My nightmare experience with BAK Industries BakFlip MX4 hard folding cover for 6’4” bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@OnSale - I'm wondering if the cover they sent you was not for a Ram.

No it was, the box had the correct part number and made number and the cover was the correct width and length, it’s just a couple things were off by fractions of an inch and it totally screwed the entire cover up.

I am still waiting for the email that my new cover shipped. I guess cause I sent them the photos of the issues at 4:45 on Friday that the cover wouldn’t ship until today. They already emailed me back on Friday that the replacement was approved and was getting ready for shipment and would be shipped next day air. Hopefully it’s here tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom McClellan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have had good luck with BAK for both my Rams. Sorry for your troubles. Hopefully they are all in your past. Good luck!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really hope that I don't have these issues when I order. I am glad they are making it right.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At least you got a good laptop. I’ve thought about getting a new one, but my 12 1/2 year old MacBook is still going strong. With the new ones I can’t have the 1.5TB of storage that I’ve got on the current one.

Not to change the subject too much but damn, 12 and a half years? That’s really good to hear being that I just spentq a pretty penny on a brand new 16” MacBook Pro last year for no particular reason other than just wanting a good laptop that’ll do what it’s supposed to and being sick and tired of typical Windows PC ********. I coulda got the terabyte hard disk but half that’s really all I need.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I bought something from Harbor Freight last year. Box was mangled at one end, and taped up. I wasn't too worried, item was pretty sturdy. Opened it up, no damage. To my surprise, there was also a Google Nest in there, brand new in the box.

The Nest surely didn't come from HF. I am sure there were several boxes damaged along the way someplace. Somebody just scooped up the items into whatever box they could, and sealed them all up.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The shipping companies just don't GAF. I ordered an Undercover Classic hard cover for my old Ram back in 2017. The idiot that delivered it backed his 18 wheeler down my narrow ass driveway and ripped my internet line and cable TV lines clean off the side of the house destroying both cables in the process. The bed cover was scratched all to hell so I sent it back. Bought the next one from a local truck accessory place which is what I will do this time too. Let someone else deal with that BS and the installation too. Hopefully the replacement works out better for you!

Man, that ain’t no joke. It took me almost 4 months and 3 different tries last summer to finally get my painted to match hard Undercover Elite Pro cover due to FedEx turning the shipping carton into a hammered dog **** two times in a row.

I can’t remember who the original shipping company was that picked up my package from the manufacturer in Missouri. Never heard of them before but since the closest terminal of them to me is in Tulsa and instead of them being the ones to bring my package to me, they just handed it off to FedEx Freight and they were the ones who brought it to me.

The first time, the box was all beat to hell looking like they drug it behind the back of the truck because it was all scratched and ripped and most of the plastic tie straps that held the box together were busted, and of course when we went to open the package since I had to sign for it due to the fact that it was being handled by truck freight in a semi, there was several deep scratches right on top of it were they had painted it so of course I had to refuse it.

About 4 to 5 weeks later, they sent me another one but again, instead of the original shipping company taking care of my package from pick up to delivery, they handed it off to FedEx and the second one came in worse shape than the first one so of course I had to refuse that one.

Got all the horn with undercover and after two failed attempts of treating my package with respect, they went out of their way to have a whole different shipping company which was XPO Logistics who picked up the package up from the manufacturer and brought it directly to my house but this time, the package was in a 1000 times better shape than the others so finally, I was able to accept delivery install my tonneau cover.

It’s pretty damn sad that my truck had to go almost 7 weeks with no cover on it at all being that I was able to sell my old one long before the new one got here….lol.

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
Hope they work with you, I have had 2 BAKflip covers...worked with them with very little issues...hope they take darn good care of you, have recommended them to other truck owners please keep us posted to your resoults...thanks

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that ain’t no joke. It took me almost 4 months and 3 different tries last summer to finally get my painted to match hard Undercover Elite Pro cover due to FedEx turning the shipping carton into a hammered dog **** two times in a row.

I can’t remember who the original shipping company was that picked up my package from the manufacturer in Missouri. Never heard of them before but since the closest terminal of them to me is in Tulsa and instead of them being the ones to bring my package to me, they just handed it off to FedEx Freight and they were the ones who brought it to me.

The first time, the box was all beat to hell looking like they drug it behind the back of the truck because it was all scratched and ripped and most of the plastic tie straps that held the box together were busted, and of course when we went to open the package since I had to sign for it due to the fact that it was being handled by truck freight in a semi, there was several deep scratches right on top of it were they had painted it so of course I had to refuse it.

About 4 to 5 weeks later, they sent me another one but again, instead of the original shipping company taking care of my package from pick up to delivery, they handed it off to FedEx and the second one came in worse shape than the first one so of course I had to refuse that one.

