Low Beams on 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoseTopaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L I6 Cummings Diesel
I've inherited a '97 2500 from my grandfather. I can not get the lowbeams to work for the life of me. The running lights & high beams both work as do the turn signals.

I'm really at a loss, and short of going to a mechanic I can't seem to pin point where the problem is.
I've replaced the bulbs as well as the headlamp switch (I didn't get mine from home-depot, but it looked the same and came with a pigtail and wiring )
I checked fuses and didn't see any obviously burnt.

Any ideas on the problem? I've read something about a "bulkhead disconnect" but I can't really pin down what that is or what i'm looking for.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The bulkhead disconnect issue is wires being pulled out of the multi-function switch (turn signal) connector. Try turning the low beams on and tilting the wheel up and down and see if the lights come on and off. If so, there is a wire pulled out of the connector. It is located on the left side column under the plastic trim.

Reactions: Mop

bigdodge

Reaction score
Could also be the contacts in the turn signal arm have gone bad. Happened on my 99 with fairly low miles. Had to replace the whole arm.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
RoseTopaz

RoseTopaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L I6 Cummings Diesel
I'll try tilting the wheel tonight when I get off work! My lights come on from a pull switch off to the left of the dash board, only the high beams come on if you flip the multifuction arm forward but you have to pull out the knob before they'll do so.

I wasn't sure the low beams had anything to do with the arm itself. I thought you just pull the knob out twice(two clicks or whatever) and the low-beams would be on.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'll try tilting the wheel tonight when I get off work! My lights come on from a pull switch off to the left of the dash board, only the high beams come on if you flip the multifuction arm forward but you have to pull out the knob before they'll do so.

I wasn't sure the low beams had anything to do with the arm itself. I thought you just pull the knob out twice(two clicks or whatever) and the low-beams would be on.

These are the exact same symptoms my '97 got when my headlight switch went bad. I replaced the pull-out headlight switch and have had no problems since.

OP
OP
RoseTopaz

RoseTopaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L I6 Cummings Diesel
These are the exact same symptoms my '97 got when my headlight switch went bad. I replaced the pull-out headlight switch and have had no problems since.
I replaced the switch inside (behind the dash) but had to use the same actual pull knob. same issue. I have an appointment at a shop this week. I'm sure it's going to be something stupid.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Waste of money changing the switch if either of the beams work with the light switch, simply because the switch just sends power to the dimmer portion of the multifunction switch - then the dimmer switch selects the beam. Pretty sure the "flash to pass" function has a different power supply to the M/F/S. Still thinking there is a compromised terminal in the connector for the M/F/S.