My nightmare experience with BAK Industries BakFlip MX4 hard folding cover for 6’4” bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
What's the 3rd party's refund/return policy?
Or did they just take your money and leave it up to you to deal with this?
I'd cancel the whole mess at this point & go after whoever took the money.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the story continues.... took a bad turn.

So I was told a full kit replacement would be sent to me, I was told this on 05/14/21 that the new full kit would ship on or before 5/21/21. So that was last Friday. No shipping email, nothing. Monday comes around, still nothing. Tuesday I call and I am told that there was delays getting materials to build the cover (yea... ok!) and that it was already done and shipping on Tuesday, I would get it Wednesday. So Wednesday comes and goes and no cover, the tracking number they provided says FedEx never received the package. So I call on Wednesday and they tell me “oh sorry that was picked up by FedEx today and their site should update by 6pm tonight, you should get the cover by 8pm tomorrow”.

Well today came, tracking number still says waiting on package, nothing arrived, so I call them and NOW they are telling me they built the cover and FedEx picked it up, FedEx is saying they don’t know where the cover is and can’t find it.

SO NOW... I have to wait for BAK Industries to build/manufacture ANOTHER cover, the third one, and that will most likely take 7-10 days just like the previous one.

This is completely insane and at this point if I hadn’t gone through a 3rd party vendor, I’d be demanding a full return and refund and I’d be going with a completely different cover and company. I’m fed up with being lied to about shipping dates, and “oh it shipped you’ll have it tomorrow”. I am have difficulty believing that FedEx just lost the package. My best guess is they have paid orders ahead of mine to fill and they just forgot to make my replacement cover and now that I am calling and making a big deal about it they are finally going to get to it.

This company went from A+ customer service to a complete F. What a failure and I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a cover. I guarantee I will have issues with the replacement, I’ve already accepted that fact, and if I do, I’m just going to throw it all away and buy from another brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain man, I was in the same boat, ready to toss in the towel on my cover last year but since that cover was what I really wanted and couldn’t find anything else that would suffice, I was at the mercy of damaged freight from FedEx until the shipper just got some whole other company involved.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What's the 3rd party's refund/return policy?
Or did they just take your money and leave it up to you to deal with this?
I'd cancel the whole mess at this point & go after whoever took the money.

Well I ordered it through Nick @ Got Exhaust, however he did not have any in stock so he routed the order to a 3rd party vendor... so technically the cover is 3 company’s deep at this point, Vendor > GotExhaust > BAK Industries

It seems like it would be a massive headache and I feel I’d be on the hook for return shipping so I’m going to wait for the replacement and if I have issues with that then I’m going to start a return.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hope the 3rd party wasn't CARid.
I had to open a dispute with Visa because they kept stalling me on a refund for a cancelled order.
Took a month before I got my money back.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I will never order anything from BAK Ind. .... when they bought the company from the original owner it started going to **** ....

That is one reason that I went with Gator Covers which is still owned by the founder and original owner of BAK Flip ...

Way too many companies are getting away with ******** like this .... from taking longer than promised on deliveries to completely sending the wrong product and missing parts or damaged ...

I have said this about another company, AlphaRex along with Morimoto, Custom Offsets are simply trending products that have the worst customer service and they do it because people just want to have what everyone else has and just want to be "cool" lol ...

Sorry but not me ... there are certain products that I "WILL" get no matter what the brand is, but once a company screws me over or anyone that I know that is it ... it is "OUR" own fault that this happens to "US" because we keep allowing it and no one does anything about ....

Companies that actually have good products but their customer service, warranty and reputation makes them ones to stay away from are the following:

1. Maxtrac Suspension
  2. BDS Suspension
  3. ALPHAREX
  4. Custom Offsets
  5. BAK Industries
  6. Fuel Wheels
  7. Moto Wheels
  8. Yukon Gears
  9. Banks Power
  10. Diode Dynamics

I have personally dealt with the above companies and had the worst experiences with every single one of them .... There are tons more but the above are the top ones that everyone seems to get their panties wet over ....

If I were you, I would seriously blast BAK Industries on Instagram and every social media platform they are on .... I call BS on having to make the cover lol, I see the covers on other websites in stock ready to ship .... someone screwed up on your order and you probably will never find out who it was, but I would stay away from BAK if I were you guys ...

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will never order anything from BAK Ind. .... when they bought the company from the original owner it started going to **** ....

That is one reason that I went with Gator Covers which is still owned by the founder and original owner of BAK Flip ...

Way too many companies are getting away with ******** like this .... from taking longer than promised on deliveries to completely sending the wrong product and missing parts or damaged ...

