Mopar MaxCare warranties vs Dealer extended warranties

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, I've been reading through the forum and have seen the MaxCare warranty come up a lot in subjects. My 2024 Ram 2500 is due in before the end of the month and I'm looking for some schooling on the difference (besides cost) of the MaxCare and the Dealership warranties.

I'm not going to be driving my truck a WHOLE lot, so I had them (dealership) give me a price on the 8-year / 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Dealership made a little mistake and to make up for it, quoted me $2,000 even for the warranty (down from $3,200). I haven't researched the MaxCare yet as I wanted to turn to you guys and gals on here to get your opinions. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Adam

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I dont drive mine much either, never have as I use it for the most part to haul my RV. The mopar maxcare is the product I used on my two RAMs. Works at any FCA dealer, and if bought online like at zieglers...was really affordable. I know my dealer tried to sell me a third party one, but it was way more than the online quote I got. I also did the 8 year/ 60k mile and it was $1150 back in 2021.

In the end I did have my previous Gen4 truck all 8 years. I dont remember if I ever had a real claim cause nothing ever failed. but stuff happens.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, I've been reading through the forum and have seen the MaxCare warranty come up a lot in subjects. My 2024 Ram 2500 is due in before the end of the month and I'm looking for some schooling on the difference (besides cost) of the MaxCare and the Dealership warranties.

I'm not going to be driving my truck a WHOLE lot, so I had them (dealership) give me a price on the 8-year / 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Dealership made a little mistake and to make up for it, quoted me $2,000 even for the warranty (down from $3,200). I haven't researched the MaxCare yet as I wanted to turn to you guys and gals on here to get your opinions. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Adam
I dont drive mine much either, never have as I use it for the most part to haul my RV. The mopar maxcare is the product I used on my two RAMs. Works at any FCA dealer, and if bought online like at zieglers...was really affordable. I know my dealer tried to sell me a third party one, but it was way more than the online quote I got. I also did the 8 year/ 60k mile and it was $1150 back in 2021.
These extended warranties some of y'all are buying - they don't start until the original warranty is up, correct? Otherwise, it's covering things already covered.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Was the $1,150 for the MaxCare warranty you purchased? These MaxCare warranties are just as good as the dealership warranties?

Adam

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
These extended warranties some of y'all are buying - they don't start until the original warranty is up, correct? Otherwise, it's covering things already covered.
From what I've read, they start from day one of ownership. I could be wrong though.... great question.

Adam

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From what I've read, they start from day one of ownership. I could be wrong though.... great question.

Adam
It used to be that if you wanted an extended warranty you had to buy it before you drove off the lot, and it started that day, which was a waste of money because you were paying for things already covered by the original warranty. So, if your original warranty was for 3yrs/36,000 miles and you bought a 5-year extended warranty, that extended warranty actually only covered you for the last 2 years after the original one expired.

Then, quite a number of years ago there were so many consumer complaints about that so there was a change in the law that said you could wait to buy an extended warranty until Day #365 of the last year before your original warranty expired. You would probably be paying a lot more for it because it was a true "extended" warranty, but you could wait to buy it.

Now you can buy one at any time, even after your original warranty expires. You're really going to pay extra for that, but you can get it.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Who is underwriting the "dealership" warranty? They sell both factory (Mopar MaxCare) and 3rd party extended service plans (ESPs). There is no such thing as an extended warranty as that implies that the basic warranty is extended...which is not true. Lots of stuff covered by an ESP but nowhere near as much as the basic new-vehicle warranty (3 years/36K miles).

The dealership makes w-a-y more money selling 3rd party ESPs so that would be my guess, but ask to be sure. If it's not Mopar MaxCare then it's a 3rd party.

Yes the MaxCare new vehicle ESP goes into effect retroactively to the day the truck was first bought and driven off the lot...but it's still cheaper than a used vehicle MaxCare ESP. If you went based on time only - a 7 year new vehicle ESP is cheaper than a 4 year used vehicle ESP and both end at the 7 year point.

If you wait to purchase a new vehicle MaxCare ESP there is a price bump at 12 months and another at 24 months. In the end the least expensive MaxCare ESP is a new vehicle ESP purchased within the first year of buying a new truck. The price only goes up from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Who is underwriting the "dealership" warranty? They sell both factory (Mopar MaxCare) and 3rd party extended service plans (ESPs). There is no such thing as an extended warranty as that implies that the basic warranty is extended...which is not true. Lots of stuff covered by an ESP but nowhere near as much as the basic new-vehicle warranty (3 years/36K miles).

The dealership makes w-a-y more money selling 3rd party ESPs so that would be my guess, but ask to be sure. If it's not Mopar MaxCare then it's a 3rd party.

Yes the MaxCare new vehicle ESP goes into effect retroactively to the day the truck was bought and driven off the lot...but it's still cheaper than a used vehicle MaxCare ESP. If you went based on time only - a 7 year new vehicle ESP is cheaper than a 4 year used vehicle ESP and both end at the 7 year point.

