well. Will have to find a dealer willing to go 20% off sticker for me to get to around $45k OTD. Dealer I went to on Saturday was only about 10% off, not nearly good enough. I'm thinking I'll have to wait for Truck Month when the incentives ought to go up, or [gasp] the end of the model year.

I usually post on the 5thGenRams forum, thus my lack of credentials on this one. I have a '19 Longhorn crew, etorque 5.7, off-road, AIR SUSPENSION, Ramboxes, 3.21, 33-gal, MSRP $70k. Gas mileage: overall 15.4 to date. I did a highway test on a nearly flat stretch of 50 miles here in Virginia, with occasional lights. I filled up with 89 (at a merciful $2.25/gallon), set cruise at 60. In 50 miles I checked and it was at 19.4. I too have crap knees and HIGHLY recommend the air suspension. I have found numerous advantages - ease of entry, exit and loading; ability to raise body to avoid really bad mud splatter; ability to raise bed to limit access to casual parking lot thieves. I'd at least consider Ramboxes UNLESS you have a need for a shell or a tonneau or bars or just about anything else that attaches to the bed. I went for them because I like the simplicity of a rectangular bed (easy to wash out leaves). There is no problem carrying sheet goods as the published 48.1" bed witdth with Ramboxes is fiction. Depending on where you measure it is at least an inch bigger. I have published on the other forum my plans for fabricating horizontal inserts in the Ramboxes to make their goofy dimensions usable. For $995 I think the cost is very reasonable IF you can live with the non-standard bed. I like my eTorque (see left) but it is NOT as smooth as others'. It will jerk unless I allow just a bit of time between letting off the brake and hitting the gas. I have no need to tow and even if I did would think twice about the 3.92. 1st is awfully low with 3.21 anyway. Once underway I find that I'm in 7th much of the time and it is perfectly comfortable, so if a load limited me to 6th or 7th, I believe the engine speed would be the same as with the 3.92 in a higher gear; and I'd get the benefit of lower rpm when cruising in 8th with no load. How do I get in the bed? At 74 I can still step over the tailgate, using the bumper step. (Aside: The cheesey plastic pads on the bumpers are as slick as Walmart shoe soles, so be careful.) With the tailgate down I use a little plastic stool. If the Fiat engineers are successful in designing a $500 deployable step, I might buy that - but a $10 stool will be superior - just not sexy.

Thanks - yeah, I don't care about the bed shape - the RAM Boxes would be more useful than the bed space they occupy. I did see a 2019 RAM today with RAM Boxes, AND it had a tonneau cover! Not sure which one, but *something* fits the new trucks. I definitely need a tonneau cover because of my family's road trips - it's where our luggage (and as in the case with Christmas a few weeks ago, all the Christmas presents) goes.

I still haven't driven a 3.21 truck, but the 3.92 definitely has enough getup to it. I appreciate the extra acceleration. I've driven a couple of 3.31-RAR F-150s with the 5.0, and it's not quick enough for my tastes in my commuting traffic. I'll pay a slight fuel economy penalty to be able to romp on the go pedal to get out and around other drivers.

I too, have been keeping an eye on the under-bumper step. It'll be a must-have for me, for sure! The only way my wife can get into the bed of my F-150 is to use the tailgate step and grab handle - she's just too short. (ok, she could probably climb in, but why make it more difficult for her?)

