Low RPM Trans Slip? 8HP70

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
@TheEnder you may be 100% correct in that its "normal". My issues with this are: 1) there are many knowledgeable guys on here, even some techs, where if this were normal it would have been solved shortly after my post (same as all the other posts where people are seeing this. 2) i have talked to tuners and builders of the 8hp70. they have noticed more slip with aftermarket fluids and now recommend mopar / zf. 3) if it were normal operations to protect the trans, wouldnt essentially all 8hp70 vehicles exhibit the same behavior?

My last 2 rams were a 6 speed (2014) and an 8 speed (2016). current truck is a 14. Previous trucks did not do this. last drain and refill i had coloration in the fluid. no chunks but colorful "dust" where the tech (cummins tech) said he was concerned. Like i said, time will tell.

as for video, ill try to at some point.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
@TheEnder you may be 100% correct in that its "normal". My issues with this are: 1) there are many knowledgeable guys on here, even some techs, where if this were normal it would have been solved shortly after my post (same as all the other posts where people are seeing this. 2) i have talked to tuners and builders of the 8hp70. they have noticed more slip with aftermarket fluids and now recommend mopar / zf. 3) if it were normal operations to protect the trans, wouldnt essentially all 8hp70 vehicles exhibit the same behavior?

My last 2 rams were a 6 speed (2014) and an 8 speed (2016). current truck is a 14. Previous trucks did not do this. last drain and refill i had coloration in the fluid. no chunks but colorful "dust" where the tech (cummins tech) said he was concerned. Like i said, time will tell.

All transmissions have slight (slight) variations between them, there’s no way to make them 100% perfect 100% of the time.

As for what me and a few other people have had with the 6 speed, i found a video with the “slip” listed below:

I’m thinking it may be programming and possibly a different rev of the 8HP70, as in 2013-2014 model year trucks i’m 50% sure the gear ratios were different from 2015+ model year trucks.

My thought process is that if it ain’t throwing a check engine light, it’s not broke, but who knows. You can try a torque converter test (or trans test) by maxing out braking force, putting your truck in drive and flooring the gas pedal for 3 seconds, and writing down the stall speed (point of which the engine stops climbing in RPM.)

Too low RPM means your torque converter is possibly shot, and too high means the internals of the trans are worn and are ready for a replacement/rebuild. I’m mostly experienced with the 6 speed; not many issues with the 8 speed. The 6 speed is a whole different beast when it comes to issues. (essentially non stop)

Sent from iPhone XS Max

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

I’d worry about metal flakes in the fluid, could be the aluminum stator in the torque converter eating itself to nothing.

Sent from iPhone XS Max

Bigg Greene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tuned/deleted 6.7 L, Hardway tune/deletes/exhaust selectable to 550 Hp
My 2013 started acting funny about a month ago. First thing in the morning, (So Florida, so it's not cold) I select drive and nothing happens for about 15-20 seconds. My driveway is a very SLIGHT downhill for about 15 feet. At the end of my driveway the truck engages and accelerates normally and off I go. It shifts all day long up and down normally, Does not overheat on interstate runs of 20-30 miles. (170 deg ) Onlyoccurs in the morning. Tranny shop is stumped but its still costing me $2500 for odd parts and labor to look at it !! No metal in anything. I have full delets, a Hardaway tune (535 Hp) which is selectable. I rarely select it. around town is stock Hp. I dont tow anymore. Has been rebuilt once 'cause I was doing burnouts and other really stupid stuff coupla years ago. Now I drive it like the old manI am.......any ideas??