Looking to buy by month end…stuck between Rebel and Powerwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m definitely not the payload police I would never throw stones in this glass house, as I too have pushed the limits of the little door sticker.

Before I bought a PW I was on this forum and the other PW forum site and read all about the install for bags and the benefit. That’s what got me to trade in my 1/2 for a PW. the bags and onboard air are on my short list for mods.

for simplicity sake, even if planning on doing an onboard air setup for tires, i would still splurge on the airlift dual path auto air setup... not overly expensive, and stupid simple setup.

Kayphix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V8
The break in period for me was 2-3k and a oil change before I started getting 16-17 on a regular bases on 89 octane.
Post a picture of your 19

View attachment 189264

View attachment 189265

Awesome! When did you get your first oil change? I was thinking 3-5k.
Here is my PW. I need to go under and cut the zip ties to the winch, show it off.

Edit: Just saw your other reply about the oil change. Thanks!

20191215_161814.jpg

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Awesome! When did you get your first oil change? I was thinking 3-5k.
Here is my PW. I need to go under and cut the zip ties to the winch, show it off.

Edit: Just saw your other reply about the oil change. Thanks!

View attachment 189271
Speaking of winch, the power wagon should come with a UV protectant wrap that goes over the rope 2 feet. make sure you have that and obviously the remote control. Both did not come with A friends and he had to go back to get them.
You said it is still wrapped up? Need the hook as well.

Jason jm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Hey,

It’s one of those threads…I can’t be the only one who’s debated :)

Test drove both the rebel and powerwagon….man this is a tough decision. The truck will be my daily driver. No off-roading (don’t bust my balls…95% of pick-up trucks are not used as they are intended).

I’ve owned a few 1500 series pick-up trucks so the 2500 is appealing.

Is the 2500 series with the 6.4L significantly worse on gas? From what I’ve seen on youtube, the 2500 was getting 16 mpg and the 1500 at 17 mpg. It doesn’t seem too different, but input from others is appreciated (MPG is important if we are talking about 10 mpg vs 17 mpg).

Anyone in a similar situation, does the size of the 2500 get annoying for maneuvering around?

Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

I did a search and surprised I didn’t find much.

i went through the same thing. I ended getting the power wagon. here are the plusses for each

REBEL 1500
1) more comfortable.
2) better rear seats and better use of space in rear seats
3) slightly (very slightly) better gas mileage
4) drives better on road
5) easier to manouver, smaller and better turning circle

Power Wagon
1) looks better (IMO)
2) way better offroad capability (and I offroad a lot) - too many advantages over rebel 1500 to mention
3) bigger bed (and i haul dirtbikes)
4) can haul more stuff in flatbed
5) winch (for offroading)
6) lower price for same features (this was big for me)
7) better predicted resale value (this was big for me)
8) meets full classification of a work truck for tax write off (this was big for me) if purchased through business

I probably would have been happy with the rebel too.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
i went through the same thing. I ended getting the power wagon. here are the plusses for each

REBEL 1500
1) more comfortable.
2) better rear seats and better use of space in rear seats
3) slightly (very slightly) better gas mileage
4) drives better on road
5) easier to manouver, smaller and better turning circle

Power Wagon
1) looks better (IMO)
2) way better offroad capability (and I offroad a lot) - too many advantages over rebel 1500 to mention
3) bigger bed (and i haul dirtbikes)
4) can haul more stuff in flatbed
5) winch (for offroading)
6) lower price for same features (this was big for me)
7) better predicted resale value (this was big for me)
8) meets full classification of a work truck for tax write off (this was big for me) if purchased through business

I probably would have been happy with the rebel too.
Nice write up. I agree.
When the TRX comes to town, I believe a few of us might change our tune...
It looks to good to be true. But has a “Raptor killer” the Wagon may benefit in the near future with the same bold look as the TRX as an option??
https://www.ramtrucks.com/special-editions/1500/trx.html

Jason jm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
TRX will be in a totally difference price range, wont be a fair comparison.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at my EVIC today and it states 14.4 over last 15,000 miles. So, it’s really about 13 based and past hand calculations. That’s highway with a lot of idle time on the farm with AC running. I also tow a 6,000 boat to the coast and leave it locked in 4th so it doesn’t shift and get about 8 on those trips. I make a bunch of short runs with 2,000 to 3,000 lbs and tow 10,000 to 12,000 lbs on the farm in 4 wheel drive. So, 13 not so bad and can see a stock 2019 getting 16 if left stock. I went with PW based on what Olyelr said and no reason for me to restate that. Also, 2 friends of mine had the same year Powerstroke I had. I left mine stock and average 17 and they lifted theirs and put 35’s and they got 13 to 15(one guy drives aggressive all the time). So the MPG question can range on if you modify the truck. I keep mine stock as I would rather spend money on boats and guns!

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
TRX will be in a totally difference price range, wont be a fair comparison.
You think? consider:
If the Rebel is 10k less then the PW and the TRX cost 10k or even 20k more then we can compare as long as the OP is not factoring in price. Like the OP on this thread, he never mentioned $$ just GPMs. Though I guess money is in the equation if gpm is a factor.
if gas is $2 per gal and the PW got 2 mpg less per gal over the course of 20k miles that is $313.00
On simple math (not to bore you with my nerdyness) that is only a a cost of $1,565 in 100k miles on the truck.
So in reality if you can get the gravel for 10,000 less than the power wagon then you getting it for$11,565 less (if kept for 100k)
That’s is why GPMs does not matter to me. PW runs off of SPM ( smiles per mile) I have been told. cheers

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I like both trucks.... couldn't get the bench seat in the front of the rebel though. better deal on the leftover PW when I bought. My little cousin asked if he can have the pw when I die.

one other downside to the pw... People can't park close enough to it. Seriously.

IMG_8671.jpeg

Flea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 2017 Rebel that was repurchased under the lemon law.
I have been struggling with FCA to get a PW I ordered back in August and will most likely be purchasing one comparable to the one I tried to order off of a lot.
I noticed quite a few issues with the Rebels on the forums from others too, but seldom see issued with the PW. I am sure they have them as well, and I am sure they have improved the Rebel at this point, but I went from a 2500HD Silverado to the Rebel and regretted going down in truck size.
Although, the 1500s do have a higher load/trailer rating than the PW.
Who knows ... maybe I will prefer a 1500 over a PW ... if i ever get one to compare.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I like both trucks.... couldn't get the bench seat in the front of the rebel though. better deal on the leftover PW when I bought. My little cousin asked if he can have the pw when I die.

one other downside to the pw... People can't park close enough to it. Seriously.

View attachment 189281
That’s hilarious
my son asked why People put those spikes on their wide rims that stick out a foot, and I told him, it is so they do not have to worry about having to get in and out of the car in the parking lot. Haha.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey,

It’s one of those threads…I can’t be the only one who’s debated :)

Test drove both the rebel and powerwagon….man this is a tough decision. The truck will be my daily driver. No off-roading (don’t bust my balls…95% of pick-up trucks are not used as they are intended).

I’ve owned a few 1500 series pick-up trucks so the 2500 is appealing.

Is the 2500 series with the 6.4L significantly worse on gas? From what I’ve seen on youtube, the 2500 was getting 16 mpg and the 1500 at 17 mpg. It doesn’t seem too different, but input from others is appreciated (MPG is important if we are talking about 10 mpg vs 17 mpg).

Anyone in a similar situation, does the size of the 2500 get annoying for maneuvering around?

Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

I did a search and surprised I didn’t find much.

