Mopar MaxCare warranties vs Dealer extended warranties

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
These MaxCare warranties are just as good as the dealership warranties?

Adam
You have not posted any details of the "dealership" warranty but I can almost guarantee the dealership warranty is really good at one thing, generating a dealership profit and not much else. The devil is in the small print and you have to be careful. When the warranty or extended service contract says something like "soft trim is not covered", you have realize just how inclusive their definition of soft trim is. The problem is you don't discover how broad the definitions are until it is time to use the dealership's extended warranty.

If you want safety and do not want to sweat over the fine print, go with the MaxCare service contract. I've had them on all my RAMs and the couple of times I had to use them, it was a straightforward and easy process.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
You can also think of this way, can you trust a 3rd party not to go out of business?
If they do, those service contracts are covered by an insurance policy that will pay the claim. The contact information is listed in the contract. If there is no such information, run away from it...But that is rare nowadays as good dealers won't sell that crap.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
ALMOST every dealership or 3rd party warranty will only cover you within a Single State, or at best a few States
Not true. I have been employed in the service contract industry for 20++ years and 90% of the products offered cover in continental U.S. "Dealer Exclusive" stuff, such as pre-paid maint or powertrain only programs can have some limitations, but general service contracts? Your statement is very incorrect.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
There is a LOT of misinformation on these plans out there. The fact that people call them "warranties" spells that out. They are service contracts unless labeled as a "limited warranty", which is rare and normally only used for limited powertrain warranties. Also, warranties cannot be sold...They are included as part of a purchase. If you paid for it, it's a service contract, not a warranty. Further, there are TWO types of service contracts....Stated Coverage, and Exclusionary. Stated coverage means it only covers what is listed or stated in the terms and conditions. Exclusionary coverage means it covers everything EXCEPT what is listed in the exclusions. As for pricing, dealers make money in several ways...They have a "dealer net price", which is what they pay for it from the plan provider (Stellantis, JM&A, Ford, etc). they then mark it up to whatever they want, except for Florida where a retail price must be set from the provider. That mark-up is their profit center up front. On the backside, they have what is called profit share. That means that that there is a certain amount of the original price set aside to pay claims (claim reserve) and as that contract earns out, any monies left over from that reserve are paid back to the dealer for profit share. Dealers that operate off profit share mentality don't like to repair problems that don't exist...It hurts them to do so. They are much more likely to have techs that better diagnose cars without shotgunning parts at them to fix an issue. I could go on forever...I'll answer any questions you may have except what brand contract to buy.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will call them tomorrow and see what exactly they are quoting me. I saw a similar thread that gave a link to buy the Mopar MaxCare warranty (www.buymoparwarranty.com) and that was quoted at $1,370 for the 8-year / 60k mile warranty with $0 deductible.
I think you read the chart wrong. The $1370 is for $100 ded. It's $2015 for $0 ded.

I got my Maxcare from Granger when I picked my '22 2500 up from them. Same $50 above cost deal, and the best price I could find anywhere. It does offer some benefit to the 3/36 warranty, like paying for a rental for a few days if the dealer needs to keep the truck overnight for repairs. But ask to see the contract up front and study the "THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:" section to see if it covers everything you want/think it does.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
At only 10 pages there is a lot of room for interpretation. Some things are clearly covered and some things are clearly not. After that it's a judgment call. For Mopar it's corporate making the determination if it meets the ESP contract to pay for repairs and for the 3rd party it's if they can deny the work and keep your money in their pocket.

It seems the same but Mopar will adjust new vehicle MSRP to compensate for ESP losses and the 3rd party makes money by not paying for repairs.

I showed the finance person the Ziegler quote and they said it was fake as they would lose money. After some back and forth he told me that I could roll an ESP into the financing (for convenience) but he had to make a minimum of $1000 profit per policy. I politely declined.

I have not seen a 3rd party ESP but I can only imagine that they are similar. For reference my MaxCare ESP:

Attachments

• MOPAR Max Care ESP_Redacted.pdf
    536 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think you read the chart wrong. The $1370 is for $100 ded. It's $2015 for $0 ded.

I got my Maxcare from Granger when I picked my '22 2500 up from them. Same $50 above cost deal, and the best price I could find anywhere. It does offer some benefit to the 3/36 warranty, like paying for a rental for a few days if the dealer needs to keep the truck overnight for repairs. But ask to see the contract up front and study the "THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:" section to see if it covers everything you want/think it does.
I’m pricing the 60k mile / 8-year for my new truck.

