Major rattle at 38-45mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I've got 98 Ram 2500 4x4 body lifted 4". It's developed a really, really bad rattle starting at 38 mph where the truck and steering wheel oscillate until I hit about 45 mph, where the problem suddenly stops, and everything is smooth above that speed.

So far, I've replaced all 4 shocks, which helped but did not fix it.
I replaced both rubber bushings on the anti sway bar. Again, helped but didn't fix it.
I found two bolts on the transfer case frame support whose boss had come off . (The bolts under the central rubber support block) I fixed that, and it seemed to fix 70% of the issue, but it still exists.
I've had it on a lift and couldn't find anything else loose or shaky.

At low speeds, (under 15 mph) there is a small squeak roughly every 4 feet. (Possibly the bed squeaking on the frame?)

What else should I be checking?

FWIW: Things worked on in last months:
  • New Cat which involved removing the skid plate and transfer case support
  • Shocks and bushings
  • New U joint on front of front drive shaft

OP
OP
S

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Mystery solved. The back right tire's tread delaminated on the highway this morning. Apparently, the inner belt was failing, making it go out of round. It made the front left corner of the truck wiggle, which was noticeable while driving which misdirected me to focus on the front suspension.

No idea why the issue went away so quickly at >45 mph. Does the rear diff lock up at that speed or something? Or do out of round tire lumps somehow smooth out at higher speeds?

P_20180711_082547_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007