My 2013 Ram 1500, break vaccume pump. 5.7 location!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, whats up people. So to start as this is my first post. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Big Horn 5.7 and only 70k miles.. I got 13 bar (measurement of vaccume coming from the motor, should be 18-22. 18 being minimum) coming from my trucks vaccume making my breaks hard. Diagnosis after hours of my time doing all the break systems diagnostic (done by my self as a 12 yr mechanic) its the fact that the vaccume pump is failing. The only issue is that i cant find the damn thing!! The shop manual (not owners manual) I have has 4 freaking sentences with no photos about it (remove air box, remove plug, remove bolts- repeat for instal). Nothing on Google or youtube or any form I could find at all. Called dodge afte 4 techs got a master tech and f****** still got an "im not sure". The whole damn interwebs has nothing I can find. I need to know where it is located because unless its directly on the back of the motor or under the manifold i cant find it. Also I vin checked not only my truck but the motor its self and it is there somewhere. As well as the electrical is wired for it threw me going threw the diagrams as well. Can someone please help me find the damn thing. Thanks guys! Because shy of me tearing the motor down or stripping off all of the wire loom on the whole harness and tracing 2 wires, I got nothing. Thanks in advance for any help. I will be posting on youtube once I find it for any other guys that are having the same issue.

P.s. the timing is perfect for anyone that knows that could be the cause. Lol

20190509_114048~2.jpg

20190514_165712~2.jpg

Screenshot_2019-05-14-22-05-33~2.png

Last edited:

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don’t know of any vacuum pump being on these trucks other than the engine itself creating vacuum for the brake booster that your master cylinder is bolted to. You might have a dry rotted vacuum line going there or a leak in the brake booster and that would make the brakes more like manual brakes than your normal vacuum assisted brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi J

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, not the motor vaccume line or the break booster check valve. (brand new line to motor too (replace all lines with the pump while im at it). Im attaching a pic of the pump so you guys can see what i habe to replace.

15578976423093889543520407688228.jpg

15578976806228015237873155843862.jpg

15578977041196819559997633096849.jpg

OP
OP
Hemi J

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the details in the shop manual... Real f***** helpful.

20190514_225500.jpg

OP
OP
Hemi J

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Proof of one the new lines from the intake vaccume (motor vaccume line) to the check valve at the break booster (break booster tested good in all specks as well as the chek valve for all the people that will say something)

20190514_231307.jpg

OP
OP
Hemi J

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@crash68 nope just figured it would pop up. Lmao. Jk. Yes i literally have checked everywhere that does not require disassembly of the motor or wire harness. To reiterate... Im a professional mechanic. Its not a gurage guy thats confused... It is a 12yr mechanic and aparently the master tech at Dodge dealer as well. So the basic stuff has been done and checked. Including the odd **** Fiat would come up with because of the switch. I will tear her back down tomorrow after im off around 1700 PST so i can show both sides, under, behind... Becuase i figured i would get a bunch of basic responces with it being a buch of cool dodge guys. So ttrying to weed all that out and get to my actual question. Where is it located? Thanks again for all responces so far. Appreciate it and your tine guys!!!!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Hemi J have the tech at the Dodge dealer look up the pump location and/or wiring harness on WiTech. He can print out a 3D image of the how the wiring harness is routes through the vehicle.

OP
OP
Hemi J

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was my go to idea!!!! But when i tried, it only shows the parts list to order related to the break system. No location avalible. Thats why im reaching out. Good idea though! @crash68

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can not speak to where the pump is, but.... On the other Dodge truck forum there were some relating "how bad the Dodge truck brakes were" and the fix was to put the Eco Diesel vacuum pump on a gas engine truck and end up with a increase in braking performance. At the time I was running a 03 Q-cab 5.7 SLT. Never thought the brakes were "that bad" (and still don't). I wonder if I can find that info again?

T.

OP
OP
Hemi J

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is the diagram for the parts from mopar (Dodge Dealer) other than this they cant find anything as far as a visual or schematic. I have the shop manual for the truck, so I could trace the damn wires from the fuse box to the unit. But i would have to cut all the wire loom amd separate out every sensor-switch-or any other wire that is linked in the harnes. And the F*** if i want to do that. Its not a mater of being unable to find it (if i tear the truck apart) im trying to avoid all that if anyone can chime in with where it actual is located.. Thats all I need. Ill say it again for the 5th time. I ONLY NEED TO SEE IF ANY OF YOU GUYS KNOW WHERE THE AIR/VACCUME PUMP IS LOCATED. Thanks to all and I appreciate every bit of input from anyone wanting to take the time. But I know thats the issue... I know how to fix my truck... I DONT know where the little fuc*** is-neither does dodge apparently. Thanks guys!

Capture+_2019-05-15-01-13-12~2.png

OP
OP
Hemi J

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@TigreST if i dont get an answer to resolve it, I will end up tearing into the wire harness and tracing the wires and redoing the whole harness. Although i will find the damn thing so mission accomplished. I just dont want to spend an extra 7-10hrs labor if someome has the location. I will also be posting pics and vids to this forum, youtube, and mopar direct as well as the manager at my local dealer of where it is and how to change it so no one else has to deal with it like I am. Im the first I swear. Lmao. Thanks again for the comment @TigreST

OP
OP
Hemi J

Hemi J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@TigreST thats is it seens!!!. Because if you look at the pump its self it has a flange on the outlet. So there is a clip style atachment. (Like a click fuel line on the fuel pump) and that does look just like it. But looks like the engine cover and a few other things that it should be easy. But its non existent on mine. Good loooking though @TigreST

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Im not sure of the model year but here is a picture that most likely will not help.

13950d1459603475-vacuum-pump-failure-img_2348.jpg

That I believe is a pic how it's installed in an EcoDiesel. The silver thing on the right side of the pic sure looks like part of the intercooler piping. I know the vacuum pump sticks out in front of the EcoD engine like that too.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Hemi J,
I going out on a limb here, but it is my suspicion that your truck, which you said has 5.7hemi, does not have a separate vacuum pump.
The new vacuum pump you have, is most likely meant for a truck with an eco-diesel engine.

The manual you are using most likely mentions the vacuum pump because it covers all of the engine options for the 1500.

I have a 2012 big horn 1500, with the 5.7, and there is no electric vacuum pump. The only source of vacuum, is the engine itself. I know they changed a few things for the 13+ model years, but I believe they were mostly cosmetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
To make matters interesting, according to my Dodge mechanic buddy, the 3.6l engine in the Ram(and other FCA vehicles) uses the vacuum pump, the 5.7l Hemi doesn't.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it had a vacuum pump to control the brake booster you would just follow the vacuum line off the booster to the pump... the hemi has no vacuum pump. The line is attached to the intake manifold. If you are experiencing low vacuum pressure you may have other issues.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgive if this has been done/ tried but, would a parts search under the VIN not prove if the truck had a pump?

In my google-ing, it was mentioned that all kinds systems are run off/from the vacuum system, like your climate control etc, not just the power brakes. As you state, 18” in the normal vacuum spec to keep those systems normal.

This is a real poser !

T.

Last edited: