Mopar Denying Covered Repairs on Maximum Care Lifetime Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or has any advice. I felt like I wouldn't have to play this game with a factory offered warranty. If this website has a ram/mopar representative can you let me know there name so I can message them as well?

Background:
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 and paid for the Mopar lifetime warranty. My plan was to keep the truck forever and pay $100 deductible whenever I need repairs done. The truck is currently at about 140,000 miles.

Issue:
Ram goes into the dealer for getting a thud taking off from a stop. Seems to come from the driveline. I have brought the truck in for the thud on 2 times previously. They had the ring and pinion replaced at each visit. Currently the truck is in the shop for it again (3rd visit) and now I am running into warranty denial.

Dealer Diagnosis:
Replace driveshaft - Covered
Replace rear upper and lower control arms (bushing shot) - Denied as wear item
Replace front shocks (failed bounce test) - Denied as wear item
Service advisor tells me over the phone that at a certain mileage the company is starting to reclassify covered items as wear and denying them.

Warranty:
Attached
Here is a website that also lists items covered.
https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm
Suspension shows to be fully covered. No mention of warranty changes based on mileage.

Attachments

• Ram Contract1.pdf
    147 KB · Views: 24

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Page 6, second bullet under what is not covered.

"Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear);"

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Page 6, second bullet under what is not covered.

"Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear);"

You could claim everything on the truck could be "normal wear". Page 3 shows this for covered items.

COMPONENTS COVERED BY THE PLAN INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):

FRONT SUSPENSION: Shocks; Shock Mounts; Struts; Strut Mounts, Bushings and Bearings; Upper and Lower Control Arms;
Control Arm Bushings; Thrust Arms; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; Coil Springs; Torsion Bars; Air Suspension System; Front Wheel
Bearings.

REAR SUSPENSION: Rear Leaf Springs; Rear Coil Springs; Auxiliary Springs; Spring Interliner; Spring Bushing; Spring Shackle;
U-Bolt Rear Spring; Spring Hanger; Axle Trac Bar; Lateral Link Arm; Shocks; Shock Mount Plate; Struts; Strut Mounting Plates; Strut
Bushings; Rear Trailing Arm Assembly; Rear Torsion Arms; Rear

Page 6 has this for components not covered.

•Brake pads, shoes, rotors and drums are not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure);
• Battery and cables, spark plugs and wires, lights (bulb, sealed beams, lenses), suspension alignment, wheel balancing,
wiper blades, exhaust system components, heat shields and exhaust hangers; throttle body cleaning; evaporator
deodorizing; carbon cleaning;

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
And from the website you linked

" Wear items (such as tires, manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, belts and wipers)"

When a list says "such as" it means these are examples and not the entire list.

Did you read page 6? What would you consider "normal wear items"?

You bought an extension to the manufactures warranty, not a repair insurance policy. Manufacturers warranties also exclude normal wear items.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You could claim everything on the truck could be "normal wear". Page 3 shows this for covered items.

Such a good point. If it is worth it, file a small claims case/ Also, do you follow your responsibilities to a t? Oil changes and inspection? I had that lifetime warranty on my heep, seamed like a lot of holes in it. Not like bumper to bumper.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
From what I see, they should cover the front shocks but not the rear control arms.
It shows FRONT upper & lower control arms, but for rear it says 'torsion bars' which 'legally' aren't control arms.

Legalese is a tricky language.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

noodles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or has any advice. I felt like I wouldn't have to play this game with a factory offered warranty. If this website has a ram/mopar representative can you let me know there name so I can message them as well?

Background:
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 and paid for the Mopar lifetime warranty. My plan was to keep the truck forever and pay $100 deductible whenever I need repairs done. The truck is currently at about 140,000 miles.

Issue:
Ram goes into the dealer for getting a thud taking off from a stop. Seems to come from the driveline. I have brought the truck in for the thud on 2 times previously. They had the ring and pinion replaced at each visit. Currently the truck is in the shop for it again (3rd visit) and now I am running into warranty denial.

Dealer Diagnosis:
Service advisor tells me over the phone that at a certain mileage the company is starting to reclassify covered items as wear and denying them.

Warranty:
Attached
Suspension shows to be fully covered. No mention of warranty changes based on mileage.

Speak like your are talking to a moron and mention offhand the Lemon Law and the state Attorney General was interested.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lemon law isn't going to apply to a 7 year old vehicle with 140k.

I just love when people think the warranty they purchased is a magic wand to have everything fixed with no battle.

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I just love when people think the warranty they purchased is a magic wand to have everything fixed with no battle.

This is the first issue I have had. They have performed over 20k in repairs since R&Ps were about 4-7K each.

