Motorola MA1 wireless android auto adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems I'm always having to swap cables for my android auto connection every few months, even though this last one I routed and zip tied in place to keep movement and wear to an absolute minimum. Probably lasted 3 months max before I started having issues with it. Decided to do some research and found the Motorola MA1 adapter on Amazon for about $65. Seemed to be a reasonable price, and reputable brand. Plugged it in last night, tested it out and connecting was easy (search your Bluetooth connections for Android Auto connection and pair it). It paired right up with no issues. One thing I was worried about was audio to video syncing, since most Bluetooth devices have a noticeable lag. I tend to watch a lot of videos in my truck while on lunch or waiting for stuff. With the wired AA connection, there was some lag, but not too bad. When AA wasn't connecting and I had to use the regular Bluetooth connection, the lag was 2 seconds or more. Happy to say, the lag with this setup is just like the wired connection, very minimal. One thing I did notice, was with the truck parked and off, my phone was trying to connect to the device from my living room, which is only 15-20 feet away from my truck. So, I have to check the fuse under the hood to see if it's the one powered all the time or only with the key on. Hopefully, this eliminates all the connection issues I was having with the cables.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have to check the fuse under the hood to see if it's the one powered all the time or only with the key on. Hopefully, this eliminates all the connection issues I was having with the cables.
I'll save you the trouble, it won't matter with the fuse as it doesn't affect the Media USB hub power.
I ran into the same problem when I started using the AAWireless module in my truck. I installed a relay to turn the power off that USB hub when the ignition power is off, the wiring runs up the back of the center console.
Here's a thread on ways to accomplish this mod:

I will say the AAWireless module works great and usually connects in 30 seconds or less and now supports CarPlay also.
It's available on Amazon also

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Will be interested in longer use thoughts. I have considered this unit a couple times but wonder about the overheating that a few have run into. Also, my main use would be for Google maps so wondering if there is any problems with lag or dark mode while using the device. I read reviews all the time but often the reviews leave out the type of head unit and/or phone (and versions of software used) to really use the information.

I just haven't had a problem with my wire in over a year (replaced original wire that finally dropped after 3 years) so still holding on the purchase. But probably will at some point.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll save you the trouble, it won't matter with the fuse as it doesn't affect the Media USB hub power.
I ran into the same problem when I started using the AAWireless module in my truck. I installed a relay to turn the power off that USB hub when the ignition power is off, the wiring runs up the back of the center console.
Here's a thread on ways to accomplish this mod:

I will say the AAWireless module works great and usually connects in 30 seconds or less and now supports CarPlay also.
It's available on Amazon also
I just read that thread, and my truck is a jumpseat truck, so I'm hoping it's as simple as popping the one pin out of the one harness and splicing into the other wire. If that's the case, I can accomplish that in about 10 minutes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@hunterdan I would imagine the harness that runs to the back of the jump seat is probably the same at the center console. Don't recall anyone having mentioned changing that harness during a console/seat swap.
I had a mini automotive relay in my spare parts bin, so that what I went with instead of de-pinning anything.
It's something you'll want to do in some way, mine kept waking the truck radio up along with attempting to connect to the phone and I'm guessing caused a slow start once.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@hunterdan I would imagine the harness that runs to the back of the jump seat is probably the same at the center console. Don't recall anyone having mentioned changing that harness during a console/seat swap.
I had a mini automotive relay in my spare parts bin, so that what I went with instead of de-pinning anything.
It's something you'll want to do in some way, mine kept waking the truck radio up along with attempting to connect to the phone and I'm guessing caused a slow start once.
I just got AAWireles from my wife for Christmas. There is a setting (may have to update to the latest version of firmware) that now allows you to have it go into a low power mode when the radio bluetooth connection is absent and it will keep the phone from connecting to AA (Start / Stop is the setting). I'm going to check out your thread on the keyed relay though. In addition, there is another setting that is listed as "Start fix" which I believe makes the phone connect even faster to AA.

One interesting thing that AAwireless may have inadvertently cured for me was it's appsettings recommendation of changing Android Auto's battery optimization setting to "unrestricted". On my Samsung S23 AA would stop responding to touches across vehicles and brands. Changing the battery optimization appears to have stopped this behavior (so far). I also no longer recieve the "Device not supported" message.

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I have an AAWireless and a Carlinkit 5.0. My MA-1 died after a year around the same time my hub did. Not sure if the two are related. All three devices worked well. The AAWireless has an app on android and can be set to not try connecting Android Auto until your phone connects to the vehicle bluetooth which works well in our Pacifica. I previously used the MA-1 in my Ram and did rewired the power to the hub to be keyed so that it shut off with the truck (main annoyance I had with MA-1).

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far. After using this for a few days. It works great, other than having to unplug it when shutting the truck off. I still have to switch the USB media hub power to key on. Next mod on the list might be a wireless charger cradle from bullet point to go with their mount.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Switch the hub to keyed power for sure. I had the MA-1 from when it first came out and it worked great for quite a while, until it didn't. Got hot and would drop connection.

Switched to the AA Wireless dongle and it's been great. I also like how you can change the layout of the screen some with the AA unit.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Switch the hub to keyed power for sure. I had the MA-1 from when it first came out and it worked great for quite a while, until it didn't. Got hot and would drop connection.

Switched to the AA Wireless dongle and it's been great. I also like how you can change the layout of the screen some with the AA unit.
Change the layout of the screen some? Can you explain further?

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Managed to switch the wiring around this morning, fairly straightforward. Seems to be working as it should. Ended up just cutting and splicing, but left enough room in the wiring to make it easy to swap back if needed.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I know with AAWireless you can adjust the screen DPI which allows reconfiguring of the screen layout. I think this was more prevalent before the Coolwalk layout update of AndroidAuto.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Change the layout of the screen some? Can you explain further?
Yeah you can adjust the dpi and have your quick launch icons on the side instead of a bar on the bottom.

I don't recall if it's specific to AA wireless or not, but I prefer to set it as right hand drive so my music app is on the left side of the screen.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah you can adjust the dpi and have your quick launch icons on the side instead of a bar on the bottom.

I don't recall if it's specific to AA wireless or not, but I prefer to set it as right hand drive so my music app is on the left side of the screen.
I'm gonna have to try this! I just noticed your signature, I plan to put one of your 8HP bypass valves in soonish!

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Just tried DPI...very cool! My findings, There is a changeover between DPI set to 140 and 130. 140 is the smallest you can get it and have the Icons still displayed on the bottom. At 130 it switches the icons to the side and changes quite a few other display functions (just have to play with it to see if you like the new display). I'll be leaving mine at DPI 130...

DPI 130
1704831962612.png

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did a little more investigating and the auto cutover to sidebar icons using AAwireless for DPI is 132. A DPI of 133 and above leaves the icons under the map. For those without DPI settings to alter, you can get the same results by altering an Android auto setting on the radio screen. The setting to turn off is "show quick controls for apps" which can be changed on the radio itself while AA is running on the AA settings menu. This also moves the icons previously under the main screen to the sidebar.

1705161400583.png

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's been several months since I installed this and did the power wire switch. So far, zero issues. Connectivity is still just as quick as day one. It's dropped out maybe once or twice since and that's a maybe. I don't really recall having any major issues. I highly recommend so far if you're tired of having to use the cable connection. Now, if only I could find a worthwhile wireless charger that I can mount to my bulletpoint mounting system. I have theirs but I'm not blown away with it and it's charging ability.