Morimoto Elite Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Flaco

Flaco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 2005, 2019
Engine
5.7, 8.3, 6.7
Headlight Revolution check out their site. they have can-bus HID light kits have on my truck now 5 months and not one problem. I put Hid Fog lights 35 watt and also 55watt Hid lights in my projector headlights

Link, please?

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Greetings

Last October I had the morimoto elite hid kit 5500k installed on my 17 ram rt.
1 week I had to replace 1 ballistic and the relays. The following week the other ballistic had to be replaced.

Have ya experience any issues with this kit?
Looks like the greater majority have no issues. I am not the grater majority. Had 4 55watt Ballast go within a 6 month period. Granted, the Retroshop warranted each one. Still doesn't make changing them any easier. After the 4th ballast died and I had heard four various reasons including a "Bad Batch" or 2015 Rams are the issue I ordered a set of Cheap ones from Amazon and so far no more issues. Still have the last warranty ballast as a spare just in case.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I had issues with the 55w morimoto set up on my 2010. Went through 4 ballasts before giving up. Ran led's with no problems at all. On my 2015 ran ddm 35w hid's had them a year and had zero issues then sold my truck. Currently on my 18 in my quads I ran headlight revolution supernova v3's and opt7 led's in my highs for a year with zero issues. In my projector set up I've used Hikari ultra led's for about 2 months with no problems and am trying out the innovative 55w hid's now. I don't have any time on them yet to say if they are any good or not.

2018 2500 6.4L

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe 55w in general just isn't as reliable as 35w?

I've read that in a few places, 55w is brighter but finicky. OEM is usually 35w for reliability.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
55w generally do not last as long as 35w, it’s the reason TRS only
Warranty’s then for 2 years rather than 3 or 5.

FWIW I’ve run DDM and they still work to this day, I’ve run cheap amazon and they suck, I’ve run Morimoto 35 and 55w and hylux 45w. I have DDM ballasts
From over 15 years ago that still work. The issue is mainly output and warmup, the DDM are or used to be DC output ballasts which cause a cooler bulb temp, are less likely to ignite in cooler weather and tend to be below advertised wattage. The Morimoto I’ve had failures in 35w and a 55w ballast but this is out of 5 kits that’s I own. I also have probably 8 kits of DDM (5 being 35w). Being that I run both I will always side with Morimoto due to increased performance and great warranty while still active. You buy HIDs and expect them to at least live for the warranty period which a 55w is at least 2 years, I know they extend it if you buy the kit with the Morimoto bulbs. I’ve stated 3+ years on my 55w elites, I have 3 years on another set but it sees much mess usage.

It might be a bad batch, could be a bad connection, could be stress on the wires who knows. Running cheap bulbs adds stress to the system as well.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I find ironic is that our first car with HID was a 2003 Acura TL bought brand new. That car is still kicking (sold it to a family member) and has never had anything headlight-related replaced. No bulbs, no ballasts. Never once did they not turn on, in extreme cold or heat. Nor did they ever shut off because of heat.

Same goes for my 2011 G37 and our 2015 lexus ES.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had the complete kit warranty (replace)? If so is it even possible?
I have, they saw my post on here and sent me a new set of everything a few months back. They also sent me a set of igniters that were a brand new design (again this was about 3 months ago). What finally solved my problem was ripping out the morimoto wiring harness and resistors and changing my headlights to HID using Alfa odb. Haven’t had any issues since.

OP
OP
Flaco

Flaco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 2005, 2019
Engine
5.7, 8.3, 6.7
I have, they saw my post on here and sent me a new set of everything a few months back. They also sent me a set of igniters that were a brand new design (again this was about 3 months ago). What finally solved my problem was ripping out the morimoto wiring harness and resistors and changing my headlights to HID using Alfa odb. Haven’t had any issues since.
It’s not the first time I hear about alfa obd, i should give it a try!
What gen, do you have projectors?

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not the first time I hear about alfa obd, i should give it a try!
What gen, do you have projectors?
I have 2018 2500 Tradesman. Alfa is a great program, I think it cost me $115 for that and the Bluetooth mx and I can now program almost anything on my truck. I can’t tell you how frustrated I had become with the morimoto kit, went through 4 igniters and 4-5 ballasts. Retro shop was great about sending new parts but my headlights would go out while driving etc. with help from the great people on this forum I removed the relay harness and resistors, made 1 change in the Bcm and haven’t had an issue since. I don’t care what hid kit you use, I would stay away from resistors and canbus adapters and get alfa.

Yes I have oem projector housings.
30F79908-FADB-434B-97AB-93AB70A79AD7.jpeg