Max Trac 4.5" lift on 14 1500 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I just recently bought a truck that had a lift on it. From what I can find and the markings on the truck it has the Maxtrac 4.5" lift. I am in need of replacing the shocks on it. With that lift front is by Spindle/Knuckle lift so fronts should be stock size shocks still. The site says it comes with 3 inch coils for the rear lift. Looking for recommendations on good set of shocks for a set up like this. Any help will be apricated.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I just recently bought a truck that had a lift on it. From what I can find and the markings on the truck it has the Maxtrac 4.5" lift. I am in need of replacing the shocks on it. With that lift front is by Spindle/Knuckle lift so fronts should be stock size shocks still. The site says it comes with 3 inch coils for the rear lift. Looking for recommendations on good set of shocks for a set up like this. Any help will be apricated.
@Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with fox shocks all the way around. Send him a pm

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check out Pro Comp Pro Runners at 4WP for the rear .... Runnin em with my Zone 3” springs in the rear, and like em a lot .... Specially for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@JustinH forgot to mention congrats on the new purchase. Maxtrac is the go to for 2wd rams so you have a nice kit. Maxtrac offers a fox upgrade during purchase. Nobody is beating nicks customer service and his pricing is usually outstanding

OP
OP
JustinH

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
@Quick_Shifter Thank you my profile pick was a 02 with 5.9 decided that pcms were good snacks after upgrading to a Hughes airgap intake something in alt wiring was frying the regulator built in to the pcm. But love the new upgrade spent days looking for then a Saturday test driving till I found one with the 8sp. Nick is the person that runs ones of the preferred venders right? Which one?

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your options with Maxtrac then shop around. The basic 4.5 kit have you running stock struts in the front, and then some 3" cheapy black shocks in the back, could be rebranded Procomps with a Maxtrac sticker. They do have Fox shocks as well for a few hundo more. If you want to go the cheap way you can buy stock strut replacements from Monroe or Gabriel and do the Maxtrac black shocks in the back. Or ask Maxtrac for part# for the Fox shocks. If you go with their Fox shocks, measure the rear shocks extended lenght. I'm curious to know what lenght they use in the back for their 3" springs or post the shock part#.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Quick_Shifter Thank you my profile pick was a 02 with 5.9 decided that pcms were good snacks after upgrading to a Hughes airgap intake something in alt wiring was frying the regulator built in to the pcm. But love the new upgrade spent days looking for then a Saturday test driving till I found one with the 8sp. Nick is the person that runs ones of the preferred venders right? Which one?

I had an 02 as well the heat wouldn’t work and all kinds of blend door issues. I liked that I could just throw the dogs in and not care. Then I bought the 12 that I have now. You are correct Nick is the rep for gotexhaust one of our preferred vendors.
Here is a link they list 2 options for the rear that nick would know or call to confirm
https://maxtracstore.com/2009-2018-dodge-ram-1500/
How confident are you that it is the 4.5” kit

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, congrats on the new truck. As mentioned here you got a very good lift kit with the Maxtrac kit. It IS the go to kit for 2wd RAMs. Like said above you can go with any stock height replacement so you have a ton of options there.

Whats your plans for the truck and what are you looking for out of new shocks. We can set you up with a basic setup or we can get you setup with something much better. All depends on what you want to do with the truck and what your budget is. We can assist you if you like just send me a message.

OP
OP
JustinH

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
@Quick_Shifter 99.9% it has the correct marking for the lift. only see 2 options for from maxtrac 4.5 or 7 in. It will fit 35s nicely and 37 would rub without trimming. on work computer so ill have to get on my phone to add a photo later.

OP
OP
JustinH

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
@Nick@GotExhaust she will see some snow and minor off road nothing serious till she gets more wear and tear on her. Took her in for service one shock is completely blown and all 4 had signs of leaks. I know she a lifted truck but she handles like a pig in corners and want to tighten it up some start with shocks. Then Ill go with bigger sway bars if needed. Also has kinda a bouncy ride like the springs are taking all the stress from bumps. Last thing I noticed as well and may be a different component but slight knock noise coming to stop and starting again checked u joints not long ago and where good. So thinking it is either play in suspension but may be something like the angle of the rear diff from lift, is minor and only noticeable cause I listen for things like that.

Quick edit:

I would like a decent shock. Don't need exact figures cause ill have to put cash aside for them so a ball park will be fine. I understand taxes and shipping can change.

OP
OP
JustinH

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
First i stock tire size

Second is best i could get if the stamp on the knuckle

Third is how she sits with 35X12.5r20

20200704_144654.jpg

20201117_090424.jpg

received_687414305175603.jpeg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i would recommend going with the rear Fox shocks that Maxtrac would offer with their Fox kit and then Fox replacement front shocks. This will offer a much smoother ride on and off road. There are cheaper options and there are more expensive options but this will be a good bang for the buck setup. It will be good enough for minor off roading and ride nice on the street while not breaking the bank.

I'll get some pricing over to you tomorrow. I have pricing for the fronts but just need to verify the part number for the rears with Maxtrac tomorrow and then I can get you pricing on them too.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Nick@GotExhaust she will see some snow and minor off road nothing serious till she gets more wear and tear on her. Took her in for service one shock is completely blown and all 4 had signs of leaks. I know she a lifted truck but she handles like a pig in corners and want to tighten it up some start with shocks. Then Ill go with bigger sway bars if needed. Also has kinda a bouncy ride like the springs are taking all the stress from bumps. Last thing I noticed as well and may be a different component but slight knock noise coming to stop and starting again checked u joints not long ago and where good. So thinking it is either play in suspension but may be something like the angle of the rear diff from lift, is minor and only noticeable cause I listen for things like that.

Quick edit:

I would like a decent shock. Don't need exact figures cause ill have to put cash aside for them so a ball park will be fine. I understand taxes and shipping can change.

It’s bouncy because your shocks aren’t doing anything. The one is blown and leaking the other side probably already leaked out

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@JustinH id go with fox no point in trying to measure and figure out what will work for the small money saved.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@JustinH id go with fox no point in trying to measure and figure out what will work for the small money saved.

Agreed, the fronts aren't much more than quality replacements. I believe the rears are going to be about the same. Just a little more than standard replacements. It is worth the little extra for the much better ride comfort and performance.