I bought a 2019 Laramie 1500 4x2 crew cab in Patriot blue equipped closely to some of the Limiteds I test drove. It came with the air suspension leveling, sun roof, level 2 interior, 3.92 rear gear, trailer tow brake, spray-in bed liner, 33 gallon fuel tank and my wife and I are crazy over it. We bought it to tow our travel trailer around the country now that we've retired. I steered away from the eTorque because it is something more that can go wrong and I didn't need it. As equipped the truck is rated to tow 10K pounds and our tow behind trailer is only 6K.
What I didn't like about the Limited was the 12" screen and the fact that most were 4x4 which we didn't need or want. I think the 12" screen is too big, is distracting, and not necessary. One dealer told me that the factory was having difficulty getting enough 12" screens and their reliability was questionable. The 8-3/4" in my Laramie is more than adequate.
A couple of the "must haves" I didn't see listed are the power folding mirrors with blind spot detection and the parking assist alert system. DON'T GET THE TOW MIRRORS. I think about almost getting them every time I pull up to an ATM or a drive through pharmacy. With them extending out far beyond your normal reach, they have to be manually folded in so add to some parking problems. The regular side mirrors give me plenty of visibility with my 22' trailer, and the blind spot detection zone includes the trailer. You will have blind spots so the blind spot detection is worth the money. Likewise the parking assist alert system is a must because you can't see over the hood. I'm 6 foot and even with the driver's seat as high as it will go I still have problems when pulling into a parking spot. Without the detection I would be lucky to get within a couple of feet of the car on the other side of the line and then the rear of the truck sticks out inviting it to be run in to. With it I get within a foot. This is critical because the front of the truck has a lot of plastic that will damage easily.
As far as the MPG, I am not a lead foot but have averaged 15 MPG around town with little highway driving, and as much as 20 MPG when solely driving the freeway at 70 MPH with the cruise control on. My first trip towing the trailer I got 11.5 MPG. Since I bought the truck I've averaged 16.5 MPG overall. These are actual MPG's not what is showing on the dashboard which usually shows about 1 MPG higher.
The sticker price on my truck was $58K and we got it for $49K and change out the door. The one thing I will be getting is the extended warranty. With all the electronics I am weary of them going bad.
Hope this helps.

+1 on NO tow mirrors - I have read the threads where the addition of tow mirrors causes other things (like BLIS) to be removed - no thank you!

I'll have to disagree with you on the 12" screen. I find it quite useful, and during my test drive on Saturday, I set the nav as the top card and media as the bottom one, and it didn't get in the way of me driving. I understand some of them have issues - this one was fine (granted, the truck had <100 miles on it) for the time I used it.

I have the BLIS system on my truck, as well as parallel park assist, both of which I use daily. I like the idea of front sensors too, right now I have to push a button to see my front camera, rather than just relying on the front sensors (which Ford doesn't offer, on ANY trim level) for parking.

-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
John, re: getting into and out of the bed, several third parties offer a retractable bed step. I plan on ordering one very soon. I believe RAM plans on offering one for the 2019 before long but it's not available as of this writing (as far as I can tell).

I owned F150s for 20 yrs. Made the change to a RAM 1500 Limited this past August. I'm loving it so far!

If you are planning on garaging your new RAM, measure your garage. My 1500 is a couple of inches longer than my F150 was. It just barely fits in my garage.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Ford dealer offered me $38.5k in August, 4k miles less on it ,but it's got new tires on it now too. Disappointing. I plan to take it to carmax tomorrow. I still owe on it, but only like $19k. Truck is super clean.

John

What is the current KBB trade in value on your truck for your area?

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
...I had a 2011 F-150 Lariat where the rear slider failed, the touch screen colors went funky, and then the sunroof broke in the tilted-up position (the first two less than 3 months after the warranty ended...

4. Any "must have" options? ...RAM Box...

-John

My 2005 1500 Ram SLT Cd player failed three months after warranty. The rest of the radio works, and I send cell phone music app songs to the stereo, so it's not a big deal but man did that fry my bacon! Three months after warranty!!!! Really?!

They don't make the Ram Box for the 6 foot bed. Only the girl's version, grocery carrier, 5-foot bed can get a Ram Box.

OP
OP
D

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
My 2005 1500 Ram SLT Cd player failed three months after warranty. The rest of the radio works, and I send cell phone music app songs to the stereo, so it's not a big deal but man did that fry my bacon! Three months after warranty!!!! Really?!

They don't make the Ram Box for the 6 foot bed. Only the girl's version, grocery carrier, 5-foot bed can get a Ram Box.

OR, the shorter bed could be for those of us who don't have space for the longer truck, need the cab space more than the bed space, or just plain don't want the longer truck. Be nice.

-John

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OR, the shorter bed could be for those of us who don't have space for the longer truck, need the cab space more than the bed space, or just plain don't want the longer truck. Be nice.

-John

I expect Ramboxes will become available for the 5th gen 6.4 beds eventually, just not for the 2019 model year best guess. I'd surmise the availability for 1500 6.4 bed ramboxes will be tied to the 2500 series refresh next model year, since they share the same 6.4 bed from a manufacturing standpoint IIRC.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Between KBB and NADA, the range was $35-37k for trade-in.

-John

Gotcha, so you are looking at about 17k in trade equity. I'm seeing prices for the loaded 2019 Limited models in the 60-62k range (MSRP 68-70k), so 60-62k minus trade equity is 43-45k plus TTL best guess.