Lug Nuts oddly sized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I was rotating my tires this weekend. On 3 of the wheels, a 22mm socket fit every lug nut perfectly. On 1 wheel, the 22mm socket fit 4 of the lug nuts perfectly and the other 4 it went about half way on and got stuck. So I tried a 24mm, too big. Tried a 7/8 and 15/16 and some other assorted sizes all either too big or too small, so I came to the conclusion that I have a handful of oddly sized lug nuts. Those for lug nuts I had to drive out of the socket with a screw driver and they're marked up like crazy now. I'm calling factory defect on this and plan to try to get my dealer to replace all 8 on that wheel. Anyone else noticed a problem like this on their rig? What's your opinion on this being a factory defect and do you think I'll have much luck getting the dealer to replace them?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Usually after a few years of road salt they corrode a bit and the metal expands to the point where they can be difficult to get with the 22. Never seen it happen on a brand new truck though.

But dont 2500 and up come with bigger than 22mm lug nuts? Like 15/16 or 24mm?

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No road salt down here in FL so I don't expect them to corrode at all. I tried a 24mm and a 15/16 socket and both of those were too big. 7/8 was close, but a there was a little more twist than I was comfortable. The 22mm was a perfect fit except for the 4 problem nuts.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you the first person to ever take them off? They are supposed to be a 22mm. Usually people will put on a 7/8" and it is just a little too big so it deforms them. I have a 22.5mm socket that is made for those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A buddy of mine had this happen on a Keystone travel trailer. When he went to tighten them after he first got the trailer he found two different sizes. One that he didn't have a socket for. The dealer told him its actually somewhat common! Hard to believe. Of course, that's with an RV where I suppose nothing should be surprising..... pretty crazy with a mainstream truck. I'd take it into the dealer and them wtf?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I can remember back in the day that Ford lug nuts had a tin cover (dust cap) on them. If that fell off, the lug nut size was right between all the sockets we had in the shop. Not that that's the problem here, but....

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Are you the first person to ever take them off? They are supposed to be a 22mm. Usually people will put on a 7/8" and it is just a little too big so it deforms them. I have a 22.5mm socket that is made for those.

Dealer has rotated them twice already. I just didn't feel like taking it in this time. I already made them replace one lug nut that they completely rounded over.

A buddy of mine had this happen on a Keystone travel trailer. When he went to tighten them after he first got the trailer he found two different sizes. One that he didn't have a socket for. The dealer told him its actually somewhat common! Hard to believe. Of course, that's with an RV where I suppose nothing should be surprising..... pretty crazy with a mainstream truck. I'd take it into the dealer and them wtf?

I plan to take it in when a get a chance but sucks not being able to get a socket or lug wrench to seat properly in the meantime.

I can remember back in the day that Ford lug nuts had a tin cover (dust cap) on them. If that fell off, the lug nut size was right between all the sockets we had in the shop. Not that that's the problem here, but....

Makes me wonder if there's some sort of cover on these nuts. The odd sized ones, you can actually see an impression in the metal from the socket. I don't know if that would have happened with a breaker bar or if the impact wrench combined with the odd sizing is what caused that but they definitely seemed softer than I would have expected from lug nuts.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There you've got your problem. I have always the discussion about power tools.
The lug nuts are a steel core and having a aluminum cast cover. if you use power tools- even to open them, you deform the aluminum cast on the core and in the worst case, the aluminum cast turns on top of the core and you can't get them nuts open at all. I had the problem and I made the dealer who broke them give me a complete set of nuts for my charger.
With the old ram I had the problem after last tire change. against my wish to open and close the nuts by hand, they used power tools. I don't know why, but 3 days later, I've seen a loose lug nut on my right front wheel. I couldn't tighten it correctly, because the lug nut was exactly how you describe. It does not take much to deform a aluminum cast lug nut.
I guess that's what happened. 4 new ones. I guess.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
There you've got your problem. I have always the discussion about power tools.
The lug nuts are a steel core and having a aluminum cast cover. if you use power tools- even to open them, you deform the aluminum cast on the core and in the worst case, the aluminum cast turns on top of the core and you can't get them nuts open at all. I had the problem and I made the dealer who broke them give me a complete set of nuts for my charger.
With the old ram I had the problem after last tire change. against my wish to open and close the nuts by hand, they used power tools. I don't know why, but 3 days later, I've seen a loose lug nut on my right front wheel. I couldn't tighten it correctly, because the lug nut was exactly how you describe. It does not take much to deform a aluminum cast lug nut.
I guess that's what happened. 4 new ones. I guess.

