Might be doing another cam swap (long read...sorry)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fact that he gets so many positive reviews is why he is considered the best. Af, I am glad to hear you are getting it dialed in now.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well done gentlemen!

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
I wanna see how this thing will run in the extreme cold of winter. If it runs good and proves to be good and reliable I would consider this cam now that I know it can be tamed by sean.

OP
OP
AF_Hemi

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
I wanna see how this thing will run in the extreme cold of winter. If it runs good and proves to be good and reliable I would consider this cam now that I know it can be tamed by sean.

I'm anxious to know as well. I have high hopes and i think it'll do just fine. Just a warning, the reason there are so many mixed reviews about the tuneability of the 03, is because not all 03's act the same. From what i read, some 03's cant even handle something like a 260 or sidewinder. I've gotten very lucky that I have one of the less picky ones.

I guess my point is, just because mine worked doesnt mean yours will for certain. All I've proven (well, ok all seans proven) is that its possible to tune SOME 03's. Make sense? Dont wanna discourage you from giving it a shot, just warning you that the possibility still exists that it could reject it.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 03's are finicky. I cringe everytime I hear of one with a cam lol. I've seen some folks have to turn the a/c on to grab that extra 100 rpms of idle. I sure wouldn't say rush out and grab such an aggressive lsa cam....or high duration cam either. I'm not sure which is worse for an '03, low lsa or high duration. Just know that ANY non factory cam in an '03 could be a gamble.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Hell, I can't even load a SC3865 in mine. Still think either Diablo got it locked up in some manner when I unloaded the DSP or the dealer is incompetent and just unable to do a proper update. IDK

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
I'm anxious to know as well. I have high hopes and i think it'll do just fine. Just a warning, the reason there are so many mixed reviews about the tuneability of the 03, is because not all 03's act the same. From what i read, some 03's cant even handle something like a 260 or sidewinder. I've gotten very lucky that I have one of the less picky ones.

I guess my point is, just because mine worked doesnt mean yours will for certain. All I've proven (well, ok all seans proven) is that its possible to tune SOME 03's. Make sense? Dont wanna discourage you from giving it a shot, just warning you that the possibility still exists that it could reject it.

Yeah after doing some more research I have learned that 03's are super inconsistent. I think I might leave well enough alone. Last thing I need is to put in a cam and have a finicky **** of an engine. Maybe another year but as a primary driver I have other toys to modify for speed. I just want a little bit more down low. I'm beginning a quest to find the ultimate tuning for the 2003. Ill let you know what I find.

PS has anyone heard of a magnaflow blowing out? The case on mine is still in great shape but all of the sound deadening material is completely gone. I tapped all over the body of the muffler and its just makes a ting noise so it must be completely empty. I tried this with a used magnaflow and a new one and they both sounded solid. Not complaining but thats why my truck has been recently getting much louder. I like.

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
very good thread with lots of hope from major lows to a really happy ending. lol.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, the things i miss when i go to work for a few days.. jeez. glad its all working out for everybody!! i know who to give a call if/when i finally get my cam.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad its running good now. Sean is the man PERIOD! The people that do talk down on him havent ever gotten tuned by him. He is the man IMO.

As far as the 210 goes I also said it was to much lsa for 03's in several threads & you came in & made me look like an ass. Not mad or anything but I'm glad you saw 1st hand how finicky 03's really are so that situation doesnt happen again. I have been around too long, read too many threads & seen 1st hand a few times to know how they act. Its water under the bridge now though. Like Sean said & I have seen 1st hand that some 03's have trouble w/ a 260 & then at the same time a good local friend has an 03 w/ a 268 w/ just sc I kid you not. Each 03 seems to be different but for the most part they all like to give you the middle finger when it comes to a cam swap

Thats awesome though that its running good now.

We just put a 210 in a 04 qc w/ full exhaust, tune, intake & I'm not impressed w/ it at all. I havent seen or felt the power of 1 in person til the other day. I was really wanting to see what all the hype was about b/c everybody talks it up as the bestest cam ever made in the whole widest world & after it being dyno tuned my opinion is like "damn, what a rip off". I guess I'm just used to riding in rc trucks w/ 268's or bigger

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Glad its running good now. Sean is the man PERIOD! The people that do talk down on him havent ever gotten tuned by him. He is the man IMO.

As far as the 210 goes I also said it was to much lsa for 03's in several threads & you came in & made me look like an ass. Not mad or anything but I'm glad you saw 1st hand how finicky 03's really are so that situation doesnt happen again. I have been around too long, read too many threads & seen 1st hand a few times to know how they act. Its water under the bridge now though. Like Sean said & I have seen 1st hand that some 03's have trouble w/ a 260 & then at the same time a good local friend has an 03 w/ a 268 w/ just sc I kid you not. Each 03 seems to be different but for the most part they all like to give you the middle finger when it comes to a cam swap

Thats awesome though that its running good now.

We just put a 210 in a 04 qc w/ full exhaust, tune, intake & I'm not impressed w/ it at all. I havent seen or felt the power of 1 in person til the other day. I was really wanting to see what all the hype was about b/c everybody talks it up as the bestest cam ever made in the whole widest world & after it being dyno tuned my opinion is like "damn, what a rip off". I guess I'm just used to riding in rc trucks w/ 268's or bigger

There is the 210 and 210x, the 210x is suppose to be a bad mother but the 210 is more like its little brother or so I have heard.

On a side note, Im glad to hear that the 268 seems like a beefy cam.... Thats whats goin in mine here shortly

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Other than the usual spring and rod work I dont think so but it is on a 108 lsa. There are a couple reg cabs running it going in the upper 12s to low 13's. Its just a more aggressive cam than the reg 210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Other than the usual spring and rod work I dont think so but it is on a 108 lsa. There are a couple reg cabs running it going in the upper 12s to low 13's. Its just a more aggressive cam than the reg 210

I just checked back in my emails bc at one point I had been talking to KRC about the 210x. According to them, I would have needed to port the heads to run the 210x. Not really sure why bc they didn't elaborate but they did say that ported heads were needed to run the cam properly.

OP
OP
AF_Hemi

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
The only difference in the cam is the lsa. all the other numbers are the same. You need headwork because the stock heads dont flow enough to get max performance out of the 210x

T-Muns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did the cam work out over the winter last year? Are all of your tuning problems gone (any stalls or anything like that)?

I'm considering the KRC 210. I used a 2003 pcm/harness in my hemi swap because it was easier, knowing that a cam tuning issue might come up one day. If I convert to the 2004 setup I'll definitely do the 210. Otherwise you've given me hope for the 210 with the 03 pcm.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Not sure if he still has the truck, left awhile back when he got a Mustang bud.