To add to this the front shocks have already been replaced under this warranty. How can you claim it is wear on the second replacement?

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Seems to me that shocks, bushings and control arms are all specifically covered, did you point that out to the dealer? They shouldn’t have sold lifetime contracts if they didn’t want to fix these things. I’d push them on this.

I have the same lifetime maxcare contract, haven’t used it yet because my truck only has 36k, but I plan on keeping it for a long time.

OP
OP
N

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to me that shocks, bushings and control arms are all specifically covered, did you point that out to the dealer? They shouldn’t have sold lifetime contracts if they didn’t want to fix these things. I’d push them on this.

I have the same lifetime maxcare contract, haven’t used it yet because my truck only has 36k, but I plan on keeping it for a long time.

My advisor agrees with me. He even said when he puts the parts in the system it tells him if it is covered or not. When he calls it in for approval they denied it as wear and tear.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nothing to do with the coverage charts. Read the fine print under "Terms and Conditions". It says they can change the terms of the agreement at any time, they may or may not verify with you, and they may or may not update their website. My non-expert opinion is you don't have a leg to stand on, and if you were to hire an attorney you would surely pay more for the assistance than the repairs will cost. Sorry.

Just a chance to again state a personal opinion that EWs are more often than not a bad bet, but if you are going to buy one do your research and see if an aftermarket one is more valuable and secure for the long term. Just because MOPAR sells these doesn't make them any better. You can get MOPAR service with other EWs if that is why you consider the "factory" EW.

PeteTPuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read somewhere that there is a current class action lawsuit against FCA for cancelling lifetime warranties without notice. I believe FCA has learned that these contracts were very popular and people are deciding to keep their trucks/jeeps/etc longer.

If FCA backs out of my Lifetime Warranty it will be the last FCA product I buy because if they can’t stand by their products and contracts, they aren’t worth supporting as a company.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Background:

Issue:

Dealer Diagnosis:

Warranty:
Attached

Sounds like someone is try to change the terms of your contract. The shocks should be covered. I would ask for it in writing and then go to small claims court.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

no they dont, but in many cases lemon law lawyers will take this type of case. But then you are splitting it with a lawyer, small claims will likely look favorably on you if the nomenclature is ambiguous. Small claims judges don't like legalize warranty companies./

sue both the dealer you bought it from and agent of service for fca, make them both show up. chances are they will just pay it when served.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Cases like this is a perfect example of why FCA ended the lifetime warranties. They've already paid out over 20k in this case, that's just crazy.

Personally, I would never expect any extended warranty to cover wear items like shocks, struts, brakes, tires, batteries, belts, suspension components, etc.

I would replace them myself and not think twice. Right or wrong (you decide) but in this case I suspect FCA is looking at all they paid out on this vehicle to date and they are using the warranty language to start to put the screws to the OP since he'***** the well so hard already, to try to stop the bleeding.

This is why I use warranties and insurance policies so sparingly, for big ticket items, major driveline failures or other large repairs that would significantly adversely affect my financial well being. Shocks, suspension components, no.

I think one is more likely to get some honey from that beehive using this approach, but who knows?

One thing the last year has reinforced to me is you never know. (Ie the great toilet paper shortage of 2020) can't make stuff like that up.

Just my .02 and nothing more.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I lost count of the number of emails I received from FCA between Nov 2020 thru March this year asking to cancel my Maxcare Warranty. They were offering $3k towards a new vehicle or straight $2,500 cash. FCA wants no part of these warranties anymore, they’ve made it VERY apparent. As a fellow member stated, they’re gonna use the “out language” to start denying claims. Kinda wishing I would have taken an offer.........not looking forward to when I have to make a claim.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lost count of the number of emails I received from FCA between Nov 2020 thru March this year asking to cancel my Maxcare Warranty. They were offering $3k towards a new vehicle or straight $2,500 cash. FCA wants no part of these warranties anymore, they’ve made it VERY apparent. As a fellow member stated, they’re gonna use the “out language” to start denying claims. Kinda wishing I would have taken an offer.........not looking forward to when I have to make a claim.

I wish I got that offer! I would take them up on it, most likely.

I like the idea of MaxCare Lifetime, but the more I have the truck the more Id rather do whatever I want to it vs worry that they might deny me years from now (which seems more likely by the day)

cimeelsekalb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Back to the thumping noise. Has anyone bothered to check the transmission mount(s)? I had this issue on my Camaro and no one could figure out what was making the thumping noise when I would start from a stop. Finally someone mentioned checking the mount and come to find out that’s exactly what it was. Had it happen twice more and ended up needing to Tap & Die it. Never had the problem again.

Just a suggestion…

Sucks about the warranty! I hope I never need to use mine, I unfortunately have the “New” MaxCare warranty….