MDS Delete Kit on A High Mileage Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HolyHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question that I have yet to get an answer for that would give me some clarity on what I should do. My Ram is currently sitting at 198,200 miles. I want to do an MDS delete on it with the hellcat lifters, add the hellcat oil pump, and throw some long tube or shorty headers on it. My thing is, I have a feeling my engine might give out because of the high miles. I'm not scared of the lifter issue anymore, and I don't idle my truck. I'm just wondering if I should wait until my engine goes out before doing that upgrade or would it help my engine? Also, would if effect my transmission? I'm not sure if the fluid was ever flushed or replaced. I bought it with 164,000 miles. I did some preventative maintenance on it as well, like replacing spark plugs, the serpentine belt, coolant flush, and I also had the manifolds replaced on both sides which wasn't a problem to me. This truck has been good to me.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Why you want to do all that on engine with high miles?

If it's working. buy HP Tuner, adjust the idle rpm higher. there are few post about it.
There isn't 100% proof it actually helps, but logically it should. If you go with long tubes, the tune should be done anyway.

Hellcat pump isn't going to anything.

OP
OP
H

HolyHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well at first I honestly thought itd be something good to do to keep it running longer cause I want to keep this truck until 300K at least. I dont want to race it or anything like that, and dont want a crazy tune. I just want to beef it up and make it stronger. It’s my daily. As far as the Hellcat pump, I just want it for the better oil pressure at idle.

C L Martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I 'm assuming this truck is 2009 or newer with the vvt engine. If so, a 6.4 oil pump will give you more oil pressure because the 6.4 has pin oilers where the 5.7 does not. The 6.4 pump has a stiffer spring. Hellcat pump has slightly more volume. As far as lifters, to do a mds delete you just need non mds lifters & I would replace the solenoids with the plastic plugs. Hellcat lifters are no different than any other non mds lifter from 03 to present. If the truck is 08 or older you will need a 6.1 pump for more pressure as the hellcat will not fit.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was my banging my head against the wall issue. Fix the lifters again with 250k miles or get a new one. I couldn't justify spending the money with that many miles. Fix the lifters, then something else goes out. End story- got a 2024.

Attachments

• 20231207_171143.jpg
    20231207_171143.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
H

HolyHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I 'm assuming this truck is 2009 or newer with the vvt engine. If so, a 6.4 oil pump will give you more oil pressure because the 6.4 has pin oilers where the 5.7 does not. The 6.4 pump has a stiffer spring. Hellcat pump has slightly more volume. As far as lifters, to do a mds delete you just need non mds lifters & I would replace the solenoids with the plastic plugs. Hellcat lifters are no different than any other non mds lifter from 03 to present. If the truck is 08 or older you will need a 6.1 pump for more pressure as the hellcat will not fit.
Yes, it’s a 2013. So you think it wouldnt be detrimental to my engine doing all that almost being at 200K?

OP
OP
H

HolyHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was my banging my head against the wall issue. Fix the lifters again with 250k miles or get a new one. I couldn't justify spending the money with that many miles. Fix the lifters, then something else goes out. End story- got a 2024.
Haha I understand. I’ve never had a lifter issue. I would like to do all of this before that happens if it does, but if it did, i’d have the excuse to do it for sure then. I just can’t justify spending money on a new truck with these prices. Mine is a Laramie Longhorn, so last thing I plan to do is buy a brand new longhorn. Congrats on the new truck tho btw

C L Martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the engine is in good shape it wouldn't be detrimental. If the engine has less oil pressure at idle than it had at one time, then something is causing that. Could be bearing wear, oil pump wear, lifter bleed off. Bearing wear can only be fixed by replacing bearings. If it's either of the other two, lifters & oil pump should get you some more miles out of the engine. A 6.4 pump will make more pressure than the 5.7 pump due to the stiffer spring. Hard to beat a Mopar pump but melling makes a good pump also. Used many with no issues.

Torqued

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2012 with a 5.7 and 180,000. And recently having lifter issues. I’m going if the MDS oem replacement lifters and cam (since I’m doing it myself, for faster turn around time.) also replacing the oil pump with a Melling 10452HV (high volume) Because the ram oil pumps are a fixed displacement pump, so every revolution of the crankshaft it pumps a set volume of oil. And lack of oil (particularly at idle) is “supposed to be the cause of failed lifters. Or poor maintenance, or poor quality oil, or poor quality lifters, the list is long and repetitive. It’s currently -10 here and I don’t have a heated shop to used so it may be a few months before I complete this task, but one added thing the an old mechanic told me to do is have the heads checked by a machine shop while they are off, so if need they can be trued up before replacing