I went to the dealership last month looking to buy a Rebel and test drove a Power Wagon first and afterwards, didn't even other test driving a Rebel. Don't regret the purchase of the PW one bit.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Speaking of winch, the power wagon should come with a UV protectant wrap that goes over the rope 2 feet. make sure you have that and obviously the remote control. Both did not come with A friends and he had to go back to get them.
You said it is still wrapped up? Need the hook as well.

General question - do you use the UV wrap even if none of the rope is exposed?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
General question - do you use the UV wrap even if none of the rope is exposed?
I did just take it from a wrap to sucking it all the way in. I left the UV protector on and winched in after I got done using it last week. The little bit that is now exposed got some uv silicon smeared on it.

if y’all PW owners don’t know that before you use the winch you want to pull it completely out (till the drum has one full wrap on it. About 6-9 revs)and pull it back in under a load. Set the parking brake if you cannot pull your truck up a hill. I learned the hard way as the cable or rope will pinch it self around the drum and it will be next to impossible to pull it out by hand.

E7BAA682-CD3A-4D5A-89C1-1B841A8E20C4.jpeg

4001F15D-ADA5-476E-ABCF-1CF319C9725D.jpeg

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I did just take it from a wrap to sucking it all the way in. I left the UV protector on and winched in after I got done using it last week. The little bit that is now exposed got some uv silicon smeared on it.

if y’all PW owners don’t know that before you use the winch you want to pull it completely out (till the drum has one full wrap on it. About 6-9 revs)and pull it back in under a load. Set the parking brake if you cannot pull your truck up a hill. I learned the hard way as the cable or rope will pinch it self around the drum and it will be next to impossible to pull it out by hand.

Thanks - doing the tension procedure was one of the first things I did and I also put some silicone around the hook. I just wasn't sure about the UV protector since I'm not sure there's anyway for the sunlight to get to the drum (unless you truck is upside down or pointing straight up in the air). :)

Txkenpo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I had a 17 Rebel it was a fun truck I put a Flow master super 10 and loved it....When I romping on it, but the MDS drove me nuts sounded like a Honda on steroids when it kicked in.

That and the fact I developed the HEMI tick and not the trucks fault. But when I tow my dads 50HP tractor with front end loader and brush hog. The truck pulled it but it was a load on it going up these East TX hills. And honestly not the trucks fault but with that 16’ trailer it would get squirrelly pretty quick.

But I loved the truck.

With that said when I took it in for service to fix the lifter/ Rocker arm bearings tick. I was offered a hell of a deal on a new 18 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4.

It’s not the Power Wagon but if you pull a trailer no comparison night and day. Gas mileage in this truck 19.5 to 20.5 daily driver 120 miles round trip. Vs 15-17 in my Rebel. I do REALLY miss the 8.4 U connect but other than that I love my new truck.

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you just know in your heart. I drove a rebel and liked it, but the PowerWagon was love. I think the grin on my face told my wife we were getting a power wagon. It wouldn't hurt if they put the 6.4 Hemi in the rebel either. I drove a few other trucks and a raptor (if it still had a V8 might have stood a better chance), but there was just something about the PW.

Lickity Split

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone think theres any merit in thinking that there is more longevity in a PW over a 1500? Driving conditions aside, with 2500's not having to comply with EPA regulations would there not be less things to potentially go wrong in a PW?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You think? consider:
If the Rebel is 10k less then the PW and the TRX cost 10k or even 20k more then we can compare as long as the OP is not factoring in price. Like the OP on this thread, he never mentioned $$ just GPMs. Though I guess money is in the equation if gpm is a factor.
if gas is $2 per gal and the PW got 2 mpg less per gal over the course of 20k miles that is $313.00
On simple math (not to bore you with my nerdyness) that is only a a cost of $1,565 in 100k miles on the truck.
So in reality if you can get the gravel for 10,000 less than the power wagon then you getting it for$11,565 less (if kept for 100k)
That’s is why GPMs does not matter to me. PW runs off of SPM ( smiles per mile) I have been told. cheers

im just guessing here, but i bet the trx is gonna be a $90-100k truck.