Got all the horn with undercover and after two failed attempts of treating my package with respect, they went out of their way to have a whole different shipping company which was XPO Logistics who picked up the package up from the manufacturer and brought it directly to my house but this time, the package was in a 1000 times better shape than the others so finally, I was able to accept delivery install my tonneau cover.

It’s pretty damn sad that my truck had to go almost 7 weeks with no cover on it at all being that I was able to sell my old one long before the new one got here….lol.

Funny you mention the Undercover Elite because I just ordered the black version today for my new Ram. I ordered from my local Leonard dealer so if it messed up they’ll have to deal with it. Fingers crossed!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny you mention the Undercover Elite because I just ordered the black version today for my new Ram. I ordered from my local Leonard dealer so if it messed up they’ll have to deal with it. Fingers crossed!

I think you’ll like it. I sure love the hell out of mine. I love it so much that I kind of wish I would’ve just got one of those along time ago before dropping $1500 on that Retrax. That was a good cover but at least in my experience, if you want one that’s going to keep your **** dry, don’t get one of them. Sure, this one really takes away the functionality of your truck bed but if you’re like me who just pretty much uses your truck bed like someone would use the trunk in their car, I think its perfect because I don’t think I’ve had a drop of rain water ever enter my truck bed after switching for this one. It’s kind of a pain in the ass that I have to open the cover before I can drop my tailgate but then again, it’s really no big deal. Besides, they make this cover really easy to take off and they even give you some hardware that you mount to the wall in your garage so that if you need your truck bed to do truck stuff, you easily take the cover off and hang it on the wall of your garage out of the way.

I just wish they hadn’t of stopped using the special lock cylinder that adapts to your ignition key. It would really be nice if I had the capability of just using the actual key that’s stored in my key fob instead of having to carry an extra key around on my keychain but oh well, it is what it is. The greatness of this cover makes up for it… LOL

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you’ll like it. I sure love the hell out of mine. I love it so much that I kind of wish I would’ve just got one of those along time ago before dropping $1500 on that Retrax. That was a good cover but at least in my experience, if you want one that’s going to keep your **** dry, don’t get one of them. Sure, this one really takes away the functionality of your truck bed but if you’re like me who just pretty much uses your truck bed like someone would use the trunk in their car, I think its perfect because I don’t think I’ve had a drop of rain water ever enter my truck bed after switching for this one. It’s kind of a pain in the ass that I have to open the cover before I can drop my tailgate but then again, it’s really no big deal. Besides, they make this cover really easy to take off and they even give you some hardware that you mount to the wall in your garage so that if you need your truck bed to do truck stuff, you easily take the cover off and hang it on the wall of your garage out of the way.

I just wish they hadn’t of stopped using the special lock cylinder that adapts to your ignition key. It would really be nice if I had the capability of just using the actual key that’s stored in my key fob instead of having to carry an extra key around on my keychain but oh well, it is what it is. The greatness of this cover makes up for it… LOL

I wanted the Retrax(so I could really take advantage of the auto down tailgate feature) but around here the least expensive model was like $1900 and I paid $1260 for this Elite after tax. I could have ordered it and put it on myself but didn't want to risk having to possibly deal shipping damage(again) and I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about putting it on either. What did they go to in place of using your trucks key in place of the lock? First I've heard of them changing that. I had an Elite on my 2015 Ram and its still works like a champ.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted the Retrax(so I could really take advantage of the auto down tailgate feature) but around here the least expensive model was like $1900 and I paid $1260 for this Elite after tax. I could have ordered it and put it on myself but didn't want to risk having to possibly deal shipping damage(again) and I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about putting it on either. What did they go to in place of using your trucks key in place of the lock? First I've heard of them changing that. I had an Elite on my 2015 Ram and its still works like a champ.

They just went to a regular lock cylinder that uses it’s own key. If I remember correctly, one of those times while on the phone getting either my first or second replacement lined out, I asked about it and they said they started having issues with the programmable lock so they quit using it.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lots of trucks have pushbutton start nowadays, makes sense that they would provide a key. I would probably put the key on a separate chain, and keep it in the console up front. Easy enough to grab it when needed.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of trucks have pushbutton start nowadays, makes sense that they would provide a key.

No it doesn’t. Even though a lot of trucks have key-less start, they still- or most of them do, have a mechanical lock cylinder on the door with an actual key hidden in the fob so you can access the inside of the vehicle if the battery was dead or if there was ever an electrical problem so, you could use that key to lock and unlock your cover instead of fiddling with a whole other key.

I would probably put the key on a separate chain, and keep it in the console up front. Easy enough to grab it when needed.

