My fault!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was backing out of the garage and before I could stop, my driver's side mirror made contact with the door jam. It was a light contact, but the plastic flexed enough to create several hairline cracks in the mirror! The housing is fine, but I need to replace the mirror. I ordered a replacement from my parts guy, but don't know if it is something I should attempt or let my go-to crew at the dealership tackle. I was told it would only be 3/10 of an hour for labor. My concern is that having never having done it, I don't want to break the new part installing it or doing more damage removing the broken part,

I've searched for instructions on replacing the mirror, but haven't had much luck. Is this something a guy who apparently has difficulty backing out of a garage can do?

Thanks!

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you talking just the glass needs to be replaced? If that's the case - tilt your mirror all the way down, slide your fingers in at the top and pull it downwards. There are 2 clips at the top that hold it in place - the bottom has a set of grooves that the glass slips into (so you need to unclip from the top). Easy, and it literally will only take you 5 minutes to do

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you talking just the glass needs to be replaced? If that's the case - tilt your mirror all the way down, slide your fingers in at the top and pull it downwards. There are 2 clips at the top that hold it in place - the bottom has a set of grooves that the glass slips into (so you need to unclip from the top). Easy, and it literally will only take you 5 minutes to do

That is exactly what the guys at the dealership said. Unfortunately, when the housing flexed, it must have "torqued" the adjuster mechanism behind the mounting plate. When I pulled the mirror off, the mechanism came apart too! :-(

I now have a complete mirror assembly coming as the only individual part available from FCA is the mirror glass. Since the housing flexed, there is a crack on the underside that I didn't see originally. Tomorrow, I'll take off the whole mirror assembly and replace it with the new one.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Now I just need a wider garage opening! :naughty:

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's funny, because when I bought my truck, it had tow mirrors on it. Told the dealership I wanted power folds so I could fit in the garage, but being a 2014 - they only offered the sport power folds. So now I have the PF mirrors, but they are small enough that I don't actually fold them in. Doh! Although, its kind of nice because I do need to use my mirror when parking due to the fact that I pull into the garage at an angle - so I need to keep a close eye on my box side when I'm straightening out in the garage. Good luck on putting the replacement on - doesn't sound too bad to do.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
the day before I missed the side wall in the garage by that much, well ok 1/2 inch. Thankfully I have powered mirrors to avoid your situation.

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just picked up the new mirror from the dealership. It took less than an hour to remove the door panel and mirror, drive to the dealership(8 blocks) and install the new mirror. My "baby" is happy again! :)

Thanks again to all who offered advice or posted info that helped.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just picked up the new mirror from the dealership. It took less than an hour to remove the door panel and mirror, drive to the dealership(8 blocks) and install the new mirror. My "baby" is happy again! :)

Thanks again to all who offered advice or posted info that helped.

Had my passenger mirror replaced yesterday (would not move inwards on first attempt) and I am guessing it took them 45 minutes. Like you I am good to go now:favorites13: Oh 4 miles from dealer, must be nice to be so close re 8 blocks.

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Had my passenger mirror replaced yesterday (would not move inwards on first attempt) and I am guessing it took them 45 minutes. Like you I am good to go now:favorites13: Oh 4 miles from dealer, must be nice to be so close re 8 blocks.

Many times I'll walk home when I drop the truck or van for service. They always offer me a loaner, but I enjoy the walk. The wife likes it when I come home rather than walk the lot. It becomes too tempting when I "kick tires!" There have been several times when I come home with a different vehicle! :roflsquared:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Many times I'll walk home when I drop the truck or van for service. They always offer me a loaner, but I enjoy the walk. The wife likes it when I come home rather than walk the lot. It becomes too tempting when I "kick tires!" There have been several times when I come home with a different vehicle! :roflsquared:

yikes I have a twin out there, you. I could get a ride home as well but I prefer to walk the lot. I can think of at least a half a dozen times where I have walked the lot and yes indeedie came home with something new. The last one is the new R/T, took the Sport in for an oil change and bam new truck.

They gave me the credit for the oil change, well I asked for the credit. To funny.:favorites13: