Loss of power, MPG down, Poor throttle response.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamoX413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys just when I thought I got her running right my 01 Ram 5.2 popped codes for a large and small evap leak.

My MPG are down, I've lost a lot of power, on the interstate I can smash on the throttle and it doesn't want to downshift and take off like normal. Also I'm getting a lot of noise from my PCV valve that I haven't heard before. I pull it from the valve cover and there's an unbelievable amount of suction on the PCV valve that I haven't noticed before.

Wondering if the plenum gasket has failed maybe? I'm going to look for oil pooling this evening.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys just when I thought I got her running right my 01 Ram 5.2 popped codes for a large and small evap leak.

My MPG are down, I've lost a lot of power, on the interstate I can smash on the throttle and it doesn't want to downshift and take off like normal. Also I'm getting a lot of noise from my PCV valve that I haven't heard before. I pull it from the valve cover and there's an unbelievable amount of suction on the PCV valve that I haven't noticed before.

Wondering if the plenum gasket has failed maybe? I'm going to look for oil pooling this evening.
To verify that the plenum gasket is leaking or not, disconnect the breather hose from the air intake and place your thumb over the hose. If you feel a strong vacuum pretty quick then the plenum gasket is leaking. Make sure all of the engine vacuum lines and connections are intact. Inspect the EVAP canister and the leak detection pump hoses for cracks and leaks.

OP
OP
C

CamoX413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To verify that the plenum gasket is leaking or not, disconnect the breather hose from the air intake and place your thumb over the hose. If you feel a strong vacuum pretty quick then the plenum gasket is leaking. Make sure all of the engine vacuum lines and connections are intact. Inspect the EVAP canister and the leak detection pump hoses for cracks and leaks.

Removed the breather hose. There's a small amount of suction but not much.

Sprayed around the engine bay with carb cleaner but no change in engine idle.

Going to open the throttle plates and take a look now.

Will check evap hoses near the evap canister soon.

I literally have no power at all until the gas pedal hits the floor and even then it's not as much as usual

OP
OP
C

CamoX413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My PCV valve starting making a lot of noise also. I can hear it with the engine running a loud buzzing sound.

Changed it just now but that didn't change anything. It's still noisy and I can feel the massive amount of air being sucked through it when I grab the hose

OP
OP
C

CamoX413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pulled the throttle body definitely have some black oil pooling in the back. Maybe a soda cap full or 2