I have said this about another company, AlphaRex along with Morimoto, Custom Offsets are simply trending products that have the worst customer service and they do it because people just want to have what everyone else has and just want to be "cool" lol ...

Sorry but not me ... there are certain products that I "WILL" get no matter what the brand is, but once a company screws me over or anyone that I know that is it ... it is "OUR" own fault that this happens to "US" because we keep allowing it and no one does anything about ....

Companies that actually have good products but their customer service, warranty and reputation makes them ones to stay away from are the following:

1. Maxtrac Suspension
  2. BDS Suspension
  3. ALPHAREX
  4. Custom Offsets
  5. BAK Industries
  6. Fuel Wheels
  7. Moto Wheels
  8. Yukon Gears
  9. Banks Power
  10. Diode Dynamics

I have personally dealt with the above companies and had the worst experiences with every single one of them .... There are tons more but the above are the top ones that everyone seems to get their panties wet over ....

If I were you, I would seriously blast BAK Industries on Instagram and every social media platform they are on .... I call BS on having to make the cover lol, I see the covers on other websites in stock ready to ship .... someone screwed up on your order and you probably will never find out who it was, but I would stay away from BAK if I were you guys ...

I’m not sure about the other companies because I’ve never dealt with their customer service but AlphaRex and Custom Offsets customer service were both really great for me. I’ve dealt with AlphaRex’s CS 3-4 times and it was always pleasant and easy. As for Custom Offsets I just ordered wheels and tires from them and everything went smoothly, the wheels arrived 14 days earlier then I was initially told they would and everything was good with them.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I’m not sure about the other companies because I’ve never dealt with their customer service but AlphaRex and Custom Offsets customer service were both really great for me. I’ve dealt with AlphaRex’s CS 3-4 times and it was always pleasant and easy. As for Custom Offsets I just ordered wheels and tires from them and everything went smoothly, the wheels arrived 14 days earlier then I was initially told they would and everything was good with them.

Nice! I have seen nothing but bad videos and posts all over IG about people being told their wheels and tires are delayed lol ...

I was going to order my wheels and tires from them but they changed the price on both the wheels and tires by almost $1400 total than what they had them listed at lol ... on top of that they wanted me to wait 4 months ...yeah ok lol

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm shopping now for a hard tri fold to replace the Leer painted tonneau on my truck and have watched this thread. Main reason for switching is not having to open the cover to lower the tailgate.
Not getting a Bak that's for sure, after clicking on the ad here it took me right to CARid.
I wouldn't buy anything from them after they tried stealing my money. Visa forced a refund out of them.

I was looking at the XCover for $599 on Amazon, put it in my cart and 2 days later price jumped to $629. It's approaching Gator prices, has the same 3yr warranty.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm shopping now for a hard tri fold to replace the Leer painted tonneau on my truck and have watched this thread. Main reason for switching is not having to open the cover to lower the tailgate.
Not getting a Bak that's for sure, after clicking on the ad here it took me right to CARid.
I wouldn't buy anything from them after they tried stealing my money. Visa forced a refund out of them.

I was looking at the XCover for $599 on Amazon, put it in my cart and 2 days later price jumped to $629. It's approaching Gator prices, has the same 3yr warranty.

Have you looked at the Lomax cover, I love mine. You don’t have to open the cover to open and close the tailgate.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I purchased a bak flop lasted less then 1 year and all seals on hinges shrunk on ends allowing water to flow unrestricted, they sent a new one , in another year this one started having fiberglass shards sticking out on every panel, next replacement did the same ****, then thy tell me they will not replace again. They do not have a product that lasts for even one year. Bak flop is garbage in my opinion ,would never recommend to anyone total ****.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad has a Bak flip on his F150 and its solid. That sucks y'all are having such bad luck with them.... I was really considering it for my ram, but looks like I need to think twice about this.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Lomax cover, I love mine. You don’t have to open the cover to open and close the tailgate.
More than I want to spend for a folder.
I can get a hard roll-away for less.
I want to stay under $700, and most hard folders allow tailgate function while closed so that's not an advantage.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a bak flop lasted less then 1 year and all seals on hinges shrunk on ends allowing water to flow unrestricted, they sent a new one , in another year this one started having fiberglass shards sticking out on every panel, next replacement did the same ****, then thy tell me they will not replace again. They do not have a product that lasts for even one year. Bak flop is garbage in my opinion ,would never recommend to anyone total ****.

Lol, back flop…..

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ommmmggggggggg the story continues.

Well BakFlip totally lied to me. They told me the reason I was told it shipped on Tuesday and would be there Wednesday, to then be told it shipped on Wednesday and would be there Thursday, to then be told FedEx picked it up and now they don’t know where it is and can’t find it, it was all a lie.

