Muffler swap for towing performance vs sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IrishRam768

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,
I've read a lot of post on exhaust and muffler swaps for sound. Is there a benefit to performance regarding towing? I have also read with some changes you could have engine lights come on for different reasons. Really confusing if it worth the change. I just not interested in the sound more for performance value if that makes sense.

After many reads I did install an S&B sealed cold air intake on vs the open engine bay style and this seemed to assist some.

Thank you for reading.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CAI and exhaust not do anything for towing, just sound more vroom, and nothing for mpg either or HP really. U would have to open up motor, change cams, maybe lifters, heads and such, add headers, tune, stuff like that, but that for performance, not really towing either, IMHO .....

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do what makes you happy and smile while driving your truck . It’s yours . should not get any codes for a muffler swap, but if you do ,post the issue and someone will be along with more opinions.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
U would have to open up motor, change cams, maybe lifters, heads and such, add headers, tune, stuff like that,
Better off to loose the spark plugs and add an intercooled turbocharger, much better torque curve for towing.:cool:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you looking to achieve with the "performance regarding towing"? Before people start wigging out I'm going to say it's your truck and money so do what you feel you need to do. I will also say that you wont notice much of anything with the cold air intake and exhaust other than sound until you start diving into the engine. You dont mention any specifics about your truck and what you tow with it but gear ratio's will make a big difference in towing.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
2019 1500 Big Horn with 3:92 gear. I'm towing a 27` TT 6500lbs and typically been averaging10.5 mpg.
Decent sized trailer which the truck shouldn't struggle to pull and your in double digit fuel economy which is bonus perk for a gasser. If you go with a muffler that flows more it's libel to be louder, something to think about when the engine is revving over 2500 rpms while towing.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the responses, 2019 1500 Big Horn with 3:92 gear. I'm towing a 27` TT 6500lbs and typically been averaging10.5 mpg. The CAI I did received good reviews and wanted a sealed system.
Right gears for the job and good mileage towing that pig. No muffler will get you a very noticeable improvement.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses, 2019 1500 Big Horn with 3:92 gear. I'm towing a 27` TT 6500lbs and typically been averaging10.5 mpg. The CAI I did received good reviews and wanted a sealed system.
Your truck is obviously capable of towing that trailer and you're getting better MPG's than most would expect while towing already. I highly doubt you'll be able to improve anything besides getting into a smaller trailer.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck is obviously capable of towing that trailer and you're getting better MPG's than most would expect while towing already. I highly doubt you'll be able to improve anything besides getting into a smaller trailer.
NOT bad mileage considering. When I tow, I pull a 2150 lb stock trailer, filled with hay, a lil over 6,500 to 7,000 lbs. It is a 14' X 5" stock, and I get 12.1/2 ish, and I am happy with that. U R pulling close to same weight but a lot more sail, so in the 10's be happy, or, OMG, get a diesel, LOL.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NOT bad mileage considering. When I tow, I pull a 2150 lb stock trailer, filled with hay, a lil over 6,500 to 7,000 lbs. It is a 14' X 5" stock, and I get 12.1/2 ish, and I am happy with that. U R pulling close to same weight but a lot more sail, so in the 10's be happy, or, OMG, get a diesel, LOL.
Did you mean to quote my post? I'm not the one that thinks 10 mpg while towing is bad lol

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although not much increase the chambered mufflers are typically a little more restrictive than the open straight through kind so if all else equal remove the stock resonator/s and that large stock chambered muffler. Go for an open straight through kind. I ended up going with a dynoMax race bullet in place of the stock muffler and removed the resonator. If anything it no doubt sounds like a hemi now lol. Puts a smile on my face anytime I step on it that’s for sure

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you mean to quote my post? I'm not the one that thinks 10 mpg while towing is bad lol
Just adding to the conversation. Heck, I am happy to get 12 mpg when pulling my trailer with hay, that works for me, especially since there be a Hemi unda dat hood.

Chan_man808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although not much increase the chambered mufflers are typically a little more restrictive than the open straight through kind so if all else equal remove the stock resonator/s and that large stock chambered muffler. Go for an open straight through kind. I ended up going with a dynoMax race bullet in place of the stock muffler and removed the resonator. If anything it no doubt sounds like a hemi now lol. Puts a smile on my face anytime I step on it that’s for sure
I totally agree that you will see an improvement over the stock muffler, how much? That’s open for interpretation. The biggest bang will be from changing the exhaust manifolds on these things, once you see them you will understand!