Morimoto hid's alignment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed this hid kit from retroshop. Very pleased with it! I wanted to run their led fogs too but wasn't wild about the black plastic housing they came with so I ended up running diode dynamics led fogs. Just figuring the height adjustment tonight so I don't blind anyone and was curious if anyone knows how to fix the "unevenness" of the hid's. The cutoff from the headlights are statight but on the driver side it drops down. It seems to me the headlights need moved to the left to be more centered on the vehicle? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. When adjuating the headlights up and down I can get the cutoff straight across. Do I need to move them left to right? Can I even move them left to right? Lol
IMG_20180811_213231.jpg

Last edited:

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to tell with that shack sitting there, try getting about 15 feet away from a wall and see the cutoff and beam pattern, it'll show better. Adjustments are made on top of the headlights through s.all, round holes with an arrow pointing to them and beneath the bottom bolt of the headlight, you can see an adjustment thing under where the bolt sits.

Here's mine for reference.e6ff0a395bb2f24a9371c3bb6dfe40aa.jpgcdfef20d56c4ef2bc5532ff3b67f4f77.jpg4bdd014ab6472043601db32cb82f4cd5.jpg

OP
OP
30stones

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have adjusted both of them up and down.
IMG_20180811_204709.jpg

The area I have circles is what I'm talking about. It seems to me the headlights are pointed in the direction of the blue lines?
1277197970.png 1277197970.png

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do believe the driverside is supposed to be lower like that. Most of the cut off pics that I have seen look like that. The picture against the garage looks like it is aimed high. The actual cut off line looks great.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picture from retrosource fb457c66c15de4480c423cd051c6a67453.jpg

OP
OP
30stones

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do believe the driverside is supposed to be lower like that. Most of the cut off pics that I have seen look like that. The picture against the garage looks like it is aimed high. The actual cut off line looks great.

Your right. I did find some info on it and that's what's it's for. Couldn't find much here on the forum but Google helped me out lol. Yeah they were aimed high my driveway is on a slope so it's angled up. That was before I adjusted them down. Thanks for the info.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea that step as they call it is designed to be there like that. It is so it isnt shinning in oncoming drivers eyes as far as I know. Thats why they make left hand drive and right hand drive projectors.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed this hid kit from retroshop. Very pleased with it! I wanted to run their led fogs too but wasn't wild about the black plastic housing they came with so I ended up running diode dynamics led fogs. Just figuring the height adjustment tonight so I don't blind anyone and was curious if anyone knows how to fix the "unevenness" of the hid's. The cutoff from the headlights are statight but on the driver side it drops down. It seems to me the headlights need moved to the left to be more centered on the vehicle? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. When adjuating the headlights up and down I can get the cutoff straight across. Do I need to move them left to right? Can I even move them left to right? Lol
View attachment 137068

Your headlights aren’t projectors are they?

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at the pic that shows your garage door.
I think the bulbs need to be rotated in the projector. You shouldn’t have the hot and cold spots. Should be similar color throughout. I don’t think you should have a sideways “D” in the pattern.
What size bulbs did you get?

OP
OP
30stones

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at the pic that shows your garage door.
I think the bulbs need to be rotated in the projector. You shouldn’t have the hot and cold spots. Should be similar color throughout. I don’t think you should have a sideways “D” in the pattern.
What size bulbs did you get?
How do i rotate them? Just pull them out and flip them so the tabs go in differently than before? This is from the order form as far as bulb size [High/Low:Low (9012/HIR2 - Projector Lights)]

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. Could be as easy as just twisting them out and rotating them. That shadowing could be from the wire that goes to the top of the bulb. If I remember correctly that wire should be facing down when the bulb is seated correctly in the projector.
If you actually do have 9012 HID bulbs and not 9006 (they also fit into the 9012 housing although not 100%) the bulbs will only go in one way. The only way then is to possibly unscrew/loosen 3 screws that hold the bulb base onto the rear of the projector and rotate it that way. Not sure if the TYC housings are capable of that.

OP
OP
30stones

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. Could be as easy as just twisting them out and rotating them. That shadowing could be from the wire that goes to the top of the bulb. If I remember correctly that wire should be facing down when the bulb is seated correctly in the projector.
If you actually do have 9012 HID bulbs and not 9006 (they also fit into the 9012 housing although not 100%) the bulbs will only go in one way. The only way then is to possibly unscrew/loosen 3 screws that hold the bulb base onto the rear of the projector and rotate it that way. Not sure if the TYC housings are capable of that.
I rotated the bulb today. It is a 9012 and I was able to unscrew the 3 screws like you said and roated it but its still the same. Any input? IMG_20180814_174300.jpg

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's because your so close to the wall you can see the pattern. From the picture that show a further distance the beam looks more uniformed