So I never got any emails or tracking or anything, then Friday evening I get an email from FedEx (I have an account with them) that said they attempted to make a delivery at 5:39pm but the customer did not answer the door and it “was not safe to leave the box” (which is ******** they left the last one) and that they would attempt redelivery NEXT TUESDAY cause of the holiday weekend.

First, no f****ng FedEx driver knocked. I had family sitting 5feet from the door from 2pm til 7pm and I was upstairs so I know they didn’t knock, also we had a MASSIVE rain storm with thunder and lightning at that time. Also no note or slip left at the door. The driver didn’t want to drag the 200+ pound box up to my walkway to my door in heavy heavy downpour so he skipped my house and said I wasn’t home. Not the first time he has done this.

So I call FedEx and they tell me that Bak Industries printed the label on Tuesday but did not hand off the package to FedEx until Thursday night at 6pm. Like seriously? BAK lied to me, FedEx never had the package during my phone calls with them, they either forgot to ship it, or didn’t build it, or I dunno. But they have consistently lied to me during this entire ordeal. Every phone call, I’m told a different thing that unravels into a lie later on.

So now I have to wait until Tuesday for the redelivery and I’m going to be outside working on my truck and I’m going to tell the FedEx guy I reported him for passing my house and lieing, which I did.

So BAK is just lieing up and down about everything and I already know this new cover is going to have issues when I got to install it.

I’m so fed up and tired with this whole ordeal and I don’t even want the cover anymore. I’ve wasted sooooo many hours on this now, attempting to install the bad cover, all the phone calls, photo taking, emails, and stress, it’s unreal.

FU*K BAK Industries.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I ordered a ROUGH COUNTRY cover for 2017 BIG HORN from E-BAY, Everything happened as the tracking implied , I got the cover, and ordered a cross bed box that fits under the cover, I bought a few sticks of metal and built a rail sytem to allow me to roll the box rearward to gain access, works great.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My dad has a Bak flip on his F150 and its solid. That sucks y'all are having such bad luck with them.... I was really considering it for my ram, but looks like I need to think twice about this.
I bought a hard trifold from Walmart under $400, had it in two trucks for about 4 years now, like it better than my Place Edwards hard roll back unit. Looks great still today.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ommmmggggggggg the story continues.

Well BakFlip totally lied to me. They told me the reason I was told it shipped on Tuesday and would be there Wednesday, to then be told it shipped on Wednesday and would be there Thursday, to then be told FedEx picked it up and now they don’t know where it is and can’t find it, it was all a lie.

So I never got any emails or tracking or anything, then Friday evening I get an email from FedEx (I have an account with them) that said they attempted to make a delivery at 5:39pm but the customer did not answer the door and it “was not safe to leave the box” (which is ******** they left the last one) and that they would attempt redelivery NEXT TUESDAY cause o f the holiday weekend.

First, no f****ng FedEx driver knocked. I had family sitting 5feet from the door from 2pm til 7pm and I was upstairs so I know they didn’t knock, also we had a MASSIVE rain storm with thunder and lightning at that time. Also no note or slip left at the door. The driver didn’t want to drag the 200+ pound box up to my walkway to my door in heavy heavy downpour so he skipped my house and said I wasn’t home. Not the first time he has done this.

So I call FedEx and they tell me that Bak Industries printed the label on Tuesday but did not hand off the package to FedEx until Thursday night at 6pm. Like seriously? BAK lied to me, FedEx never had the package during my phone calls with them, they either forgot to ship it, or didn’t build it, or I dunno. But they have consistently lied to me during this entire ordeal. Every phone call, I’m told a different thing that unravels into a lie later on.

So now I have to wait until Tuesday for the redelivery and I’m going to be outside working on my truck and I’m going to tell the FedEx guy I reported him for passing my house and lieing, which I did.

So BAK is just lieing up and down about everything and I already know this new cover is going to have issues when I got to install it.

I’m so fed up and tired with this whole ordeal and I don’t even want the cover anymore. I’ve wasted sooooo many hours on this now, attempting to install the bad cover, all the phone calls, photo taking, emails, and stress, it’s unreal.

FU*K BAK Industries.

Yeah, that's a bunch of ********. Whenever your cover finally shows up, I'd refuse it and start the refund process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@OnSale I hope you actually get a cover Tuesday but I'd be doubtful.
I'd open a dispute with your CC and get them involved. Get your money back ASAP and wash this whole mess down the drain.

I paid with PayPal and I bought it through Nick@GotExhaust so the chargeback would be to him, but he placed the order through a vendor of his, as he did not have any in stock so I feel like that is the wrong move to make but if the cover is not here on Tuesday, I am going to have to start the process of getting my money back one way or another.