Maybe trading for a more family friendly suv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bharjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2011 dodge ram 1500 and I love my truck I've done upgrades to it wheels, tires...ect but I wanna get something for road trips with the family and I'm thinking about trading it in. Has anyone else felt this way?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure if you have extended or crew cab, but I would measure rear leg room of SUV first. You might find there is less in most SUVs, and they are not as wide and as a whole more expense for less vehicle For a family hauler, a SUV has less utility than a van, so if the reason is you need third row, the most room is Sienna, then other vans, then Platinum (only this, others are small) Flex. In other words, you could end up with less room, more cost, and less enjoyment than just running a truck. And one personal observation: I dislike very much how almost every SUV now has a curved rear roof to window slope, it reduces visibility and interior space. Good luck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Personally, I wouldn't. Buy a crew cab pickup and put a cap on the back. I have been driving for many years now and only been without a pickup on a few occasions and always wound up missing them when I didn't have one.

Just my .02

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I agree, get a crew cab (or keep the one you have if it is). A truck shell with racks, storage, etc. Options are there. Plus, you can't put appliances, dirt or junk in an SUV as easily as a truck bed that you already have :) Just an opinion...so I have no idea on your true situation so give it time and research pros and cons.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went from my truck into a 17 Durango R/T although it had a 1 extra seat and rear dvd screens, I just didn't like it. It was fast and fun to catch people sleeping. We have lots of exotic cars around us so that was fun. It drove good, stopped excellent, and the leather was really nice. It just wasn't me. I ended up trading it in after I drove it almost 2 years and was done. I traded it in for my Charger which was more of a toy. I ended up buying back my Ram from my dad earlier this year. I upgraded the brakes and added some more power and I cant ever see myself going the SUV route again. Crew cab is the way to go. I can seat 6 in the truck if I absolutely have too. Plus just being able to haul stuff is worth every penny of owning a truck. Just my .02

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 dodge ram 1500 and I love my truck I've done upgrades to it wheels, tires...ect but I wanna get something for road trips with the family and I'm thinking about trading it in. Has anyone else felt this way?
Yes, although mainly for senior friendly ease of ingress/egress transporting both our parents, one of which has significant mobility issues. The Ram has lots of grab handles and what not, but overall its still body on frame and as such will have a pretty high seating position. Ram is SUPER comfy for road trips, no complaints there at all and in fact I get compliments picking up family from airport about how luxurious it is (even getting my nephew in trouble who commented why his dad couldn't have gotten one of these instead of the crappy Tacoma), however, the 16mpg I typically get isn't the cheapest and I'm rarely hauling a big trailer these days making the Ram a little overkill.

We're considering lower riding fuel efficient unibody options like the Ford Maverick Hybrid, Tucson Hybrid, or Santa Cruz. The Tucson doesn't have a bed, but you can attach a hitch and tow a 2K lb trailer if doing a home depot haul now and then, and for non-stinky stuff with the back seats folded down it has a lot of storage capacity (80 cubic feet). Both hybrids the 37mpg of the Mav and 38mpg of the Tucson are appealing for long distance, especially since they have some semi-automation to them like the highway drive assist.
278C1AAE-3665-473D-B9D0-CF373C4C3C9C.jpeg
111.JPG
222.JPG
Not in a super rush though, as new car prices are kind of dumb right now.

Last edited:

jessie_m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just traded up my wife's 2014 sxt durango for a 2021 rt durango with the tow n go package. The rt can tow 8700 lbs with the tow package, ordered it with cargo rails also. I wouldn't trade my 16 rebel in for a durango but would say the family prefers a durango on road trips.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want something that drives like a pick-up, keep the pickup. But if you want something easier and more nimble, more 'cozy' inside, there are a lot of good vehicles out there. It might be most helpful to start by looking at how you use a vehicle *most* of the time to help determine the best type of vehicle you should target (car, suv, minivan, etc). SUV's are great, but there's not as much "U" in them as you might think. I mean you can't haul a whole lot when it comes to larger items. But enough for your daily needs *most* of the time, and you could always get a small inexpensive trailer.

