Moving gooseneck from a '98 4x4 to an '01 RWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The Magnum engine in my '98 Ram 2500 4x4 died a week ago (Broken stuff, metal shards in oil. Not fixable). Today I bought an '01 Ram 2500 RWD Cummins Diesel to replace it.

The new truck has a brake controller and is wired with a 6-pin trailer plug, but no gooseneck hitch. I want to move the gooseneck over to the new truck, and I'm contemplating if there are any parts in the 4x4 Suspension of the old truck that might improve the truck for towing. I tow a 12000# 3-horse trailer.

1) When I move the gooseneck, I'm assuming I will need to drill mounting holes for the hitch in the new truck's frame. What do I need to match from the old truck to the new truck to put it in the correct position? Is it the distance from the rear axle? Something else?

2) Would moving any of the suspension parts from the old 4x4 (Rear springs, etc.) be helpful for towing? Are they even swappable with 4x4 parts?

3) Beyond the mounting of the hitch parts to the new truck, and cutting a hole for the ball, are there any other necessary mods I should make before using it as a gooseneck?