"Magic" Suspension: Stock Height, Rake, Better Off- & On-Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The answer might turn out to be: don't do anything because FCA already engineered what you want and stock is as good as you're going to get.

I think I want a "magic" (AKA "have your cake & eat it too") suspension:
  • Stock height
  • Stock rake
  • 100K mile durability
  • Not too pricey (under $1K installed)
  • Better off-road
    • S M O O T H E R
  • Same (or better) on-road, esp. freeway
    • Increased body roll and/or poor handling through mountain freeways are a no go
Any suggestions?

Fully aware that I may be asking for the impossible. :)

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Subscribed! I want to see how this discussion goes.
Why do you need stock height? I'm just thinking for offroad clearances, namely approach angle, it could be beneficial to raise the front end a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bisltein 5100's are prob what you need onroad, cheap, and long lasting, they won't excel offroad though. they'll lift the nose of the truck up, so you'll get more clearance offroad. they'll work about the same as the factory offroad, take it easy on the fire roads, and they'll do you good, don't think they'll be eating washes at speed cause they're not meant for that. I don't know how the billies will feel in the RAM's, but they're firmer than stock in my crew cab Silverado, so the truck will be more sportier onroad, i wanted to try something different in the RAM. i've done spacers in other vehicles, (Toyota/Nissan/Ford), i'll never do them again, Billies and now Rancho's for level, will work a lot better, and Billies can last onroad for sure regardless of application, Billies have been firmer in all the other applicatons where i've tried them as well (top perch)

That's the reason i decided to give Ranchos a try with their quicklift setup in the RAM this time around, Bilstein have better quality in the welds, not doubts about it, and with the Billies it seems you can go 2.1 or 2.8" in the front for the RAM's, the Ranchos are only 2 1/4" higher in the front, but have some adjustability in the valving, and i wanted something i could adjust to feel as good or better than stock, so for me they're more than enough for onroad duties, i have them at #4 front and back , and i like the cushy factory ride, considering i'm running 35's at 45 psi, go figures. i've tried them at 5, 6 and 7", 4 feel about the same as factory, 5-6 are firmer like Bislteins, again, this are not suspension parts that you'll want to go fast offroading, and i have no idea how long they'll last, the billies in the Silverado have about 70k miles, and they're not leaking or anything, don't know how this Rancho's will behave in the long run, though i'm not exactly thinking i'll have them for that long, i have plans for a a mid travel setup with hi performance 2.5 coilovers, and 2.5 body shocks, both with reservoirs and valving adjusters later on, i'll be saving some, and hopefully i'll be able to give the truck a gift this coming December.

Also for offroad, something that will help even better is having at least 35's, and that's easy 2" lift from the differentials where it matters, honestly i'm not crazy for high lifed trucks, i want to make the truck better for overlanding offroad purposes, so a 2" level in the front + 2" from the tires, and she looks a lot beter to tackle more than just fire roads, but a good mid travel setup is not cheap, King/Icon/Radflo/Fox etc, will run circles around the factory did for sure, been there done that, i just not have the dove right now to replicate this in the RAM :)

Good luck.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
interesting

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribed! I want to see how this discussion goes.
Why do you need stock height? I'm just thinking for offroad clearances, namely approach angle, it could be beneficial to raise the front end a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm mostly afraid of weird problems associated with long term suspension geometry changes.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bisltein 5100's are prob what you need onroad, cheap, and long lasting, they won't excel offroad though. they'll lift the nose of the truck up, so you'll get more clearance offroad. they'll work about the same as the factory offroad, take it easy on the fire roads, and they'll do you good, don't think they'll be eating washes at speed cause they're not meant for that. I don't know how the billies will feel in the RAM's, but they're firmer than stock in my crew cab Silverado, so the truck will be more sportier onroad, i wanted to try something different in the RAM. i've done spacers in other vehicles, (Toyota/Nissan/Ford), i'll never do them again, Billies and now Rancho's for level, will work a lot better, and Billies can last onroad for sure regardless of application, Billies have been firmer in all the other applicatons where i've tried them as well (top perch)

That's the reason i decided to give Ranchos a try with their quicklift setup in the RAM this time around, Bilstein have better quality in the welds, not doubts about it, and with the Billies it seems you can go 2.1 or 2.8" in the front for the RAM's, the Ranchos are only 2 1/4" higher in the front, but have some adjustability in the valving, and i wanted something i could adjust to feel as good or better than stock, so for me they're more than enough for onroad duties, i have them at #4 front and back , and i like the cushy factory ride, considering i'm running 35's at 45 psi, go figures. i've tried them at 5, 6 and 7", 4 feel about the same as factory, 5-6 are firmer like Bislteins, again, this are not suspension parts that you'll want to go fast offroading, and i have no idea how long they'll last, the billies in the Silverado have about 70k miles, and they're not leaking or anything, don't know how this Rancho's will behave in the long run, though i'm not exactly thinking i'll have them for that long, i have plans for a a mid travel setup with hi performance 2.5 coilovers, and 2.5 body shocks, both with reservoirs and valving adjusters later on, i'll be saving some, and hopefully i'll be able to give the truck a gift this coming December.

Also for offroad, something that will help even better is having at least 35's, and that's easy 2" lift from the differentials where it matters, honestly i'm not crazy for high lifed trucks, i want to make the truck better for overlanding offroad purposes, so a 2" level in the front + 2" from the tires, and she looks a lot beter to tackle more than just fire roads, but a good mid travel setup is not cheap, King/Icon/Radflo/Fox etc, will run circles around the factory did for sure, been there done that, i just not have the dove right now to replicate this in the RAM :)

Good luck.

Thanks a ton for the info!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I put a small spacer in front and back on my ram shortly after I bought it. 1.5" front and 1" rear. I've replaced 1 tie rod end on the suspension and that's it and didn't notice a difference in ride on the road at all as all the spring rates are the same Now over 160,000 miles (260,000km) stayed with 275 65 20 to get a little more sidewall. Little better off road now that I don't bottom out on the bumps as much. 400 bucks for my lift installed with alignment. Depends on your expectations. I just went up enough to stop tearing off the front bumper skirt and gain a little more forgiveness in the ruts without losing a lot of fuel economy or rebuilding my front end every couple years. My truck is off road a lot.