What should my next oil change be for my 5.7 HEMI without Oil Cooler in my 2016 RAM 1500?

• Just Castrol EDGE 0W-40

• Just Mobil 1 FS 0W-40

• 21 oz. Lubegard Bio/Tech + Castrol EDGE 0W-40

• 21 oz. Lubegard Bio/Tech + Mobil 1 FS 0W-40

• Just get some Red Line Oil 5W-30

• Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20 (factory spec)

• Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Not a thing but because it gets marketed by "independent dealers" the unique distribution model somehow generates its own mysticism about the product.

Very well said! Though I have 4 gallons of AMSOIL LV ATF to change it out in my truck. I'm just getting some more "spending money on toys" money together to also buy one of these aluminum drain pans:

https://www.xtremediesel.com/ppe-zf...4ZQ9oN9q9EDddK8Siz7SBkH-5Zh4e0BMaAq01EALw_wcB

AMSOIL LV ATF seemed like a steal compared to ZF8 Lifeguard fluid, and it's more likely a better product.

The motor oil though doesn't make much sense for my applications. With two soot generating GDI motors and a HEMI that I have to baby if I want to keep it in good health, I don't see myself doing extended OCIs any time soon.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Very well said! Though I have 4 gallons of AMSOIL LV ATF to change it out in my truck. I'm just getting some more "spending money on toys" money together to also buy one of these aluminum drain pans:

https://www.xtremediesel.com/ppe-zf...4ZQ9oN9q9EDddK8Siz7SBkH-5Zh4e0BMaAq01EALw_wcB

AMSOIL LV ATF seemed like a steal compared to ZF8 Lifeguard fluid, and it's more likely a better product.

Yea don't count on that all that much,lol. The high end tuners are running into slip with the 8 speeds on higher horse toys,using the aftermarket fluids and are reconmending to stick with the gold plated ZF fluid.You're call and you're transmission,but i'll warn you,the 8 speeds aren't cheap,i speak from s'perience,lol

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Yea don't count on that all that much,lol. The high end tuners are running into slip with the 8 speeds on higher horse toys,using the aftermarket fluids and are reconmending to stick with the gold plated ZF fluid.You're call and you're transmission,but i'll warn you,the 8 speeds aren't cheap,i speak from s'perience,lol

Thanks for the info, I'll stick to the ZF8 Lifeguard fluid then. I wonder I should at least use the AMSOIL tranny fluid in our Hyundais. The OEM fluid for Hyundai is just about as expensive as Lifeguard 8 fluid. What do you think?

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
What's special about Amsoil?

Well, you seem concerned about your oil and additives.

Amsoil is accepted as a top quality synthetic oil with robust additives and lubrication excellence, yet your choice's are typical off the shelf brands with the exception of Redline. I was just curious.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm about to change my oil and I wanted to ask you guys what you think my next oil change should be. I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Big Horn with 3.21 rears, and a 5.7 HEMI that doesn't have a factory oil cooler. I live and drive in a hot climate and sometimes I drive even further south.

Keep in mind that Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 has tons of AW additives and Calcium and 80ppm of moly, so there might be some additive clash with Lubegard. Never the less, I wanted to put that option in there. Castrol EDGE has no Moly at all though. Per the recommended dosage, Lubegard adds 200ppm of Moly to any motor oil that doesn't have any Moly at all.

I also threw in RGT because it's formulated differently than PUP and has more Moly than PUP. PP and PUP are ideal for smaller vehicles, and though some use them in the RAM 1500, personally I don't think they're the best choice.

The calcium based additives have been linked to LSPI (low speed pre ignition) damage and exacerbated sludge/carbon deposits. This has been addressed by the advent of the relatively new API rating of SN+ oil. One benefit of the CVT automatic transmissions found in many vehicles is also a reduction of LSPI. The RAM trucks do not use this type of transmission. The SN+ oils incorporate nitrogen based additives to address this issue. Be very choosy as to which additive you use. I use and recommend BG MOA 115 which has the protection we seek for our engines with new nitrogen based additive.