If you wait to purchase a new vehicle MaxCare ESP there is a price bump at 12 months and another at 24 months. In the end the least expensive MaxCare ESP is a new vehicle ESP purchased within the first year of buying a new truck. The price only goes up from there.
I will call them tomorrow and see what exactly they are quoting me. I saw a similar thread that gave a link to buy the Mopar MaxCare warranty (www.buymoparwarranty.com) and that was quoted at $1,370 for the 8-year / 60k mile warranty with $0 deductible. Like you said, the nice thing is I have 12 months to decide if I want it or not.

Reading up on these; if I buy the warranty through that website (dealer out of IA), I can use that warranty at any FCA dealership. Still have some digging to do but that seems to be the way to go.

Adam

brian42

Military
Reaction score
A Mopar MaxCare warranty is good at any Mopar dealership. It's good pretty much anywhere.

A Mopar dealership will tell you in short order if it's covered and get to work if it is. Any other place you go outside a Mopar dealership and you need to get the work approved before they start.

I got mine through Ziegler (https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/)

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A Mopar MaxCare warranty is good at any Mopar dealership. It's good pretty much anywhere.

A Mopar dealership will tell you in short order if it's covered and get to work if it is. Any other place you go outside a Mopar dealership and you need to get the work approved before they start.

I got mine through Ziegler (https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/)
Good stuff, thank you for the help! Sounds to me that I need to clarify what my dealership is offering me first. Once I know that information, I can decide on what to do (if I do anything). Regardless, it sounds like getting the MaxCare from one of the dealers offering them at great cost would be the route to go.

Adam

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Good stuff, thank you for the help! Sounds to me that I need to clarify what my dealership is offering me first. Once I know that information, I can decide on what to do (if I do anything). Regardless, it sounds like getting the MaxCare from one of the dealers offering them at great cost would be the route to go.

Adam
Adam,

I purchased my 8/100 **** care warranty last month from the Granger Motors aka the dealer in IA, they beat Ziegler prices by some $360 for the warranty on my 2022 truck

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Adam,

I purchased my 8/100 **** care warranty last month from the Granger Motors aka the dealer in IA, they beat Ziegler prices by some $360 for the warranty on my 2022 truck
Thank you for the info. I wonder what my local dealership would say if I showed them this pricing?

Adam

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thank you for the info. I wonder what my local dealership would say if I showed them this pricing?

Adam
They may or may not match it, some get upset about it, note some states have a sales tax on stuff like warranty's so ya have to be careful an see if yours has that as your local dealer would have to add that to the total price.....

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They may or may not match it, some get upset about it, note some states have a sales tax on stuff like warranty's so ya have to be careful an see if yours has that as your local dealer would have to add that to the total price.....
I’ll let you all know how it goes. Truck is set to arrive to the local railyard on Thursday. Then, it heads to the dealership.

Adam

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I will tell you something that you may not find out from a Dealership & or 3rd Party Extended Warranties.

ALMOST every dealership or 3rd party warranty will only cover you within a Single State, or at best a few States

Ask your dealer what happens if you break down at Disneyland in Anaheim, California or Canada's Wonderland in Ontario, Canada

On the other hand, A Mopar Warranty is valid at any U.S. or Canadian Stellantis Dealership, ( Dodge ).
Also if you break down in Mexico, you would contact the number in your Mopar Warranty booklet, & they will direct you to a garage, where the warranty is valid.

Personally, i would not cross the Mexican Border with MY vehicle & the Border is less than 50 miles from my address.
In fact, at the rate that they are shooting Police, Mayors, Governors down in Mexico, i did not lose anything in Mexico when i use to cross the Border often, so i don't want to go back.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
1) Don't buy warranties, self-insure and have more money in the long run.

2) If you ignore #1, get an OEM warranty only and from one of the online places that run cost+$50 like Granger or the like

3) Your dealer will **** you like a housecat given 1/2 an opportunity and will lie to you for the sheer fun of it. Everything in the F&I office is for the benefit of the dealer's bottom line and not you. Everything. Period.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just bought a MOPAR Extended Maxcare Warranty from Zeigler, they are several hundred dollars less costly than the exact same warranty from a dealership.

Granger Motors in Iowa also sells the MOPAR Warranty, at something like $50 over cost
They are a vendor here on the Ramforum

Granger Motors is

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never in my life bought any extended warranty for any vehicle I have ever owned until i bought my 2021 ram 1500 new. With all of the electronics in these 5th gen rams I can't imagine what it would cost to repair. My selling dealer tried to sell me an aftermarket warranty but I declined. This past summer I searched around for a Maxcare plan and ended up buying a 8 year 100k mile plan from Zeigler that I paid for in full so I was able ro get it for about $2300 otherwise it would've been a hundred or two more. It is not a bumper to bumper warranty and there is a lot of stuff they don't cover but it is a Mopar factory backed extended warranty so I'm able to use it anywhere in the country. Fortunately the factory bumper to bumper warranty is still active so I haven't used the max care warranty yet.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mopar factory backed or nothing. "Dealer" warranties are going to be a third party and loaded with exclusions. I've had a Lifetime Maxcare since 2014 and have got a transmission, an engine, exhaust bolts, radiator and Uconnect system (also had a tranny go under basic factory warranty so the one I received with the Maxcare was the second rebuild).

Shop around online and use that price with your local dealer or just buy from the internet one.... that's what I did and have been super happy.