MDS Delete SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Just wanted to share this, pulled the trigger and had my ECU tuned to delete the MDS from functioning. Super simple, mailed my PCM out and he mailed it back with no more MDS!!! The guy said if sending in my current PCM wasn't an option, that sourcing a used one could work too.

Can't believe I didn't know of this sooner.

Brapasorus Rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bmags, I did the same thing. I wish I knew about this 40,000 miles ago! Best money I ever spent.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's not a delete, it's a deactivate. Same thing as using your thumb controls and putting it in the highest gear. Cheap option tho at 250$. Can do the same thing for a few more bucks with an Edge Pulsar plus get quite a few more features as well as a HP bump.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
From what I remember reading the Pulsar masked MDS by always blipping the throttle. Sounded like people didn’t care for that.

I agree this is more of a disable vs delete, but the result is the same :)

And I had used the gear - option but that gets old too. This is just the way to go.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
From what I remember reading the Pulsar masked MDS by always blipping the throttle. Sounded like people didn’t care for that.

I agree this is more of a disable vs delete, but the result is the same :)

And I had used the gear - option but that gets old too. This is just the way to go.
The pulsar simply put's it in 8th or 6th depending on your transmission, same as using your gear selector. It absolutely does not blip the throttle.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't think it's all that wise to disable the mds,unless you do it properly,and that's pull the MDS solenoids and replace them with the factory MDS block-off plugs,then swap lifters and cam to a non-mds set-up.Throw in the fact i don't think MDS is the issue with lifter failure,as both non-mds and mds lifters have been known to give trouble. If MDS was an actual issue,the 6 speed manual transmission 5.7 and 6.4 Challengers would never have lifter issues,and they have just as many lifter issues as the automatic transmission engines with mds have,if not more.If you factor in the amount of non-mds manual transmission Challengers they built,there's a pile of them having cam/lifter issues in comparision to the amount of MDS engines they've built.
There's quite a few outfits who'll delete the MDS in your factory PCM ,MMX has been offering that service for quite awhile now,and i know lots of tuner outfits on the Hi-Po facebook pages also offer the same service

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Why is that not wise? If the truck disables it in manual mode what makes you feel that it’s not safe to run that way all the time? You think Dodge made it to intentionally fail if driven like that?

Also, if the concern is lifter failure, and we aren’t sure whether the non-MDS setup is any better (and if trucks without MDS disabled are having issues as well)… then you might as well disable with software and run it. Then in the event they fail, feel free to replace with the non-MDS hardware.

Replacing before hand makes no sense.

Last edited:

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it's all that wise to disable the mds,unless you do it properly,and that's pull the MDS solenoids and replace them with the factory MDS block-off plugs,then swap lifters and cam to a non-mds set-up.Throw in the fact i don't think MDS is the issue with lifter failure,as both non-mds and mds lifters have been known to give trouble. If MDS was an actual issue,the 6 speed manual transmission 5.7 and 6.4 Challengers would never have lifter issues,and they have just as many lifter issues as the automatic transmission engines with mds have,if not more.If you factor in the amount of non-mds manual transmission Challengers they built,there's a pile of them having cam/lifter issues in comparision to the amount of MDS engines they've built.
There's quite a few outfits who'll delete the MDS in your factory PCM ,MMX has been offering that service for quite awhile now,and i know lots of tuner outfits on the Hi-Po facebook pages also offer the same service
Do you think that disabling the MDS might be the problem as in the fact that when it is left running like this the cam ramp for the disabled cylinders is not correct? You are forcing a MDS cam to run with lifters in a non-MDS mode.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Do you think that disabling the MDS might be the problem as in the fact that when it is left running like this the cam ramp for the disabled cylinders is not correct? You are forcing a MDS cam to run with lifters in a non-MDS mode.
No, because as was mentioned already running in non-MDS mode is a normal operating mode of the truck.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, because as was mentioned already running in non-MDS mode is a normal operating mode of the truck.
I understand that it is designed to run like that. But running it for a long time like that may be detrimental. Lots of engines and time and miles will give you the true results, not short term testing in a lab.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Until there is a problem there is no problem.

You don’t change your headlight bulbs before they burn out do you?

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Until there is a problem there is no problem.

You don’t change your headlight bulbs before they burn out do you?
OK Snarky, if it was meant to run all the time with the MDS locked out, there wouldn't be a different cam in the cars without MDS. I don't change my headlight bulbs before they burn out, and I certainly don't run a donut all the time, I change it for a full size as soon as possible. Maybe you missed it so I'll say it in baby talk, just because it works in the short term, doesn't mean its good for the long haul. Just a thought. You can go back under your rock now.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Haha. The owners manual clearly says not to run different sized tires. For what it’s worth I didn’t see a warning in there about not running in manual mode for more than 50 miles at a time :D

There is a different cam in some variants because those engines/configurations didn’t need the (minuscule) fuel savings to pad their listed fuel economy. It’s all Big Brother’s fault anyways, they spec an average fuel economy each manufacturer’s fleet needs to meet in order to sell in the US. Careful they might be listening…

Brapasorus Rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to watch a movie tonight with the wife, but I couldn’t help but read this thread. Then it got me thinking and I was wondering if people riding horse and buggy still have conversations about tuning their ride. Could you imagine a thread regarding that? It would be rediculous.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I was going to watch a movie tonight with the wife, but I couldn’t help but read this thread. Then it got me thinking and I was wondering if people riding horse and buggy still have conversations about tuning their ride. Could you imagine a thread regarding that? It would be rediculous.
Hey, I see you’re in MN too. Any plans for the Super Bowl? We could meet up and talk about our MDS disable :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's generally not wise to run non-mds lifters on the mds lobes,will it work yes,but not ideally.In the real world,you should also swap the cam,if you're deleting the MDS

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Haha. The owners manual clearly says not to run different sized tires. For what it’s worth I didn’t see a warning in there about not running in manual mode for more than 50 miles at a time :D

There is a different cam in some variants because those engines/configurations didn’t need the (minuscule) fuel savings to pad their listed fuel economy. It’s all Big Brother’s fault anyways, they spec an average fuel economy each manufacturer’s fleet needs to meet in order to sell in the US. Careful they might be listening…
Time for you to do some research,fuel milege has mothing to do with why the cam lobes are differant between the mds lifters and non-mds lifters,it's all in the way the slack in the lifter is taken up.
Cams for the MDS motors are unique because four of the intake lobes have a “primary ramp” that takes up the “locking lash” in the MDS lifter before the “secondary ramp” closes the check ball in the lifter, and the timing on the four MDS exhaust lobes was advanced by a few degrees.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Couple video's worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.