*Mechanic refusing trans build info*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cumminsAB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys

I'm new to this forum & need some help regarding recent work I've had done to my 68rfe.

Let's start from the beginning, I've had my overdrive gears go at 160km in my 68fre(17 ram 3500). I spoke with my mechanic and he said he could build me a trans to hold 800hp and would warranty it for 75k 3yr. All sounded fine and dandy so I went ahead and had the work done and at the same time I also had the truck tuned and deleted, ended up costing me close to 13g total (9500 tranny).

My Issue I'm dealing with now is that I went to increase my trans line pressure from 170psi to 225psi(ezlynk admp tuning), when monitored my (actual) line press wouldn't exceed 170psi but my (desired) line pressure would reach 225psi, which makes me question did they even upgrade the valve body. When mentioned to my mechanic he said the valve body was aftermarket and modified for up to 240psi but I'm clearly not getting past 170(a). So I then asked him for the build of the transmission/valvebody and he refuses to tell me what parts or kit was used to build this transmission, he said he didn't want to "give away his secrets". Seems extremely sketchy and unprofessional in my opinion as every other company provides the parts used on their builds.

Just looking for any opinions or suggestions in how I should proceed with this?. As far as I thought all parts and info legally had to be provided with the work that was done. Had the work done in Alberta, Canada.
Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How are you raising the psi? The valve body upgrades shouldnt raise psi, they just allow the valve body to take the psi w/o leaking. Usually a plate between the valve body or perhaps gasket but that is less of an upgrade over a plate. New pistons and rings and metal bar that holds them into place, etc. You put all of these items in and then tune the psi up with a tuner. Did he actually say psi would come up with the upgrades?

They do have another way to raise pressure, but the forum says this doesnt raise it as much as you want..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A tune can also keep that 68 in higher rpm's by changing shift points, very desirable imo. Low rpm's are horrible for rfe's, especially with a cummins behind it.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Should've asked for specs up front, I wouldn't have that kinda work done (especially at that cost) without knowing EXACTLY what's going in my truck. This is also exactly why I do all my own work, too many untrustworthy mechanics/shops out there

OP
OP
cumminsAB

cumminsAB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How are you raising the psi? The valve body upgrades shouldnt raise psi, they just allow the valve body to take the psi w/o leaking. Usually a plate between the valve body or perhaps gasket but that is less of an upgrade over a plate. New pistons and rings and metal bar that holds them into place, etc. You put all of these items in and then tune the psi up with a tuner. Did he actually say psi would come up with the upgrades?

They do have another way to raise pressure, but the forum says this doesnt raise it as much as you want..

The psi was raised through a tune. Yes, he told me I'd have no problem running up to 240psi with the upgrades so I had the tune customized to 225 line pressure from the initial 170psi and now the issue is that the (actual) line pressure won't exceed the 170 when I'm seeing the 225 for the desired.

OP
OP
cumminsAB

cumminsAB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should've asked for specs up front, I wouldn't have that kinda work done (especially at that cost) without knowing EXACTLY what's going in my truck. This is also exactly why I do all my own work, too many untrustworthy mechanics/shops out there
Most cases I would have but he was very adamant and convincing how bullet proof the builds were. But here we are, I've already had the solenoid fail and now this pressure issue. Poor business is what it comes down to!

Stopped by the shop yesterday and he said it could be a pump issue, so we will see what happens.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Most cases I would have but he was very adamant and convincing how bullet proof the builds were. But here we are, I've already had the solenoid fail and now this pressure issue. Poor business is what it comes down to!

Stopped by the shop yesterday and he said it could be a pump issue, so we will see what happens.
Put a name to this guy,as there's lots of Albertans on here,and maybe somebody has dealt with him,and can give you their experiences.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get all the part numbers and info when you had the illegal delete done?
Unfortunately I think your SOL after the fact getting part numbers but hopefully the mechanic makes good on his “warranty “ promise.
Good luck!

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What secrets for a VB could he possibly have that anyone else hasn’t done already. SSV valve, upgraded pistons & retainer, & bonded separator plate.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What secrets for a VB could he possibly have that anyone else hasn’t done already. SSV valve, upgraded pistons & retainer, & bonded separator plate.
Yes , that and $9500 for a trans build , not in tune with cost , but that sure sounds high ?

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 1998
Engine
5.9 Gas & 5.9 Diesel
Sounds like he is trying to hide something? A simple TransGo Kit can be installed to raise line pressure, does not require a modified valve body.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Put a name to this guy,as there's lots of Albertans on here,and maybe somebody has dealt with him,and can give you their experiences.
^^^^THIS^^^^
Lots of solid shops down here.....I suspect for what you paid OP you couldve bought a bulletproof pre-built 68RFE from down here and shipped it home....

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
I suspect you could have gotten a new mopar tranny for that price or less, with some haggeling and discounts.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like he is trying to hide something? A simple TransGo Kit can be installed to raise line pressure, does not require a modified valve body.
The only way you are raising the pressure is with a modified VB. You can do tuning to up the pressure, but unless you modify the VB for it you’re not getting it. The transgo modifies the VB.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He may very well be getting 200+psi output, BUT it is leaking out between the separator plate and vb since that is a weak point for pressure loss, especially on these trans. There are upgraded plates and vb's, hopefully he got those with that price.