Mobil 1? Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20 Wyt Lytning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is one of the best articles I have ever read on Oil/Filters/additives shared from a Mechanical Engineer/Mechanical Design Engineer. The article is from 2013, but it has all of the new oils in the report. Check it out, it changed my mind of what oil/oil filter I choose. I always used Mobil1 Synthetic Extended Performance 5w-20. I just changed oil and filter in my new 2020 Ram 1500 5.7L and used Quaker State Synthetic Ultimate Durability oil 5w-30 and a Ford Motorcraft PL-820S filter per his recommendations.

Here is the link. 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths (wordpress.com) (www.540ratblog.wordpress.com)

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you remind me of this member that used to be here. was called RBinNc or something like that. anyways he used to cry and cry it was such a hassle to find pup 0w40, even though he probly drove by one or two or three dealers every day, which would of had hundreds of qaurts on their shelves at all times. or the several places online he could of ordered it and had it on his door in three or four days. i dont see where the hassle is. i guess it could be a hassle if the person was a lazy bum.
many local dealers have reasonable prices on this oil. mine is nearly the same as buying online so i just drive over there and get it.
Please work on your reading comprehension. My point is to support my local, independent auto parts guy. I can buy it off Amazon with a push of a button. But, as a conservative Christian I take issue with Big Tech and their political position so I try to avoid them at all cost. It is also good for economic reasons in rural areas to support the local guys. I don’t drive past any dealers daily but the one I bought my truck from has a horrible service department. Just imagine that they hired you as their manager and that would be fairly accurate. And, I work hours longer than the service department is open. I open my office before they open and close after they close. As far as lazy, I’m a veterinarian that worked their way through college and I’ve owned a multiple doctor practice in Nashville for 15 year(I’ve worked those extensive hours for 21 years now). That is why I’m impressed that the Chevy dealer goes out of their way to help me change my wife’s Tahoe oil because they know the hours I work. Through previous conversations on this thread I admitted I was probably wrong by not using PUP and would switch over which means using Amazon as I can’t completely avoid helping pad their pockets. As far as you being an *******, no one needs medical training to identify that.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please work on your reading comprehension. My point is to support my local, independent auto parts guy. I can buy it off Amazon with a push of a button. But, as a conservative Christian I take issue with Big Tech and their political position so I try to avoid them at all cost. It is also good for economic reasons in rural areas to support the local guys. I don’t drive past any dealers daily but the one I bought my truck from has a horrible service department. Just imagine that they hired you as their manager and that would be fairly accurate. And, I work hours longer than the service department is open. I open my office before they open and close after they close. As far as lazy, I’m a veterinarian that worked their way through college and I’ve owned a multiple doctor practice in Nashville for 15 year(I’ve worked those extensive hours for 21 years now). That is why I’m impressed that the Chevy dealer goes out of their way to help me change my wife’s Tahoe oil because they know the hours I work. Through previous conversations on this thread I admitted I was probably wrong by not using PUP and would switch over which means using Amazon as I can’t completely avoid helping pad their pockets. As far as you being an *******, no one needs medical training to identify that.

i dont like amazin either. its a hub for counterfiet parts and poor qaulity junk from china. luckily ive only had to use amazon 2 or 3 times in my life. pup 0w40 can be found other places online besides amazon. if you insist buying from the local auto parts store, im sure they could get pup without much trouble

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds like you’re qualified and you’ve convinced me that I’m probably making a mistake using Mobil 1. The fact that Pennzoil will not sell the oil to my local NAPA store that is independently owned now aggravates me even more. Either buy from Ram or some unknown internet dealer or else the needed oil is unavailable. I’m a medical provider and I have a farm which is a second full time job so making an oil change turn into a major ordeal is an unnecessary chore. My local Chevy dealer picks up my wife’s Tahoe, does all the necessary maintenance and then drops it back off at my office. It’s cost me $20 more than doing it myself. I like this Ram better than any Chevy I’ve had but at the end of the day it’s just a truck that has a job do.

Thats odd. My NAPA stocks PUP 0w40.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats odd. My NAPA stocks PUP 0w40.
It was been odd. NAPA has it listed on their website and my local guy can place the order but it never gets delivered. He is being told that his distribution warehouse cannot get their hands on it. None of our big chain stores, O’Reilly and Autozone, have it either. I believe I may have even read some places in the country have it at Walmart. Maybe it’s a region thing. Everyone has Mobil 1 0w40 though but Mercedes has a big presence down here and I think some of the German cars recommend it. Anyway, I’ll order off the internet. I’ve put 50,000 on it with Mobil 1. Wonder if I’ve already set up some issues down the road?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was been odd. NAPA has it listed on their website and my local guy can place the order but it never gets delivered. He is being told that his distribution warehouse cannot get their hands on it. None of our big chain stores, O’Reilly and Autozone, have it either. I believe I may have even read some places in the country have it at Walmart. Maybe it’s a region thing. Everyone has Mobil 1 0w40 though but Mercedes has a big presence down here and I think some of the German cars recommend it. Anyway, I’ll order off the internet. I’ve put 50,000 on it with Mobil 1. Wonder if I’ve already set up some issues down the road?

Why not just keep using mobil 1 then?

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not just keep using mobil 1 then?
I was thinking that 0w40 synthetic was even across the board but HEMIMANN sounded convincing that there really is an advantage to PUP. I will say my engine runs great despite Mobil 1 and 87 octane! :)

Bahn112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
With the cost of oil changes at the dealership it was a no brainer for me to just have them do it.
Just bought a package of 3 oil changes for $145 from the dealer.