Maybe for covers like my Retrax I had before or any other cover that doesn’t go completely over the top of the tailgate like my solid Undercover Elite does. The Retrax I used to have before didn’t have to be messed with in order to drop the tailgate like my new solid cover does. It has to be unlocked and raised before you can even open the tailgate which is why, yeah, it would be nice to just be able to use the spare key to my truck because when you need to put groceries or whatever in the back, you either have to get in the cab first and get your other key ring just to unlock and get the cover out of the way so you can drop your tailgate or you just carry the key to it on your fob.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not to change the subject too much but damn, 12 and a half years? That’s really good to hear being that I just spentq a pretty penny on a brand new 16” MacBook Pro last year for no particular reason other than just wanting a good laptop that’ll do what it’s supposed to and being sick and tired of typical Windows PC ********. I coulda got the terabyte hard disk but half that’s really all I need.

My Mac has been a workhorse. I can run Photoshop with 8-10 large scale images with multiple layers, Illustrator with 5-6 vectors with tons of layers and paths, Final Cut Pro X with a large movie file, chrome with 10-20 active tabs and a ton of smaller apps all at once and it doesn’t even hiccup. The key to keeping a MacBook running smooth is to always use an external hard drive. I have maybe 20 files on my MacBook, the rest are on my 6tb External SSD. This keeps the MacBook clean and operating at optimal conditions.

Another good thing with MacBooks is that I see 5-7 year old MacBooks still selling for $700-$1,200 which is just insane because if you buy a $2,500 PC today, in 5-7 years it will be worth $200 max and that’s if it’s still able to run. MacBooks are a solid investment that keep value over time if you take care of them.

I bought something from Harbor Freight last year. Box was mangled at one end, and taped up. I wasn't too worried, item was pretty sturdy. Opened it up, no damage. To my surprise, there was also a Google Nest in there, brand new in the box.

The Nest surely didn't come from HF. I am sure there were several boxes damaged along the way someplace. Somebody just scooped up the items into whatever box they could, and sealed them all up.

That’s awesome. Free Google Nest.

Hope they work with you, I have had 2 BAKflip covers...worked with them with very little issues...hope they take darn good care of you, have recommended them to other truck owners please keep us posted to your resoults...thanks

So far it’s been a positive experience. They approved my claim last Friday at 4:45pm but they still have not shipped my replacement cover. I spoke to the women yesterday and she said that the covers are “made to order” so when a replacement is approved, it literally has to be made in the factory and that they do not stock any covers in inventory. So I am hoping it ships soon as the email listed Friday as it’s longest possible shipment date. They are shipping it overnight next day, so that is good. I’ll keep everyone updated on how it ends.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Mac has been a workhorse. I can run Photoshop with 8-10 large scale images with multiple layers, Illustrator with 5-6 vectors with tons of layers and paths, Final Cut Pro X with a large movie file, chrome with 10-20 active tabs and a ton of smaller apps all at once and it doesn’t even hiccup. The key to keeping a MacBook running smooth is to always use an external hard drive. I have maybe 20 files on my MacBook, the rest are on my 6tb External SSD. This keeps the MacBook clean and operating at optimal conditions.

Another good thing with MacBooks is that I see 5-7 year old MacBooks still selling for $700-$1,200 which is just insane because if you buy a $2,500 PC today, in 5-7 years it will be worth $200 max and that’s if it’s still able to run. MacBooks are a solid investment that keep value over time if you take care of them.

That’s awesome. Free Google Nest.

So far it’s been a positive experience. They approved my claim last Friday at 4:45pm but they still have not shipped my replacement cover. I spoke to the women yesterday and she said that the covers are “made to order” so when a replacement is approved, it literally has to be made in the factory and that they do not stock any covers in inventory. So I am hoping it ships soon as the email listed Friday as it’s longest possible shipment date. They are shipping it overnight next day, so that is good. I’ll keep everyone updated on how it ends.

That’s amazing and good to hear. I don’t use my Mac near as hard as you use yours, matter of fact, mine is simply overkill for what I need but is great because it’s always lightning quick no matter what I do. It starts up three times as quick as any PC laptop I’ve ever had even when brand new, it shuts down quick and just simply runs without hitch. Plus, there’s no disk defrag, no other typical PC maintenance BS, just really big OS updates. Don’t even really need to run the firewall either.

I may be using close to half of my internal 500 gig hard drive but that’s it, primarily just my music.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That’s amazing and good to hear. I don’t use my Mac near as hard as you use yours, matter of fact, mine is simply overkill for what I need but is great because it’s always lightning quick no matter what I do. It starts up three times as quick as any PC laptop I’ve ever had even when brand new, it shuts down quick and just simply runs without hitch. Plus, there’s no disk defrag, no other typical PC maintenance BS, just really big OS updates. Don’t even really need to run the firewall either.