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_8440.png
    IMG_8440.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 21

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
the couple of times I had to use them, it was a straightforward and easy process.
Mine's been generally easy too but they did put me through a bit of hell when the engine came up. All my service records were through the dealer so that was fine but for some reason they took exception to my registration. In my state (Oregon) when they send you the registration is says "application" across the top because at that point it is an application. Then you pay the fee and it becomes your registration... they insisted I didn't have any registration. It was pretty dumb since I had the title, the keys and the truck. In the end they finally gave in but it was a few days of screwing around.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I’m pricing the 60k mile / 8-year for my new truck.

Adam
Umm I just looked, with yours being a 24 and a gas engine it should be more like $1260 for 8/60K with $100 deductible. See attached

Attachments

• IMG_3177.jpg
    IMG_3177.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3178.jpg
    IMG_3178.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Umm I just looked, with yours being a 24 and a gas engine it should be more like $1260 for 8/60K with $100 deductible. See attached
Interesting… you’re right, I had $100 deductible selected. What state did you put in? I’m in Pennsylvania and maybe that’s making the price difference? Not sure, though.

Adam

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Interesting… you’re right, I had $100 deductible selected. What state did you put in? I’m in Pennsylvania and maybe that’s making the price difference? Not sure, though.

Adam
I input PA as I saw it was as your state and under 12 months old, gas engine an selected non commercial usage and you saw the price it gave me

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Still showing the $1370 for me this morning, with $100 ded. Using the same parameters (PA, gas, etc).

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I've been reading through the forum and have seen the MaxCare warranty come up a lot in subjects. My 2024 Ram 2500 is due in before the end of the month and I'm looking for some schooling on the difference (besides cost) of the MaxCare and the Dealership warranties.

I'm not going to be driving my truck a WHOLE lot, so I had them (dealership) give me a price on the 8-year / 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Dealership made a little mistake and to make up for it, quoted me $2,000 even for the warranty (down from $3,200). I haven't researched the MaxCare yet as I wanted to turn to you guys and gals on here to get your opinions. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Adam
Dealerships from my 50 year of experience dealing with them, they can make the extended warranty prices whatever they want. I've even talked w/a few that didn't pay anything for theirs (but, might have really paid for it through the purchase price of the vehicle). Which ever one you choose, makes sure it covers all the electronic components. As the electronic components basically operate the majority of the mechanical parts. My brother found this out. So, good luck to you on your choice and remember with the warranty, your betting it's going to break down, and their betting it's not.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dealerships from my 50 year of experience dealing with them, they can make the extended warranty prices whatever they want. I've even talked w/a few that didn't pay anything for theirs (but, might have really paid for it through the purchase price of the vehicle). Which ever one you choose, makes sure it covers all the electronic components. As the electronic components basically operate the majority of the mechanical parts. My brother found this out. So, good luck to you on your choice and remember with the warranty, your betting it's going to break down, and their betting it's not.
Thank you, I’ll be sure to do that! I see your profile says Waynesburg. Is that Waynesburg, PA??

Adam

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
So, I've been reading through the forum and have seen the MaxCare warranty come up a lot in subjects. My 2024 Ram 2500 is due in before the end of the month and I'm looking for some schooling on the difference (besides cost) of the MaxCare and the Dealership warranties.

I'm not going to be driving my truck a WHOLE lot, so I had them (dealership) give me a price on the 8-year / 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Dealership made a little mistake and to make up for it, quoted me $2,000 even for the warranty (down from $3,200). I haven't researched the MaxCare yet as I wanted to turn to you guys and gals on here to get your opinions. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Adam
I have had 21 Chrysler made vehicles in the last 30 years. I have has The ones the Chrysler had (Mopar today) and others the dealer said were just as good if not better, and cheaper too. I will never buy anything but MOPAR! IF you call MOPAR directly the finance the warranty with no interest for two years. I have on year left on MAX Care on my 17 RAM and so for have only used it on a started and gas tank. The other warranty companies charge for fluids, gaskets, and took a good while to pay the dealer. No thanks MOPAR is by far the best.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have had 21 Chrysler made vehicles in the last 30 years. I have has The ones the Chrysler had (Mopar today) and others the dealer said were just as good if not better, and cheaper too. I will never buy anything but MOPAR! IF you call MOPAR directly the finance the warranty with no interest for two years. I have on year left on MAX Care on my 17 RAM and so for have only used it on a started and gas tank. The other warranty companies charge for fluids, gaskets, and took a good while to pay the dealer. No thanks MOPAR is by far the best.
I appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

Adam

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat