mcgaughy 4/6 ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my questions to you folks with the 4/6 drop from mcgaughy is how roughs the ride and does it do that stupid steady bounce going down the road.
I don't mind a little rougher ride as I don't drive the truck every day, but I refuse to drive a vehicle that bounces steadily on every little bump in the road like I see the young folks lowered cars.
I like and need my kidneys and spine intact. :)

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I can't speak for a 4/6 but I would assume it would depend on how you got that low to begin with.

I have a McG's 2/4.5 drop on my truck, using spindles in front and the flip kit in the rear. This maintains the front suspension as stock so the ride there is the same.

The rear with the flip kit essentially maintains the stock suspension again and I have noticed that with the springs under the axle, the ride is drastically improved. Over the axle (stock configuration) would cause the rear to be a bit more harsh which is more noticeable going over speed bumps. Now, speed bumps are much smoother when the rear goes over them and the ride on the road is much smoother.

Now, one change I have noticed is that the truck gets shaken around more than before. I'm pretty sure this is due to the longer shackles in the rear which now allow the rear axle to have more lateral movement than before. I also don't have my rear sway bar installed currently and that is also playing into things. I'm pretty sure that with the rear sway bar installed and the shorter links for it in place, this will help tighten up the side to side motion of the rear axle along with helping improve the cornering ability of the truck.

To do a 4/6 drop, I think it involves the deluxe 2/4.5 drop kit like I have, just with shorter front coil springs. Now that might change the ride some in the front but with good shocks, you shouldn't have that constant bounce that you are talking about. I know what you mean as I have ridden in trucks that have that, it's like they don't have a suspension any longer and the ride is total *****! You will want to C-notch the rear frame too to make sure the axle isn't smacking the frame which would also affect the ride.

OP
OP
B

breg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the response!
I am indeed going with the deluxe kit with the shorter springs. Also planning on the c notch. Even though it is bolt in I'm probably going to weld it in too just for extra measure. That is if I can figure out why my welder isn't working. Going to change out the leads and see if that does it.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yup, you definitely want to weld the new spring pads in place to prevent the possibility of them spinning on the axle. It's happened before to others on the forum. You can always drive it to an exhaust shop to have it done if you can't resolve the issue with your welder.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the kit you want, although I went a bit lower and I'm at 5/7, but the ride quality seems to be exactly the same as it was when it was 4/6.

Things I noticed:

Before I replaced the stock shocks with Belltech Performance, the ride was bouncy. Not horribly, but I did get a lot of compression going over bumps. After the Belltechs, I don't get that floaty bounce anymore, but the front is a little more harsh on sharp bumps. It's not horrible, but it is a harder ride.

The rear with the flip kit and c-notch was actually softer than stock, especially before the shock change. The shocks stiffened it up a ton, but not too bad. When I put the McGaughy's bags in the back, with the minimum 5psi in them, it became even more stiff.

The overall ride I would classify as mediocre. It is still a truck and rides like one, especially in the rear. The front is a bit more stiff, but nothing horrible. I don't get bounced around, but I can feel every bump in the road. Most aren't offensive, but there are some sharp bumps that make me wince. Would I do it again if given the chance? Absolutely. It's nothing that I can't handle, but don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac, it's still a truck.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I run the same kit and my truck feels totally normal, I drive passengers around alot and no one thinks that the ride is harsh or bouncy at all...am running the belltech street performer shocks as well which I like better than the original belltechs that the kit came with...

newwheels1_zpspaopjjwc.jpg

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I run the same kit and my truck feels totally normal, I drive passengers around alot and no one thinks that the ride is harsh or bouncy at all...am running the belltech street performer shocks as well which I like better than the original belltechs that the kit came with...

newwheels1_zpspaopjjwc.jpg

What have you done for load capacity in the rear since you still tow a boat with the truck?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm 4/6 and use Timbren springs (rated rubber bushings) Keeps the front tires from rubbing the inner liners and the rear increased the load capacity by 1220# in the rear.
Rides like a stocker but a little firmer.
uu83.jpg
imag0028wj.jpg

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I might have to look at those again more seriously Greg...the new setup really fills the fenderwells

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I might have to look at those again more seriously Greg...the new setup really fills the fenderwells

The Timbren springs are much more than bump stops they are an important part of my suspension. Fred I ordered set for a friend overseas and ended up with an extra set of front bumpers. These are the same as I'm using. If you are interested shoot me a PM.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
+1 on using Timbren Aeon springs. I had them on my truck for extra load capacity prior to the drop and flip kit and they work really well.

Greg, what is the part # for the rear single stage springs you are using now? I think I want to replace the McG's bump stops in the rear with the Timbrens and maybe even do the front. I've done the 2" spindle drop in the front so the control arms are still at the stock height with the stock bump stops. I've managed to get the front passenger tire to stuff and rub the fender liner on one good bump at speed so far and I'm thinking the Timbren might help prevent this from happening again.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
+1 on using Timbren Aeon springs. I had them on my truck for extra load capacity prior to the drop and flip kit and they work really well.

Greg, what is the part # for the rear single stage springs you are using now? I think I want to replace the McG's bump stops in the rear with the Timbrens and maybe even do the front. I've done the 2" spindle drop in the front so the control arms are still at the stock height with the stock bump stops. I've managed to get the front passenger tire to stuff and rub the fender liner on one good bump at speed so far and I'm thinking the Timbren might help prevent this from happening again.

The part numbers I have are:
rear- A155-65
Frt- A140-65

http://timbren.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Table-of-Dimensions-r070815.pdf

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
Anyone with Street Performance shocks from Belltech? I have the fronts and want to do rears...looking for a rear part number (for the flip with stock shackle for 6" drop)

thanks...fred

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Belltech any better than the Bilstiens? I'm going to be changing out the rear to Bilstien 5100s spec'd for the drop and then reinstall the sway bar. Front has Bilstien 4600 OEM replacements right now but they are fine.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
don't know if it was just me but I tried riding on Bilsteins once on my truck..it was harsh, too firm for my liking...

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Since doing the drop, my truck rides so smooth and soft now, even with the Bilsteins. Can still handle the loads I carry and corners pretty well for a truck. I've been really happy with the shocks.

It also seems like it hooks up a little better than before. Might be just in my head or there is less spring wrap with the flip kit. I still want to get a Caltracs kit for it.

Last edited: