Mufflex delete, backpressure, and towing performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 1500 4x4, 3.21 gears, 8 speed transmission.

A few years ago, I added a Mufflex delete. I love the sound and didn’t really notice and decrease in performance.

I just bought a 27 foot travel trailer. I noticed that when pulling it with my RAM, it feels like the truck is struggling to accelerate from a stop. The trailer itself is well within the trucks towing capacity. I’m sure having 3.21 gears is not ideal for towing. I also get horrible fuel economy (8-10 mpg average).

My question is this: does the mufflex delete really hurt low end torque? Would replacing it with a Carven competitor be better for performance? Or would adding a tuner with custom tune help more for towing? Obviously, upgrading to a 2500 would be the best fix for towing performance but that isn’t an option right now.

I appreciate the help!

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
I have had a 2011 ram 1500 and 2013 ram R/T, the tuner makes the biggest difference.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
does the mufflex delete really hurt low end torque?

No. A lot of people think a certain amount of backpressure is needed for torque; this is not true. You want the least amount of backpressure for maximum torque. Less restriction = less backpressure = more torque.

An exhaust that's too large can be just as bad as one that's too small. A properly tuned system will help scavenge the exhaust gasses in the most efficient manner possible.

From a Road & Track article: "Basically, when people claim that a certain amount of backpressure is beneficial, they're mixing up backpressure and scavenging. The latter is a phenomenon where the movement of gases through the exhaust system creates a partial vacuum that can actually suck the exhaust out of the cylinder. A properly-designed exhaust system maximizes this effect across a wide RPM range, efficiently evacuating spent exhaust gases using a precisely tuned and shaped exhaust system."

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
No. A lot of people think a certain amount of backpressure is needed for torque; this is not true. You want the least amount of backpressure for maximum torque. Less restriction = less backpressure = more torque.

An exhaust that's too large can be just as bad as one that's too small. A properly tuned system will help scavenge the exhaust gasses in the most efficient manner possible.

From a Road & Track article: "Basically, when people claim that a certain amount of backpressure is beneficial, they're mixing up backpressure and scavenging. The latter is a phenomenon where the movement of gases through the exhaust system creates a partial vacuum that can actually suck the exhaust out of the cylinder. A properly-designed exhaust system maximizes this effect across a wide RPM range, efficiently evacuating spent exhaust gases using a precisely tuned and shaped exhaust system."

To build off this, basically, the faster the exhaust escapes, the better. The issue with changing pipe sizes and adding/removing parts is that it can create turbulence. So instead of the exhaust gases pouring straight out, its now bouncing up and down with the pipes which reduces escape velocity etc etc back to work now

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d love to regear but I know I’d need to regear the front as well and I assume the cost of regearing the front and rear would be crazy expensive.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Not as much as that 27 foot travel trailer......LoL