Sedan - If you commute quite a bit, you can't beat a sedan for comfort and ease of driving. A Chrysler 300 is a nice sedan too, depending on the pkg you look at. So was the last generation of Impala (nicer driving than the 300). There was a lot of rear legroom in both the 300 and impala for our high school aged kids. A VW Passat is also a nice car, though somewhat smaller in the rear. I never liked the Camry or Accord sedans interiors. Dodge Charger is also an option and you can get sportier versions, 4-dr too.

SUV - I've driven Jeep Grand Cherokee's forever and rented about every SUV out there. Jeep G/C's I've owned have all been fantastic vehicles going well past 200k miles requiring minimal maintenance. They're about the 'right' size. They've figured out how to make a very ergonomical SUV. There's too many to list so just have to see what you like. Last few yrs Ive been driving a Hummer H3 (not the ugly H2). Larger than a Colorado, ....Best rig there ever was - IMO. Big tires, drives great, 17.2 ave MPG. just about the right interior dimiensions, good drivetrain (mine is fully loaded). Very Un-GM-Like actually. But they're getting up there in age, and require quite a bit of maintenance now and parts are expensive. Therefore, I'd look at a used Jeep Grand Cherokee. They're a great vehicle. I always try to get a fully loaded (used) one, not the stripper Larado's. I've had Larado's but the really nice ones have kick-butt stereo's and are just nicer to own. A Tahoe is very nice too, but a little on the larger size for daily commuting ...but maybe that fits for you.

Minivan - OK, don't laugh. I don't personally drive a minivan, but I know a lot of guys who do ...and LOVE them! Many don't have kids either. These guys aren't idiots, or wife-whipped ...and I've talked to them about their minivans too. They like the driving position, ease of driving, ease of entry/egress, hauling capacity, roominess, fuel economy. If I weren't sure what to get, I would certainly find a nice minivan example and spend an hour or more in it. Maybe you'd be surprised to like it. Or rent one for a weekend.

I love my Ram, great truck, but IMO, trucks are fatiguing as commuter vehicles, as well as expensive for that purpose. What fit's you depends on a number of factors, like where you live, how you drive, hauling needs, budget, etc. There are a lot of nice vehicles out there of different types. Head to the used car lots and see what trips your trigger.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
My truck is our favorite road trip vehicle. It's not a Town Car, but the ride is very comfortable and the seats are supportive and not fatiguing. There's ample room for everything we want to take. Beach trips are no problem to put the cart, umbrella, coolers, toys, chairs, etc. and no worries about sandy messes inside on the way back.

The visibility is great, particularly in bad weather. The ability to do light off-roading, take rutted out gravel roads, etc. lets us sometimes see things we couldn't have seen otherwise. The ability to hop a curb to get out of a traffic snarl or other issue is sometimes handy. Those things eliminate a lot of sedans and some crossovers, but "real" SUVs can still do them, which leads to why I'm SUV resistant:

My biggest issue with SUVs is your luggage is visible behind the glass. I don't want a trip ruined because some addict busted my window to rifle through my suitcases for something to pawn for their next hit. With a bed cover, my luggage is hidden and more secure.

One downside is the fuel economy isn't great, but a "real" SUV isn't going to be significantly better and will have a smaller gas tank. The cost of fuel may be slightly less, but the range will also be less, and range is flexibility. Given that I don't have any payments and the cost of tags and insurance on my truck vs a new anything and the difference in fuel cost is nothing consequential.

The biggest issue I have with my truck as a road trip vehicle is the size can sometimes make parking a challenge. We've rented an AirBnB at Daytona Beach were my truck was too tall for the garage and I'm at factory height. Some parking garages are so tight it's nerve wracking. No matter how good at parallel parking you are, a longer vehicle requires a longer available space at a curb, etc.

*EDIT*

I should add that how many people you have to transport is probably a critical component. If I had three/+ kids, especially bigger teens, etc. then a three row SUV or van would likely have a lot more appeal.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^^^^^ 100% agree. Love my Ram for trips. Parking spaces and parking garages can be a bit dicey, though.

