Might be doing another cam swap (long read...sorry)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm half tempted to swap with you... But I'm not sure I want to give up SC for diablo.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I idle at 650. My cam is more pcm friendly than a sidewinder.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
SMT 6. Thats the piggy back I was thinking about. And it retains the stock computer and databus system. All it does is inetrcept and modify all of the parameters coming out of the ECM. Thats what frostking uses to control his boosted 03. Must work.

OP
OP
AF_Hemi

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
As far as i can tell, you still cant adjust idle with the SMT6. you can adjust fuel trims, but that gets done with the custom tune.

keep throwin out the suggestions guys!! thanks!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I went on the SMT6 website and they are very vague about what does what. Nothing model specific. May be wrong, but got a feeling they were selling snake oil. Anyone drill a hole in a butterfly yet? How about a simple test like sticking a wire under the buttefly to hold it slightly open to see if the idle incresaes. Secure the end of the wire so it doesn't get sucked in..... Anyone with specific experience using the SMT6 willing to speak up and tell us how it works.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
geeeez dude. I apologize the file didn't crank first time around, it looks like it was a file corruption. But give me a little bit to try and help out before you run my name in the ground. And I apologize again for having to charge you a little something for my time. I am taking a hit on my time as well so we're both getting shafted some on the fee's. I'm not a KRC employee, and never have been so me working with you on a discount is me just trying to help.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
right. your superchips raises the idle automatically. it comes with the canned tune. nothing is friendly with these flipping 03's

I don't want you to take this the wrong way... but you don't very much about cams that play nice, sc tuning, custom tuning, etc...

My cam was specifically designed to play nice with the pcm. Nicer than a sidewinder even. I can run it on a stock tune. I told you that when you started out with this 210x fiasco and you told me I was wrong back then.

I was very clear that a 210 was a bad choice on an 03 and you told me I was wrong. Now who was right and who was wrong?

You need to look at a custom grind designed to idle nice. That's the cam I have. And, no, I am not interested in trading.

I've been into the dodge ram thing for a long time and I didn't just pop up last year. You're making all the wrong mistakes and learning everything the hard way.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
All the issues come from the LSA being so tight correct?

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
I don't want you to take this the wrong way... but you don't very much about cams that play nice, sc tuning, custom tuning, etc...

My cam was specifically designed to play nice with the pcm. Nicer than a sidewinder even. I can run it on a stock tune. I told you that when you started out with this 210x fiasco and you told me I was wrong back then.

I was very clear that a 210 was a bad choice on an 03 and you told me I was wrong. Now who was right and who was wrong?

You need to look at a custom grind designed to idle nice. That's the cam I have. And, no, I am not interested in trading.

I've been into the dodge ram thing for a long time and I didn't just pop up last year. You're making all the wrong mistakes and learning everything the hard way.

i see what your saying but i really think if marty wasnt deployed then his truck would be running great right now. is there a problem for trying to go big and do something that no one has tried before no...

anyways i do have a 6.1 if he wants it to get regrind...

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, it's not a problem at all.

But you can't go around telling everyone they're wrong either.

OP
OP
AF_Hemi

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
geeeez dude. I apologize the file didn't crank first time around, it looks like it was a file corruption. But give me a little bit to try and help out before you run my name in the ground. And I apologize again for having to charge you a little something for my time. I am taking a hit on my time as well so we're both getting shafted some on the fee's. I'm not a KRC employee, and never have been so me working with you on a discount is me just trying to help.

man oh man where do i begin. I dug myself in deep this time. I owe you both apologies. I'll start with sean. Sean, I unfairly didnt give you a chance to do much of anything before i started this thread. I had a pre-biased opinion before I gave you the job that you probably wouldnt be able to help it much. The fact is, i never sent Marty datalogs so its no wonder it wasnt running right. I should have given you a chance to do something before I inadvertently trashed your name. For everyone else reading this, I've had a quite a change of opinion about sean and you can read about it in the following post.

George, sometimes you've gotta just let the noobs make their own mistakes. For some reason, i've always had it in my head that theres no way I could have a strong powerful cam and have it pcm friendly at the same time. I had that unfair bias even though i'd never tried your cam or anything similar. Your comments gave me a strong shot of humility, and I thank you. It seems like i've been doing this whole thing for a long time, but you're right... i just joined the world of Rams not even 2 yrs ago. Unfortunately my ego kinda got in the way, so thanks for keepin me in check.

OP
OP
AF_Hemi

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im breaking this up into 2 posts to give your eyes a break. Now for an update:

I'm updating this almost daily, because things seem to be getting better every day. Sean sent me 2 more tunes last night after making a few changes and I'm really, really happy. Not sure what he's doing, but its working. I started the truck this morning with the new tune and it idled great -- very smooth idle at about 600rpms. Once i put it in gear, it maintained a steady idle and never tried to die on me. The biggest problem i'd had before was it trying to stall when coming to a stop. It still has this problem to an extent, but not near as bad as it was. Its getting much better. There is no longer any surging at low speeds, heavy rpm fluctuation, or stuttering/stalling.

Sean, you're impressive to say the least. I'm more than happy with what you've done so far, and looking forward to the coming days.

I know one thing for certain, this cam is staying in this truck lol. Hope has been restored

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Good to hear, Sean is good as hell at what he does just have to give him info to tweak from. He has done 2 cams for me and nailed the first on the second revision, the first tune was damn close but he knew he could get more out of it. This new cam his 2nd revision has most everything tweaked without me giving him the best to go by.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's awesome. I have never heard of anyone who was unhappy with Sean's tuning skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank