My nightmare experience with BAK Industries BakFlip MX4 hard folding cover for 6’4” bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
This is what I would do ... if the box has any damage at all "DO NOT" accept it ... you have every right to not accept a box that is damaged ....

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a hard trifold from Walmart under $400, had it in two trucks for about 4 years now, like it better than my Place Edwards hard roll back unit. Looks great still today.
I believe I remember you saying you got it from Walmart. I will say this Walmart does have some quality stuff.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I believe I remember you saying you got it from Walmart. I will say this Walmart does have some quality stuff.
Hit or miss there, but the top is a home run. I just bought it for an interim cover while I looked for my permanent top. Dry as a bone in there in the heaviest rain.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hit or miss there, but the top is a home run. I just bought it for an interim cover while I looked for my permanent top. Dry as a bone in there in the heaviest rain.
That is what I want.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well boys it looks like the saga of the BakFlip Cover ends here...BAK Industries f**ked up yet again. Wait until you hear this.

So last week when I was told the cover shipped on Tues for a Wed delivery, then told on Wed it shipped for a Thurs delivery and neither happened, when I called them the guy said they gave FedEx the cover but FedEx says they lost it and can not find it and that he would get another one sent out to me ASAP. the guy said for all my troubles and issue that he would send me a BAK Box 2 for free! I didn’t even know what it was and thought “who cares I want my $1000 cover.

So fast forward past the incident last Friday and now today I get a notice of delivery. I open my front door to find this:

43322702a6e867c86918787e5ac3aad7.jpg

They sent me TWO FULL BRAND BEW MX4 COVERS! Cover, Rails and installation hardware!!! What the helllllll!!!!

Look at the one box, yet again, the box is best to hell, both ends WIDE OPEN and unsealed.

3355249811dcbca082a99bbf2f0242e6.jpg
df36f1b728b147caaa0b18fd60e1d2b0.jpg

So I “open” (lol) the one that is already opened and chose to install that one. Install went “ok” and the holes on the cover did not line up with the slots on the rails, although this time around it was a lot better then the first kit and I was able to maneuver the cover to make them line up enough to get the bolts through. I got the cover installed and this time the rail locks at the tailgate actually fit between both rails and it closed.

8d0b06d3d40ba61d5ecdf21da16a19ac.jpg
1e1612368c2600b4419444e6364e32a7.jpg
08e0b30c9eeeb3ecd75fc54e3eb12477.jpg

So, now I have a brand new in the box unopened BakFlip MX4 cover the for 02-18 Ram with the 6.4ft bed. I am going to be listing it in the for sale section in a moment. I am also selling the matching BAK Box 2, which is also brand new in the box never opened.

Between selling the extra cover and the BAK box, I will actually MAKE money in the end of this. I should make $200 or so bucks, plus the cover on my truck plus the old one that didn’t fit, I could sell for a few hundred to someone who wants to modify the rails to make it work on their truck. If I sell the first cover sent to me, I’d probably sell it for around $450 so if I do sell that one then I should make around $650 on top of the money back for the cover.

I will say this entire ordeal has been a nightmare but the end of the story has been written and that is me getting a free cover + making money, so I can’t complain anymore as I have made our better then 99.99% of other people who have been in this situation.

What a crazy ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd wait a few days before selling it.
FedEx will show any tracking number delivered, and once Bak gets that info (one has to be the 'lost' one) they'll want the 2nd cover back.
IMO of course, but freebies rarely happen.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd wait a few days before selling it.
FedEx will show any tracking number delivered, and once Bak gets that info (one has to be the 'lost' one) they'll want the 2nd cover back.
IMO of course, but freebies rarely happen.

Yea I’m well aware of all that but the thing here is that I didn’t buy the cover from BAK or through them, they have no payment information on me and they sent me the 2 covers, I didn’t know it wasn’t meant to be that way, not my fault I sold it before they contacted me.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yea I’m well aware of all that but the thing here is that I didn’t buy the cover from BAK or through them, they have no payment information on me and they sent me the 2 covers, I didn’t know it wasn’t meant to be that way, not my fault I sold it before they contacted me.

Honestly, if you told them you received two they'd likely tell you to keep it and your honor would be clean...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Agree with SKB. IMHO, the extra cover is BAK's property. If it were me, I would call them and ask what they want to do with the extra one. If they want it back, they should provide a FedEx pickup tag. This thread is proof of questionable intent since there is talk of "opening" the already opened one so there would be an unopened one which is slightly more valuable. Also, no effort seems to be made to contact the rightful owner of the property to allow them the opportunity rectify the situation.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Agree with SKB. IMHO, the extra cover is BAK's property. If it were me, I would call them and ask what they want to do with the extra one. If they want it back, they should provide a FedEx pickup tag. This thread is proof of questionable intent since there is talk of "opening" the already opened one so there would be an unopened one which is slightly more valuable. Also, no effort seems to be made to contact the rightful owner of the property to allow them the opportunity rectify the situation.

Ok I will email them and ask them what they want me to do.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Well boys it looks like the saga of the BakFlip Cover ends here...BAK Industries f**ked up yet again. Wait until you hear this.

So last week when I was told the cover shipped on Tues for a Wed delivery, then told on Wed it shipped for a Thurs delivery and neither happened, when I called them the guy said they gave FedEx the cover but FedEx says they lost it and can not find it and that he would get another one sent out to me ASAP. the guy said for all my troubles and issue that he would send me a BAK Box 2 for free! I didn’t even know what it was and thought “who cares I want my $1000 cover.

So fast forward past the incident last Friday and now today I get a notice of delivery. I open my front door to find this:

They sent me TWO FULL BRAND BEW MX4 COVERS! Cover, Rails and installation hardware!!! What the helllllll!!!!

