My Cummins 6.7 Oil Is Now Staying a Whole Lot Cleaner Since Gearing Down Around Town

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
My Cummins 6.7 oil is now staying a whole lot cleaner, and for longer, ever since I've been gearing down around town. A lot of the town is only 25 mph, and the Aisin trans will go into 4th or even 5th gear, with a much too low engine rpm. So, as advised by the lead Cummins tech at my dealership, whenever I set out, I tap down on the gear limit toggle, to keep it in 3rd gear. He said that oil getting gritty very quickly is a common issue and that it can even lead to noise coming from the engine, and damage. I'm sure glad I took his advice.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
How can you tell it's staying cleaner? Did you have it analyzed before and after?
I call BS to the advice.
By the color and feel. No longer black & gritty. I have 3,000 miles on the oil and it's still opaque/ transparent on the dip stick. And, I do a lot of around town, 25 mph driving. I keep it in 3rd gear, about 1,500 rpm. I have 410 gears.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On the 2 CTD’s I’ve owned, 99’ and 11’, the oil in both of those trucks was blacker than night! I find it hard to believe any CTD has oil color other than black.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
By the color and feel. No longer black & gritty. I have 3,000 miles on the oil and it's still opaque/ transparent on the dip stick. And, I do a lot of around town, 25 mph driving. I keep it in 3rd gear, about 1,500 rpm. I have 410 gears.

In the 15.5 years of owing a 5.9 along with 8 months with my new 22, 6.7 I have never had the oil feel gritty on the dip stick when checking the oil....

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
In the 15.5 years of owing a 5.9 along with 8 months with my new 22, 6.7 I have never had the oil feel gritty on the dip stick when checking the oil....
You must be "gearing down around town" like the OP suggests.
Great Job!

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only positive thing I can see in the OP comment is you should have a clean DFP filter. Keeping those RPM’s up will burn anything off in the chamber.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I operated heavy equipment & we also had trucks as large as any semi, almost everything had a Diesel Engine.

The Shop & Field Mechanics all said to operate a diesel like you were mad at it
In other words keep the RPMs up & shift every transmission like it was a Manual Shift.

When you have a loaded trailer, manually start off in 2nd gear, unless you have a full load & starting out on an steeper uphill Grade, then start out in 1st.
Once you begin moving at the speed of a fast walk, shift up another gear, once you are traveling at 15 or 20 MPH, you can shift into Drive.

If you are just driving the pickup, then you can start off in Drive

Keep your RPMs up & use the transmission to do it
Your Engines will last a lot longer
Lug a diesel down & you can expect a damaged engine, sooner than normal

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I operated heavy equipment & we also had trucks as large as any semi, almost everything had a Diesel Engine.

The Shop & Field Mechanics all said to operate a diesel like you were mad at it
In other words keep the RPMs up & shift every transmission like it was a Manual Shift.

When you have a loaded trailer, manually start off in 2nd gear, unless you have a full load & starting out on an steeper uphill Grade, then start out in 1st.
Once you begin moving at the speed of a fast walk, shift up another gear, once you are traveling at 15 or 20 MPH, you can shift into Drive.

If you are just driving the pickup, then you can start off in Drive

Keep your RPMs up & use the transmission to do it
Your Engines will last a lot longer
Lug a diesel down & you can expect a damaged engine, sooner than normal
This concurs with what the lead Cummins Tech told me.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you can feel grit in your oil you have major problems.
My oil is also nice and clear until I drive for a few minutes.;)