My 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Runs great until it don't , Help !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey everybody and thanks for reading this. Hope this is in the right place ? Anyway my truck starts and runs fine , It does have some 02 sensor codes but nothing that should do what my crazy truck is doing. Like I said it starts and runs fine cold until I get about 1/2 a mile down the road. Then the truck starts backfiring and stumbling like crazy. it won't even accelerate much. I have two options when it does that , 1 keep feathering the pedal and it will finally take off ,2 shut the truck off and start it back up. number 2 makes it run fine again until I set for a min or so at a stop light. the idle will go up about 200 rpms before it starts acting up and then bad. I am not getting any throttle body codes or any misfare codes at all. Any advice would really be appreciated. Love my truck but this is driving me crazy.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm no mechanic just guessing but the computer is using 02 sensors to adjust fuel mixture (like we use to manually do with adjusting choke) so perhaps you need to replace 02 sensors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Thanks for the reply , I have changed the 02 sensors twice now and still get the same darn codes. Starting to think it may be the computers

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What was the exact code or codes? Was it only the 156?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How is it doing on long trips, is most of this happening on short trips? Do you run 91 gas? I would do so til you figure this out. Was there anything on the o2 sensor when you changed them?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Think of your engine like a fireplace, if the fire place is big and wood is clean and in taking a lot of air, there will be way less creosote. But if the fireplace isnt burning hot, is low on air, using bad wet wood, or a few other poor conditions then the fire place will smoke more and leave a film over the insider of stove pipe, The same thing happens in an engine, if it is out of tune, not getting good clean air flow, poor quality gas, bad spark, bad pcv, too much carbon build up, etc etc etc, the o2 sensor will likely be one of the first symptoms to alert you that something isnt working efficient, especially if you replaced them and it happens again. So the other option would be a bad wire for o2 sensor, and there are codes for that.

OP
OP
J

JoeMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Lets see I have the 0032 and the 1129 I beleive. loop fueling and the other is for heater circut if memory serves me correctly. The 02 sensors looked good and showed no gunk on them at all. The problem happens like clockwork. I know when it's going to act up before it does it. On the highway it runs great and the only time it gives me a fit after the initial 1/2 mile is when I sit for a while at a stop in or out of gear.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you get a heater circuit code even after a long trip? This happens after a long trip if you are at a stop light? You need to test all the wires at the plug with a multi meter, you don't need the engine running, just turn key to on.

OP
OP
J

JoeMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
I looked at the the plugs on the PCM on the cowl and the plugs look okay , I will try to trace the wiring on the 02 sensors but I made sure they were plugged in and the connections looked good. I know the 02 sensor codes are leading from another problem , I just don't know where to start. Would the throttle body give me that kind of fit without sending a code ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You have a laizsez faire way for a specific problem, you need to be way more specific with codes and info if you want a more helpful response. They put a heater wire in for a specific reason to heat the o2 sensor when cold, so the question is did that code happen at the end of a trip when it is warm? Do you use a multi tester for positive and do you read ground loops as well? My humble suggestion is to rule out actual damage to the o2 sensor system wires and sensors before going downstream, especially since you said they are clean. With the key turned to on, you can test each plug wire, wont take you but thirty minutes if you have the right multi reader. Since you have multiple fails, my guess could be bad ground. Easy to test, with engine turned to on a small steady amount of jiuce should read on the reader.

What else can he do ram forum to test that system that might be an easier way to skin that cat? I only know that way.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
@Burla, is on point. Regardless of O2 sensor newness, not testing wires is really just throwing parts at the problem.

O2 sensors on our rams are sensitive and anything but ma mopar is hit or miss, especially if the sensor may not be the problem.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Come to think of it, you can test all of the sensors that failed as well, if they were clean like you said, you can even clean them more, but if you have the old ones, in theory you can see if they were fried from a bad ground. Since other sensors have "failed". this could lead you in the right direction, especially if you know what sensor was in which plug.

OP
OP
J

JoeMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
I appreciate your insite and yes I have changed them from the first set I installed. The exhaust was completely missing from my truck when I bought it so the first set came from EBAY , Yea right , So I figured China crap , so I went to Oreilly's auto parts and bought some that says made in America. ?? Who know for sure but it has the same codes as the first set except now it has the 0032 code as soon as the ignition is turned on. The truck did this problem every once in a while at first but has gotten steadly worse now. I can go check all the codes again to be sure .

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I appreciate your insite and yes I have changed them from the first set I installed. The exhaust was completely missing from my truck when I bought it so the first set came from EBAY , Yea right , So I figured China crap , so I went to Oreilly's auto parts and bought some that says made in America. ?? Who know for sure but it has the same codes as the first set except now it has the 0032 code as soon as the ignition is turned on. The truck did this problem every once in a while at first but has gotten steadly worse now. I can go check all the codes again to be sure .
It's pretty common for aftermarket 02's to throw codes,even if they're made in the States.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I believe our Rams are picky when it comes to sensors, OE is always recommended.

OP
OP
J

JoeMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
You may be right because I am getting P0032 and P0132 , P0152 , 1129 , and 1128 . All 02 sensor codes as far as I can tell.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just sayin it could be a partly or full pugged cat! Just saying