Manifold screws

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Now i have to wonder,
The dealer jacked up the price & they tell you that the Head is no good.

Well if it is truly no good to them,
let them know that you want the " no good Head "

That way, you can get the original Head, get it machined,
then sell it.
If it is worth while ?

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now i have to wonder,
The dealer jacked up the price & they tell you that the Head is no good.

Well if it is truly no good to them,
let them know that you want the " no good Head "

That way, you can get the original Head, get it machined,
then sell it.
If it is worth while ?
5K for a head swap, Hahahahaha

Take your truck as far away from that sh!thole as you can.
You guys clearly didn’t read my statement; they will be covering (paying) the work. I only have a $250 copay. Only problem is that the parts are in back order so I’m probably going to be waiting roughly a month to get my truck back

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You guys clearly didn’t read my statement; they will be covering (paying) the work. I only have a $250 copay. Only problem is that the parts are in back order so I’m probably going to be waiting roughly a month to get my truck back
Actually you never clarified that statement,this was where you left off at.

" So it went from being a $1300 job to being a $5k job. They haven’t approved this yet (has to go through Chrysler) so I’m waiting on that."

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually you never clarified that statement,this was where you left off at.

" So it went from being a $1300 job to being a $5k job. They haven’t approved this yet (has to go through Chrysler) so I’m waiting on that."
“My truck was out of warranty already but after numerous weeks of waiting, they finally approved covering the work to fix it. Only thing I had to pay was a $250 co-pay. But then this happened. So it went from being a $1300 job to being a $5k job”

Lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
“My truck was out of warranty already but after numerous weeks of waiting, they finally approved covering the work to fix it. Only thing I had to pay was a $250 co-pay. But then this happened. So it went from being a $1300 job to being a $5k job”

Lol
So have they actually approved the replacement head,or are you still waiting on Chryslers approval for the head replacement.The way you worded it earlier,it sounds like they haven't approved the head replacement yet

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So have they actually approved the replacement head,or are you still waiting on Chryslers approval for the head replacement.The way you worded it earlier,it sounds like they haven't approved the head replacement yet
Still waiting. At this point I’m at their mercy

daCelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't believe they're still having these issues! I did that job on my 2009 in my driveway with my mig welder on my 2009. I have 15 years and 200K miles on her but when it's time to trade, I won't be getting another Ram.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
IMO, the dealer should be responsible for the head. They jacked it up, they need to fix it, and eat it.

Not your fault they had a crappy "welder".

Wishing you a smooth and an as painless as possible repair.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi

Lol
So I still don’t know what you are saying, no reason to change the head, those guy’s are idiots and don’t know how to mix anything
They just toss on parts
If they ding you for a new head, I would take my old one, and tell them to stick the new one
Unless you told them to go ahead and change it ,
Find a new dealer, shop.

Captain Bart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
Are you telling me they don't have anyone in that shop that can weld a nut onto that stud and wind it out? Rediculous.
My mechanic used a Snap-On jig, and drilled out the flush studs. Every dealer mechanic has access to such specialty tools. There is no reason to buy a new head.......when the original is off and on a bench, common sense dictates, that removal would be Shop Class 101.....You are being taken to the cleaners.........

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
2014 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi, I just had my exhaust manifolds and gaskets /bolts replaced by a dealer. left side had one stud seized, and right side had two, as mentioned by a senior member, the tech who did mine, mig welded a nut on the bolts that sheared off by the block and removed them no problem. so they should be able to do this simple process !! it has been used for years. worst case I would have it towed to a shop that can do it .

dordoc2506

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like they over heated the bolt, there is no signs of them welding a nut to it, just burnt metal. The only way to release a Stuck Steel Stud in the Aluminum Heads is to heat the bolt to a cherry red, then spray cold water on the bolt and head. This will break the stuck bolt. done this many times. Aluminum Expands twice as much as Steel and there should of been some type of Anti-Seize used to keep the bolt from seizing to the aluminum, dissimilar metals will do this with out the Anti-Seize being well used on the bolts!

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have spent a few hours trying to get them out sometimes its easy sometimes it takes time/work they probably tried twice and went NOPE dont go to a dealer you 100% do not need a new head i would tow it out of there asap.
We sparked up my welder right in my driveway to weld a nut onto one that was broken flush with the head. Like someone else said, it is the heat that actually does the job.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just for clarification…the guy did know Righty tighty, lefty loosey?

I just have never heard of not being able to extract this. It sounds like they just packed it in. One of my bolts took about 8 tries but I got it. They could see that thing glowing from outer space.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had two bolts that were snapped below the head. We used this https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-71500-Exhaust-Manifold-Template/dp/B00RGN96J0

to drill out the bolts that were snapped too low to get a nut and weld on them.

That head looks salvageable to me. But, a dealer may have to perform the work according to some book standard dictated by chrysler. They may not be permitted to use tools like I've linked.

Gsmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And that’s where I come in!
Pack a lunch and get comfortable.
Grind the weld flat, center punch the broken stud and drill all the way through the center of the stud till you hit air then with a ball rotary file grind out the mismatch of the weld into the head pound a square ezy-out into it and see if it will come out with a gigantic adjustable wrench. (Giant wrench lets you feel the easy-out twist before you break it) If it doesn’t come out go into the hole with a dremel tool until you see a coil of thread then chop that coil out with a sharpened reamer. Easer said than done….I kinda liked the washer trick to protect the aluminum head. Good luck

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I understand this scenario correctly, Ram is picking up most of tab for this repair under discretionary warranty. Most dealerships pay their technicians by flat-rate. If this is the case, running into a difficult, time consuming part of the repair may cause a tech. to throw up their hands to take them off the clock and seek an easier solution.

Maybe this one stud is that one in a million that isn't going to come out with all known techniques, but I'm in agreement with most that the attempt looks a little half-hearted.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100544 miles.