My Dodge Dealership just called, Ecodiesel Recall Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Ecodiesel Fuel Pump, that has been on Recall List for 5 years.
Is at the Dealership Parts Dept.

I have an appointment for next week, on Thursday morning.
They have their Courtesy Van Service running again, so i will have a ride home & then they will pick me up when the work is done !!

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Congratulations, you won the recall parts lottery...

I had mine replaced earlier in the year. Does anyone know what (if anything) was changed in the CP4?

I was worried that they might reduce pump pressures to reduce cavitation. Haven't seen any driveability or MPG reduction since the replacement. Managed 28+ MPG on a 500 mile run down to Louisville and back with winter diesel. That's pretty much normal for the truck. I keep it at 70 or lower to keep the wind resistance down.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's pretty good mpg. Is your tk a CC or QC? Have you ever hand-calculated the mileage you get day-to-day ...for several tankfuls? I'd love to know what that comes out to be?

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
That's pretty good mpg. Is your tk a CC or QC? Have you ever hand-calculated the mileage you get day-to-day ...for several tankfuls? I'd love to know what that comes out to be?
That's a yes - the 28 was hand calculated and included some in town driving in Louisville and Indy. I only use the truck for 30mi or more trips or must haves (hauling lumber, firewood, etc). As others on the forum have said, wind resistance is the biggest enemy. On long road trips I can average 29 as long as I keep the speed down or find a big rig to run aero block for me.

Truck is a Limited CC 4x4 3.92 rear with the off road package. I hits the scales @6240 lbs. Doesn't leave much room for payload.

My EVIC vs hand calculation is actually very close. Over a one year period EVIC averaged 23.84 while hand calculated was 23.19 MPG. Much of this included towing (my kids like to move around to keep me entertained). I had stopped hand calculating until the pump was replaced. The run down south was the 1st full tank since the HPFP replacement. So far I'm cautiously optimistic with the replacement. When I get 100K on the pump, I'll know whether I'm happy.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. That's quite a bit better than my tk's 16.8! :oops:

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thanks. That's quite a bit better than my tk's 16.8! :oops:
Actually, that sounds rather good for a 1500 with the Hemi. My daily driver ('06 Chrysler 300) averages about 17.7 and you have at least 1500 lbs on me. That's a pretty good trade given the utility you get with the 1500.

I bought my ram for occasional towing/hauling, but mostly for road trips. The Chrysler was getting a little long in the tooth, and the truck is more comfortable.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, ...that's about what trucks get, like you say, not awful. Plus being 4x4. I make up for it on longer drives with a Jetta diesel. I've 'thought' about maybe getting a diesel Ram. But having the Jetta, I also know diesel fuel (around here anyway) is more expensive, by a fair amt. So you gain a bit, you give a little, right?

The math on your truck works out given that diesel is ~28% more efficient. Is yours 4x4 or 2wd? Get er rust-proofed (and oil in the box frame cause the bottoms will eventually rot out!), and she'll last you a long time :waytogo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The newer ecodiesels get better mileage than 2nd Gen 3.0s

When i ordered my 2016 ecodiesel, they were advertising 27 mpg.
It arrived on January 16, 2016. 90 days after it was ordered

Within 3 weeks, i took it to an Auto Body Shop
I had the Chrome Bumpers removed & ordered the Sport Bumpers & a different Grille. Mean while, the shop stripped the Burgundy, ( Delmonico Red ), factory paint job from the Ram & they repainted it Sunburst Orange Pearl.

I drove it across country to Connecticut, the EVIC reading was 27 mpg
When i had returned to California, the EPA told FCA, that because FCA did not file ALL of the Proper Paperwork, they were going to be penalized & the Ram's software had to be rewritten, so that the 3.0s MPG had to be reduced.
After taking the Ram into the Dealership, the MPGs dropped to 22 MPG
After quite some time, the EPA realized, ( after being sued by the owners of the 3.0, ) .
That the reduction in MPG only hurt the Owners of the 3.0 & they told FCA that the 3.0 MPG could be increased.
It was increased to 25 MPG & all the Owners were given a nice Check.
By the way, FCA had re-submitted all the PROPER Paperwork & EPA said it was too late.

When the 3rd Gen Ecodiesels came out, the MPG jumped to around 29 MPG

It was the EPA being the butt wipes, they just do what ever they want, just to flex their egos

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yeah, ...that's about what trucks get, like you say, not awful. Plus being 4x4. I make up for it on longer drives with a Jetta diesel. I've 'thought' about maybe getting a diesel Ram. But having the Jetta, I also know diesel fuel (around here anyway) is more expensive, by a fair amt. So you gain a bit, you give a little, right?

The math on your truck works out given that diesel is ~28% more efficient. Is yours 4x4 or 2wd? Get er rust-proofed (and oil in the box frame cause the bottoms will eventually rot out!), and she'll last you a long time :waytogo:
My .02 would be to run both until they are gone. The EcoDiesel cost me $3000 above the Hemi. When I ran the numbers back in 2020, my break even point was 60K Mi (assuming 16/24 MPG for he Hemi/Eco). With current prices for 89 and diesel around here ($3.82/$3.85) my break even is 40K Mi (I'm past that).

The problem is, I am WAAAAY more picky on who I buy diesel from - that drives my cost up. I can also use 87 octane in the 300 if I need to. Unless you put on a lot of miles, it's tough to justify the Eco based on fuel savings alone. The truck suits me well, but I'm retired and probably not the normal customer.

The truck is 4x4 with the Off Road package and Rambox. The Off Road package is the only option that I would now question. I've used the additional lift a few times on vacation and the skid plates once in CO. The skid plates probably saved my A$$, but honestly - if I didn't have the off-road package I wouldn't have been on that trail. Bottom line, it's a weight penalty that cuts into my already slim payload.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

I had the Chrome Bumpers removed & ordered the Sport Bumpers & a different Grille. Mean while, the shop stripped the Burgundy, ( Delmonico Red ), factory paint job from the Ram & they repainted it Sunburst Orange Pearl.

When i had returned to California, the EPA told FCA, that because FCA did not file ALL of the Proper Paperwork, they were going to be penalized & the Ram's software had to be rewritten, so that the 3.0s MPG had to be reduced.
After quite some time, the EPA realized, ( after being sued by the owners of the 3.0, ) .
That the reduction in MPG only hurt the Owners of the 3.0 & they told FCA that the 3.0 MPG could be increased.
By the way, FCA had re-submitted all the PROPER Paperwork & EPA said it was too late.

It was the EPA being the butt wipes, they just do what ever they want, just to flex their egos
Stories like yours are EXACTLY why I'm checking mileage after the pump replacement. My last tank got me 24.0 MPG in mixed driving. The previous 2500 miles shows 24.4 MPG. It's Indiana so when we say "in town" we mean we hit all 10 traffic lights while driving 15 miles. If there are more than 4 cars in front of me at a light, we call it Rush Hour and start using bad words.

So, question - If you hadn't gotten yanked around, would you still recommend the EcoDiesel?

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In my opinion,
the engine that gives the best MPG & breaks down the least, is the best engine.

My Ram Ecodiesel has not given me a bit of trouble.

I have received 2 Recalls, the first one did not take long at all
This 2nd recall came out, almost 2 years before the company that makes the Fuel Pumps had started sending them out for Sold Vehicles, they made the first pumps & they went directly to the Assembly Lines.

The only complaint that i have is with the Federal EPA, when they had FCA cut back on the MPG
I was using my Ram as a business back then, there were times that i was driving 3,000 miles a week & that was just work miles

In the Future, IF the Ram is not in an accident, or starts to nickel & dime me with repairs, I will drop another EcoDiesel engine in it

Last edited:

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Since I have virtually the same vehicle as 20Indyram, I'm truly amazed at his fuel economy.
My Ecodiesel has 65,000 miles on it and my pump was replaced about 4000 miles ago. I haven't
noticed any difference in fuel economy since, but I have never been able to get over 26 mpg on a consistent basis unless I'm at high altitudes and keep my speed under 70. I consistently average
over 22 mpg with 90% city driving but I admit on the highway to run the speed limit often 75mph here in Texas and the best I can do is between 25 and 26. Not unhappy with those numbers because
I know they are better than a Hemi but I guess to achieve better highway mileage I need to slow down. Just my comments.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Since I have virtually the same vehicle as 20Indyram, I'm truly amazed at his fuel economy.
My Ecodiesel has 65,000 miles on it and my pump was replaced about 4000 miles ago. I haven't
noticed any difference in fuel economy since, but I have never been able to get over 26 mpg on a consistent basis unless I'm at high altitudes and keep my speed under 70. I consistently average
over 22 mpg with 90% city driving but I admit on the highway to run the speed limit often 75mph here in Texas and the best I can do is between 25 and 26. Not unhappy with those numbers because
I know they are better than a Hemi but I guess to achieve better highway mileage I need to slow down. Just my comments.
@jimboschnitz - I'm happy to hear that's you haven't seen a change in your economy since the HPFP replacement.

If you are getting 22 mpg @90% city, I'd say you're doing well. I'm getting a bit over 24 in combined driving in Northern Indiana. As I indicated above, I have far less "City" than you probably have.

Your last statement speaks the truth - If you want better mileage you need to slow down. Ram's are akin to driving a brick into the wind. The difference between 70 and 75 could easily be 10%. Don't forget wind speed. Traffic on the highway is normally your friend for fuel economy (as long as it's moving steadily). A stream of traffic will reduce the aero load on the brick that you're driving. Big rigs are better. They drive at a consistent speed, provide a huge aero block, and (my favorite) don't ride the bake at 75 mph.

I've spent a fair amount of time in your state. Your speed limits are higher than Indiana. I have also spent many years diving in Michigan (100 yards from my house). I'm accustomed to winding 2 lanes, gravel, and single lane dirt roads.

What caught me off guard was a paved 2-lane somewhere around Midland. Driving my Chry 300 at night with a posted limit of 70 (not an issue). Then I saw a sign that said "pavement ends". It did not lie. The 300 did not like the gravel. I had to slow to 50.

And my Chrysler gets FAR worse mileage than the EcoDiesel.

Scotty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 21 has a best of 29 on a 500 mile trip , Laramie Longhorn with 3:92 4x4 all stock with bed cover tonaue (sp) the best number I have ever seen is 31.1 with a nice tail wind, I agree the truck is extremely aero sensitive, around Phoenix it gets 23/24 most of the time, No issues with the truck , been in for 2 recalls for proximity sensor and rear facing camera only.

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque

Can you post a few pics of the truck in that color?

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Ram on the left, is the 2016, it is Maroon, FCA calls it
Delmonico Red Pearl Coat.
I would have never ordered a vehicle in the color, i only saw a 1/2 inch square & the salesman kept telling me it was RED

1715709552567.png

1715709714234.png

after the bumper change & the repaint

1715755096213.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKJeeper