Mufflex clamps leaking water?!?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just finished installing the mufflex dodm80. Install was easy and truck sounds great!! I know leaks can be an issue with mufflex. I tightened the clamps with an electric impact but when I started the truck for the first time after the install, water was dripping from all three clamps. I assume this is not normal and is a sign of a leak. Is it normal for exhaust systems to have this much water in them?

What can I do to fix this? I didn't use the rtv stuff. Would that help? I don't want to weld it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Spray some copper sealant in there and then clamp it back down.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Just finished installing the mufflex dodm80. Install was easy and truck sounds great!! I know leaks can be an issue with mufflex. I tightened the clamps with an electric impact but when I started the truck for the first time after the install, water was dripping from all three clamps. I assume this is not normal and is a sign of a leak. Is it normal for exhaust systems to have this much water in them?

What can I do to fix this? I didn't use the rtv stuff. Would that help? I don't want to weld it.

Yes, exhausts pull moisture, from ambient air.
Just do.

If water is leaking, at connections, then you need permaseal/tex or weld the thing

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, exhausts pull moisture, from ambient air.
Just do.

If water is leaking, at connections, then you need permaseal/tex or weld the thing

Carbon dioxide and water are a by product of the combustion process of gasoline (hydrocarbons). So it's normal in that sense. Water vapor also condenses as the hot air travels through colder exhaust pipe as it travels.

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just assumed that since water was leaking out, that exhaust gases were also leaking out. Is that incorrect?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I just assumed that since water was leaking out, that exhaust gases were also leaking out. Is that incorrect?

Yeah if you have water leaking chances are you have exhaust fumes leaking out also, probably not much and your muffler is under the bed so it's probably not hurting anything but getting some of the cooper sealer is a good idea.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I put in my DODM80, I had to make sure the clamps had enough material on both ends to clamp on to. Essentially, make sure the pipe coming from the headers/cat and the pipe going to the tail are in as far as they will go and crank it down tight. You do that and the sealant and it should be good to go from there.

Oh and BTW, it sounds NICE! I remote start mine when I'm walking up about 10 feet away every time just to hear the rumble, lol.