Looking At Used Ram Trucks 2011 to 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auggie1956

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
I'm a bit edgy about these drive trains on the newer trucks. I worked for twelve years for small feet of 90's diesel 3500s. These trucks were beaten to death as the boss refused to maintain them. Mechanically we had no engine failures but fuel systems were the main failure. I'm also looking a Hemi powered trucks, however, I see a lot of valve train failures. It's rare to find a truck with less than 80k miles and up. The other thing is two wheel drive trucks are extremely rare as is the 2500, which is what I'm looking for. I wrenched professionally from 68' to 04' and was never impressed in the longevity of four-wheel drive trucks back then. I'm a three Dodge pickup owner past and present. I have had little trouble with any of them. So I'm looking for advice on the above. We tow a fifth wheel with our 01' 2500 360V8 that handles the tow pretty well except on mountain roads so we want something newer with a little more power. How are these three mentioned drive trains holding up?

Many Thanks

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
If looking for a 2500, the 6.4 is a great engine! And I'm a 5 time Cummins owner.

I met the head contractor who does all of the renovations for Chick-fil-A Nationwide. He runs a fleet of Hemi 2500 Rams, and he runs all of them up to 450, 000 miles before he gets rid of them. He tried GM's but they couldn't hold up.

If you are looking for a 1500, get one with the 8-speed transmission, that transmission is a game changer for the half ton truck.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 4x4 in the newer dodges seems to be fine. The fuel systems also see to be pretty robust. You could go gas in a 3/4-1 ton, but if towing and mountain grades are involved may as well go Diesel for the added power, fuel economy and EXHAUST BREAK. The 6.4 is pretty reliable, haven’t seen any cam failures on it yet. Some high mileage guys on the forum floating around. It all comes down to personal preference. Only 4x4 systems I have ever had issues with are fords, and it’s typically just the Hubs.

OP
OP
Auggie1956

Auggie1956

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
Many thanks, gentlemen.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The fuel system issues you saw on the diesel rigs were more than likely caused by not changing out fuel filters when required, bad fuel and air and water getting into the lift pump and injectors.

Many private owners do a better job at mantaining their rigs and they add better fuel filtering systems, such as those offered by FASS and Air Dog.

I've owned a 5.7L HEMI powered MegaCab, a 5.9L CTD, a 6.4L HEMI and now a 6.7 CTD. I pulled trailers with each and I can say that I much preferred the 5.9L CTD over the 5.7L HEMI. The 6.4L HEMI was a fine truck and pulled well except over some of the steeper grades in high ambient temps. There were times I wished I had a diesel when pulling up over the Cascade & Blue Mountain ranges out here.

The 6.7L CTD is a great engine. Once I got past the DEF system issues I ran into, I can't say that I've had a better pulling truck.

Good luck with your choice.