That's interesting. Never knew there was an aluminum cap on the lug nuts. Interesting that only 4/32 had an issue though. And before I ever hit the trigger on the impact wrench, the socket wouldn't go all the way on the nuts. So yeah, I deformed them, but they were already screwed. And the 28 that the socket fit fine to begin with, no deforming.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the same problem on my 1500. Some of the aluminum covers would start to deform and you would have to bang the sockets on with a rubber mallet. I may help correct the deformation some, but only good solution is to buy new ones. Perhaps you can find chrome plated steel nut and do away with the aluminum covers altogether.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
just a silly question, but there wasn't any corrosion, dirt, etc... on the bad ones?

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The actual size for the lug nuts is 7/8. 22mm does fit better and is also the size I prefer to use. I would find a size that fits and get it off.

You may want to get some aftermarket Gorilla Lugs that are made from one solid piece of hardened steel.

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a friend that routinely had problems with the clad spinning around the lug nut preventing him from removing the tire. He said between air tools and corrosion, they are very prone to this. I will be looking to replace mine with solid one piece lug nuts.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The actual size for the lug nuts is 7/8. 22mm does fit better and is also the size I prefer to use. I would find a size that fits and get it off.

You may want to get some aftermarket Gorilla Lugs that are made from one solid piece of hardened steel.

You are wrong on that. They are supposed to be a 22mm. People use a 7/8" socket and that is what screws them up. It is just a little bigger so it deforms the chrome cap. This is the reason there are tool companies that make a 22.5mm lug nut socket. If all you use is a good quality 22mm socket, you will not have any problems with them.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You are wrong on that. They are supposed to be a 22mm. People use a 7/8" socket and that is what screws them up. It is just a little bigger so it deforms the chrome cap. This is the reason there are tool companies that make a 22.5mm lug nut socket. If all you use is a good quality 22mm socket, you will not have any problems with them.

This!

Ran into this problem with my Jeep Wrangler. They were 22mm with the chrome caps and after about 3-4 tire rotations using a 7/8" socket, the caps were deformed to the point they had to be pin punch knocked out of the impact socket.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I've bought the Gorilla lugnuts, but I never used them. I think the McGard Tough Nuts are better quality. Plus they come in a couple of styles and even different taper seats. They are guaranteed never to rust or peel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Glad I'm not crazy! I thought the 7/8" socket spun too much before it caught and was worried it would round them over but the 22mm fit perfectly except 4. Makes me wonder if the genius tire monkeys at the dealer have been using the wrong size socket and slightly deformed those 4. Gonna have to look into some of the other options that are being mentioned in this thread as far as lug nuts. Does anyone know the thread size for these trucks off the top of their head? Maybe it's just not worth the $15 I've been paying them and it's better to just take the hour and do it myself.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they not change in 2012 or 13 from 9/16"x18, 7/8" to 14mmx1.5, 22mm?

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nope- they always was the same. Since Mercedes had Chrysler, they introduced metric sizes. the worst case was the old V8 with the new(er) transmission- all screws in motor direction was standard and all screws in transmission direction was metric- I don't want to know how many screwed the threads up by mixing the screws and not knowing. :crazy:
The lug nuts are metric.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93