I may be using close to half of my internal 500 gig hard drive but that’s it, primarily just my music.

If you are using your 50% of your HD for Music, you should be storing your music on the MacOS Music app. It will save and be stored in “iCloud” and therefore won’t take up space on your MacBooks HD.

Or you can also just plain ol’ save all your music to your iCloud storage. I pay $29.99 a month for the Apple One Plan which gives me 2tb of iCloud storage, unlimited Apple Music, , Access to all of Apple Arcade, Apple News+, Apple Fitness and Apple TV. This also allows me to add any “family” members to my plan to share all of these benefits. I am actually about to downgrade to a cheaper plan because I broke up with my gf today so I don’t have a need for the family plan. Regardless, you can also get just the iCloud storage of 2tb for $9.99 a month which is a good price for 2tb of cloud storage synced across all your Apple devices.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are using your 50% of your HD for Music, you should be storing your music on the MacOS Music app. It will save and be stored in “iCloud” and therefore won’t take up space on your MacBooks HD.

Or you can also just plain ol’ save all your music to your iCloud storage. I pay $29.99 a month for the Apple One Plan which gives me 2tb of iCloud storage, unlimited Apple Music, , Access to all of Apple Arcade, Apple News+, Apple Fitness and Apple TV. This also allows me to add any “family” members to my plan to share all of these benefits. I am actually about to downgrade to a cheaper plan because I broke up with my gf today so I don’t have a need for the family plan. Regardless, you can also get just the iCloud storage of 2tb for $9.99 a month which is a good price for 2tb of cloud storage synced across all your Apple devices.

I’ll have to get with you later on that to figure out how to do that because being that I’ve been a very long time iTunes user, I’ve always just stored all my music on my hard disk and used to just sync up my iPod and then when I got my first iPhone, sync it up to the PC as well. I have the iCloud service turned on and all that but I haven’t yet figured out how to actually store my music on the cloud rather than just my drive. Not only that, the only way I was able to save all my music to my last PC laptop after the one before it ended up having a jacked up hard drive was to use some special program that basically ripped the music from my old iPhone 8 Plus because I had a ****-load of songs I paid for but was under my ex-wife’s Apple ID and without that, I’d have to re-purchase probably four, or five hundred dollars worth of songs.

I’m currently just an Apple Music subscriber so if I had to, I could just redownload the songs I would lose but if I ever decided to cancel my Apple Music subscription, I’d lose a butt-load of songs. lol.

At least now that I’ve transitioned to my new Mac, I still have my songs but I basically had to use a large thumb drive to copy the big music file from my last PC over to my Mac. That’s pretty much why I’m using so much space on my hard disk.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Still waiting on the replacement cover. The email last Friday said the cover would ship on or before 5/21/21 so I guess it is going to ship tomorrow. I called earlier this week to inquire about the replacement and the women said they do not inventory covers and that they are all built-to-order so my replacement cover and install parts had to be manufactured.

I am hoping everything works as it should once the new cover arrives.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well the story continues.... took a bad turn.

So I was told a full kit replacement would be sent to me, I was told this on 05/14/21 that the new full kit would ship on or before 5/21/21. So that was last Friday. No shipping email, nothing. Monday comes around, still nothing. Tuesday I call and I am told that there was delays getting materials to build the cover (yea... ok!) and that it was already done and shipping on Tuesday, I would get it Wednesday. So Wednesday comes and goes and no cover, the tracking number they provided says FedEx never received the package. So I call on Wednesday and they tell me “oh sorry that was picked up by FedEx today and their site should update by 6pm tonight, you should get the cover by 8pm tomorrow”.

Well today came, tracking number still says waiting on package, nothing arrived, so I call them and NOW they are telling me they built the cover and FedEx picked it up, FedEx is saying they don’t know where the cover is and can’t find it.

SO NOW... I have to wait for BAK Industries to build/manufacture ANOTHER cover, the third one, and that will most likely take 7-10 days just like the previous one.

This is completely insane and at this point if I hadn’t gone through a 3rd party vendor, I’d be demanding a full return and refund and I’d be going with a completely different cover and company. I’m fed up with being lied to about shipping dates, and “oh it shipped you’ll have it tomorrow”. I am have difficulty believing that FedEx just lost the package. My best guess is they have paid orders ahead of mine to fill and they just forgot to make my replacement cover and now that I am calling and making a big deal about it they are finally going to get to it.

This company went from A+ customer service to a complete F. What a failure and I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a cover. I guarantee I will have issues with the replacement, I’ve already accepted that fact, and if I do, I’m just going to throw it all away and buy from another brand.