Low speed running in too high of a gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsherv

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the V6 and 3.55 differential. The truck has about 22,000 miles on it and so far I love the truck. However, this Summer I started noticing something: When I'm driving at low speeds (lets say 25 to 30 MPH), the transmission seems to shift up to 6th gear. The result is that the engine runs at 1,000 to 1,100 RPM's. I feel a slight "shudder" in the drive train. It's like when you are driving a manual transmission and have it in too high of a gear.

The truck is still under factory warranty and it's going into the shop on Friday. I want to be proactive and try to find out if this is a typical issue and if others are experiencing the same thing?

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Enjoy your day in the shop. You will be told it’s normal, which it is. Solution A: Drive faster. Solution B: Limit it to 5th in town.
Also, if you drive like granny all the time, the truck will learn this and shift accordingly. Hammer down!

OP
OP
T

tsherv

Reaction score
That makes sense...but, it's hard to "hammer down" in 25 MPH speed zones. The issue isn't terrible, but it's just annoying. You feel this slight "shudder" in the throttle.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Drive it like you stole it every once in a while. The adaptive learning has you in granny mode.
She needs a spanking every now and then to wake her up!

I drive mine in a spirited manner frequently, but I do notice that if I forget to shift it out of MDS mode and I'm in town driving that it too doesn't like it and drives like helen keller on sleeping pills.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Do the V6 trucks have MDS? If so, try keeping it out of MDS and see if that helps. Also, like others said, beat on it a little sometimes. That will help a myriad of things in the future

Mohamed Albana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2012 hemi with 65rfe and 3.55 also 275/55/20 tires . Roar throttle controller helps a lot. I have a muffler delete and everyone wants to race when I just need a lil more torque. It can be loud just trying to pick up casually. Always makes a eco boost want to prove himself

Mohamed Albana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also my brothers 2022 v6 5th gen did this on my graduation. Had a pillow pedal just like mine stock it requires so much foot muscle memory

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drive it like you stole it every once in a while. The adaptive learning has you in granny mode.
She needs a spanking every now and then to wake her up!

I drive mine in a spirited manner frequently, but I do notice that if I forget to shift it out of MDS mode and I'm in town driving that it too doesn't like it and drives like helen keller on sleeping pills.
Easy now...some of these youngins ain't gonna know Helen Keller...lol

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Can you manually shift your trans on the steering wheel? I have a diesel and down shift for driving in town. Modern transmissions are set up for high speed driving. Going around at 25 mph in high gear does them no good. Look at the powerband for engine and try to stay in it. That means downshifting at low speeds. A tuner can be used to change your shift points.