MDS Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry if this is a frequent topic, I searched through some previous posts and I couldn't find a sure fire answer. So anyways I've got a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 w/ the 8 speed. What is the best way to disable MDS? I've got an aftermarket exhaust and I hate listening to the noise of the 4 cylinder engine. I've played around with the gear selector and just set it at the highest gear possible and let the engine shift for me, but I'm curious to any downsides to doing this option? Anyways thanks y'all.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Tow mode is the easiest way i know of but i also havent even searched the topic for other solutions.

Mds has its advantages and i dont want to permanently get rid of it

Sloverado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran mine for 3 years tuned but mine was a 16. Still was fine when I reinstalled pcm

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Most people will buy a DiabloSport i3 tuner and turn it off that way as well as add either a “canned” tune or use it to install a tune from a speed shop with a dyno or order a tune from Jay Greene that is taylored to your truck and all of its’ current upgrades. I have a 13 1500 and using the tow/haul mode or shifting manually through the gears didn’t work for me because as soon as I hit a cruising speed MDS kicked in. Some people like it for the gas mileage. Me, I hated it! I hated waiting for the 4 cylinders to wake up just to downshift and pass someone and the exhaust tone it has. I went with a local tuner who turned it off and did some other upgrades but not a true dyno tune...yet. lol

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Another method, which has some additional advantages, is a programmer with the MDS Off function enabled.

Using Tow Haul mode or manual shift mode will also keep it off.

OP
OP
south7west

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Appreciate the help so far, anyone know where's a good place to buy a tuner to turn it off? I don't think I am interested in any performance tune for right now, (but maybe down the line) but just for turning MDS off would sound good. Thanks

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You can use the DiabloSport i3 to turn that off and change other settings. Like if you get bigger tires or change your wheel and tire sizes or to turn off the governor so that your engine won’t start cutting out at a certain speed. I don’t know of a tuner that only shuts off MDS.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Tow haul on a 8sp will not turn it off.
Shoot last time I pulled mt 7k camper I forgot to select 8th and even then with TH and the camper eco and the mds came on..lol

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Appreciate the help so far, anyone know where's a good place to buy a tuner to turn it off? I don't think I am interested in any performance tune for right now, (but maybe down the line) but just for turning MDS off would sound good. Thanks
Edge Pulsar

But it also has mild tunes on it.

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the best way get the i3 diablo tuner that if you dont have to have to change the PMS that is a different story good luck to you

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just curious, as I am a brand new Ram owner. Why is MDS considered a handicap? I thought it was installed for better MPG. Thx

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious, as I am a brand new Ram owner. Why is MDS considered a handicap? I thought it was installed for better MPG. Thx
As mentioned a few posts up, the sound of the exhaust annoys many of us. Not as bad if you have the stock exhaust system. Also, if you don’t have the MDS on you have those 8 cylinders ready to rock at the tap of the pedal, especially if you have a pedal commander!

I have the pulsar and set the MDS to off but it still comes on for a second before it gets disabled. If I decide to go into granny mode I press a button and go from performance 91 with MDS off to economy with MDS on. Pretty slick little setup.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
It does, but like mentioned, with aftermarket exhaust its kinda annoying. But stock, it never bothered me.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thx, yeah I have the stock exhaust (dual Sport setup) so haven’t really noticed it.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Thx, yeah I have the stock exhaust (dual Sport setup) so haven’t really noticed it.
One thing I did on my 2015, I kept everything stock, just added the Moes Performance 5"tip....really made the exhaust a little deeper. They bolt on, fill the bumper holes better, and look great.

20171203_115234.jpg

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I HATE the MDS. Especially with the loud exhaust that I have. It's horrible. Embarrassing actually, if other vehicles are around. It makes the vehicle sound/seem very weak. I don't like that.
I disable every time I drive the truck.

Since we're talking about the MDS,.......is it true you have to be over 45/46 MPH to completely disable the MDS. You can't just go to the 8th gear, correct?
I've tried this before and it doesn't feel like it's totally disabled until I'm over 45/46MPH and then use the gear-/gear+ buttons. That's my feeling on it.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I go to 8th gear as soon as i start moving......never noticed mds being active at slower speeds.

Didn't realize simply turning the gear selector on turned MDS off. Was thinking I had to go down at least to 7 for MDS to be off.