My wife injured her back and became disabled after Hurricane Irma went through our area which is when I bought the Ram. Did not know it at the time, but with the way her disability progressed, the Ram turned out to be an excellent choice for her ability to enter and exit the vehicle, and I am glad we didn't get something smaller.

JMHO, YMMV

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't want one, don't need one but had one when my kids were still at home and I am man enough to say the most practical vehicle I've ever owned for an all around vehicle is a mini van. Had a Chrysler mini van and they somehow are bigger on the inside than the outside. Easy to get in tight parking spaces, decent on gas and haul as many people as any SUV. I had no problem driving it when we had it, never felt less manly either! Lol

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuming yer 2011 is paid off. Keep the truck and get U an SUV say for Wife's needs, so U got when U need and still got yer truck, just a dementia filled thought from a BOIRD.

turkey.JPG

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have to agree with most. Years ago, a pickup was strictly utilitarian and people would never buy one to haul the family. Very different today. I'm retired and in my early 50's but still do quit a bit of heavy electrical work for a contractor friend, carry or pull snow mobiles, boats, etc. so the truck comes in handy. BUT my wife loves the ride and more importantly the room of the crew cab. She has a Grand Cherokee and the RAM is the go-to road trip vehicle because of it's great ride, room and space. I've had a RAM for 10 years and when our son was smaller she'd sit in the back, be able to switch seats, climb around a car seat around access diaper bags, etc. due to the room in the CC. I dislike caps but have a tri-fold tonneau that allows the luggage and supplies to stay dry and secure. I'm truly not sure what the benefit is of a mini-van other than it being more car-like to drive, a lower height and parking-lot friendly (for those that have a need to park close to whatever they're doing). Thankfully I never had that pressure to have a minivan.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know a couple guys who have Volvo XC-90's (a few yrs old) and they love them. Volvo makes a really good vehicle. Somewhere between a car and a minivan. Many Ford dealers can handle maintenance on used Volvos, as they used to be owned by Ford. I mean, some of the mechanics may still have some familiarity with them. But the guys I know who've owned them haven't had any problems.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Goin on a long road trip? Rent a van or suv put the miles on their vehicle lol have fun with it and it and return :) I drive my 2011 everywhere tho.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a lifted 1st gen Sequoia that I used as my "8 seat snowmobile" for snowboarding trips to Tahoe when I lived in Commiefornia.

For hauling the bikes and Home Depot trips or road trips with just the lady and I, the Ram is fantastic.

For road trips and hauling more than a few people and their stuff, the SUV was definitely superior to the Ram. It had tons of room for bodies and gear, and everything was accessible from inside. Based on that experience I definitely think an SUV would be a better choice if you've got a family to haul.

This SUV is not too bad, and it's still a Ram :) http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehicles/dodge/ram-1500-trx/mammoth-suv/

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would agree with several posts. If the truck is paid for, keep it. Get a sedan for road trips. It works well for me. It costs me a great deal more to operate my truck than my car. I did have one SUV. Cost to operate was the same as a truck & as stated earlier, everybody can see what you are carrying. Nick

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I have owned a Dodge minivan way back when and it was great. Had an accident, then eventually bought a GMC Safari: Even better. Eventually had a 2010 Tundra double cab, 5.7L 4x4. It was top notch. Got the diesel bug and now have a 2019 Laramie 4x4 Diesel, have not put many miles out it so can't really say much about it. One big issue for me with the Tundra and now the Ram is the length of the hood. Specifically, going up steep mountain roads and can't see the road when making sharp curves without guard rails. I am thinking the Ford E van with the new 7.3L gas engine might be just the thing. It may be able to tow my heavy Big Foot Travel trailer and hold a few camping supplies as well as seat 4 or 5 people when not towing. I have not looked at it so can't really say for certain. I spent so much money on this Ram I can't even bring the subject up to my wife about buying a new vehicle. I am old. I expect this Ram will be my last vehicle...unless I survive a tumble off a mountain cliff...and the Ram does NOT survive...which I suppose is not likely.

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Just did a quick search on the Ford E van with a 7.3L engine. Apparently only available as a cutaway van...sigh...the search goes on.