Look at the one box, yet again, the box is best to hell, both ends WIDE OPEN and unsealed.

So I “open” (lol) the one that is already opened and chose to install that one. Install went “ok” and the holes on the cover did not line up with the slots on the rails, although this time around it was a lot better then the first kit and I was able to maneuver the cover to make them line up enough to get the bolts through. I got the cover installed and this time the rail locks at the tailgate actually fit between both rails and it closed.

So, now I have a brand new in the box unopened BakFlip MX4 cover the for 02-18 Ram with the 6.4ft bed. I am going to be listing it in the for sale section in a moment. I am also selling the matching BAK Box 2, which is also brand new in the box never opened.

Between selling the extra cover and the BAK box, I will actually MAKE money in the end of this. I should make $200 or so bucks, plus the cover on my truck plus the old one that didn’t fit, I could sell for a few hundred to someone who wants to modify the rails to make it work on their truck. If I sell the first cover sent to me, I’d probably sell it for around $450 so if I do sell that one then I should make around $650 on top of the money back for the cover.

I will say this entire ordeal has been a nightmare but the end of the story has been written and that is me getting a free cover + making money, so I can’t complain anymore as I have made our better then 99.99% of other people who have been in this situation.

What a crazy ending.

What a crazy ending.

What is that piece that is going across the back of your tailgate.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What is that piece that is going across the back of your tailgate.

I’ve had it installed for like 6-8 months and I only ever got asked once about it, but within the last 2 days I have had 5 different people ask me what it was and where to get it. So weird. I even had a guy standing at the back of my truck when I came out of 711 yesterday and scared the **** out of me when he popped up and started talking out of nowhere.

https://airdesignusa.com/2013-2020-ram-classic-1500-tailgate-applique-satin-black.html

MSRP is $375 however I found mine on eBay, brand new in the original box still sealed for $220.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
I’ve had it installed for like 6-8 months and I only ever got asked once about it, but within the last 2 days I have had 5 different people ask me what it was and where to get it. So weird. I even had a guy standing at the back of my truck when I came out of 711 yesterday and scared the **** out of me when he popped up and started talking out of nowhere.

https://airdesignusa.com/2013-2020-ram-classic-1500-tailgate-applique-satin-black.html

MSRP is $375 however I found mine on eBay, brand new in the original box still sealed for $220.

Awesome. Thanks!

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine

I followed the link to check it out. On their page they show it on a truck with that tailgate spoiler which I’m not a fan of so I went back to your pics and I do like it better without that spoiler.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I followed the link to check it out. On their page they show it on a truck with that tailgate spoiler which I’m not a fan of so I went back to your pics and I do like it better without that spoiler.

Yea it looks cool if you have smoked black taillights and then you paint the cover piece black too, it ends up looking like a wrap around black section.

Knucklebuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie Night edition
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a MX-4 installed by 4 Wheel Parts in Tacoma. They did an ok job. Had to adjust 3 latches as they didn't catch. I have the Ram Box option. The MX4 leaves a gap where the Ram Box ends next to the tailgate. Water gets in at this location. I opted to take 5 1/4" of the forward cushion gasket and put it between the tailgate and the rambox to seal that up. I wrote Bak and suggested they include an extra 10.5 inches of this gasket material so the tailgate could be more water tight. They wrote back and said there is nothing wrong with their product. I thought that rather cocky and felt disrespected with their reaction to my suggestion.
Couple months later and I see my rear right corner came off. I call them up and they are sending new parts out right away. Thank you for that Bak! I explained to the rep of feeling dissed and he took my suggestion from earlier and said he would pass it along.

Megtom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Hello. New poster because I had to register and replay when I found your story here.
I am going through the same damn thing.
I got my bak mx4 last Saturday. Replacing a soft top on my 16 Ram Tradesman with the 6’4 box. It worked fine but I wanted a hard top.
May box was not beaten up too bad. Got the rails on and was getting excited. This was going to be a breeze. First bulkhead bolt installed and went to the other side. Um, I only see part of the slot. Bolt won’t go through. I fiddled with it for 30 minutes. Got it in but it was slanted. Wouldn’t seat. I knew that wouldn’t be good. Tried unfolding it. Nothing latched. The last one at the tailgate neither one would latch. I fought, pushed, pulled to no avail.
I contacted customer service but they want pics and I’m flustered. Guess I’ll get them tomorrow and send them in.
It’s like the cover is an inch too wide. I’ve removed/replaced the rails 5 times. They’re on correctly.
Frustrating. Glad to know I’m not the only one with this issue.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Might as well pile on here. I also have the MX4. I really like it but it is showing a lot of wear. During installation I had to cut 1/4” off the back ends of the long rails to allow the tailgate to close. This kind of stuff doesn’t bother me and it has worked well. It did get hailed on a couple of years ago while camping in PA and it got dented by nickel sized hail. Yesterday I noticed that the finish is completely worn off a couple of spots where the cover rubs when folded. I have to assume that there was a rub strip that fell off so I will need to check it out and fix it.
I still like the functionality better than the “way cheaper” tri-fold and roll-up cover that I had previously.

Gort

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got the MX4 for my 2020 back in December of 2020. I've had two BakFlip covers for my previous 1500s (the most recent one also an MX4) and they were good.

The one for my 2500, though, shows the same misaligned rail locks (and without shims), although not to the same extent as yours. I was able to get the cover closed with a little bit of persuasion.

Fast-forward 7 months later, and it seems to be "settling in" -- it's a lot easier to close than it was. Still, though, I was disappointed with the fit as it was shipped. And the box mine shipped in was in perfect shape.