My nightmare experience with BAK Industries BakFlip MX4 hard folding cover for 6’4” bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok so I ordered my BakFlip MX4 cover from Nick @ GotExhaust. I knew before I ordered that he did not have any in stock. So once I placed my order, he routed the order to one of his vendors. So what I am about to say has nothing to do with Nick, it’s not his fault and I don’t hold any grudge towards him, as he was only helping me out and it wasn’t even his shipping or product.

Now, on to what happened.

The cover was delivered on Tuesday, here is the box that is came in.
065eff044e45f7913967d963018598c1.jpg
52aaa4846cc0b53723e81a18d3257dcb.jpg
f3e38f1e971715910a74ce60d74b56a4.jpg
64af8ca809435e8c4636c38f86768851.jpg
df3cf56f496491261518f6b9e721e5a8.jpg
a0474f0ee0f13d7ff21d07d9b3c15eb0.jpg
af04da269428f15068984f7a2a199320.jpg
822e49f5afa6b04f5793d9f80efafc71.jpg
c4603765c9d0a2221bda387d687588d7.jpg
df7e05caf334733b79e1b973ee18876b.jpg
df7e05caf334733b79e1b973ee18876b.jpg
57f351908f355e3c44920792cbedc689.jpg
415c5372b48f0830b2db42725c48a67c.jpg
290350e170ad820a15a73356bc7687f8.jpg
5ce34c523625a70f8f585ad1100010d6.jpg

As you can see, the box has MAJOR damage to one end. That wraps around 3 of the 4 sides. Somebody clearly taped it up and did not care. So I opened the box and the cover was in perfect shape (visually). I take everything out of the box and realize that there is a ton of stuff missing. The ONLY stuff in the box was the cover and the 2 side rails. No straps or buckles, no clamps, no drain tubes, no bolts, no install parts... nothing.

So I call the number on the BakFlip paperwork and the women tells me they will overnight me the missing stuff. Ok cool, no big deal.

Next day I am expecting to get a delivery with the following parts : 2 Drain tubes, 6 clamps, 2 main bolts, washers, crush washers, twist knobs, buckles for the cover, bolts and threaded tube for the buckles, and more.

This is what was delivered -
8a4271d523b42747f2043f4a0e5e83c0.jpg

That’s it! Just a bag of buckles. So I call the same women I spoke to and she says she doesn’t know what happened and they would overnight the correct parts. Again, not a big deal, it’s whatever I wasn’t upset yet more just annoyed.

Fast forward to the next day and the parts arrive. So I go outside to install everything on my truck. I start the install at 11am.

I mount both rails and go to place the cover on the rails to then bolt the cover down. I discover that the bolt holes on the cover DO NOT line up with the slots on the rail brackets:

Driver side -

0cd952fff6eed167c4c299ac9036cc9d.jpg

Passenger side
a4854996344c544e1e22d0e1b7eb25f5.jpg

It didn’t matter how much I tried to move the cover left to right, front to back, when one side was open for the bolt, the other side was half covered.

So I remove the rails and remount them 6-7 times and no matter what I do, the holes in the cover will not line up with the brackets slots.

(continued below due to picture limits)

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The one time I was able to get the bolts through BUT the bolts were on such a massive slant and up against the bracket slots side wall that I had to bang down on the bolt to get it through:

9df587568beb8e29f14b2a79d2ba0372.jpg
08b86045f1543e08719e4fa7b0b56ee8.jpg
a6055f2ebec321c87da067c0e6baeace.jpg

It’s now about 2pm, 3 hours into what should have been a 35-40 minute install. I am so frustrated and mad at this point.

So I removed everything once again and decided to mount the rails to the cover off of the truck and then install it all as one piece. This did work, and I was able to mount it all. But because of whatever was going on to cause the bolts to not align, the cover was not adjustable (forward to cab or back towards tailgate). I still continued on with the install hoping it would all just work.

Got it all installed and I flip the cover closed and each section is locking into place as it should and then I get to the tailgate and that’s when I discovered that BOTH of the “rail locks” at the tail gate end were extended too far out and were hitting the metal of the rails. Literally metal on metal.

7787a348975557c72534c91767c03dca.jpg
89c8f5ab4cda3493c799b298743030f5.jpg

So I tried to adjust the locking tabs by adjusting the plates they are mounted too but they were already “in” as far as they could go. There was absolutely no way these locks were going to push in to lock into the rails. The metal housing that houses the locking tabs was sticking too far out on both ends of the cover.

At this point I was defeated... I gave up. Nothing fit properly, nothing aligned properly, everything was off by large margins and not small fractions, this cover just seemed like it was meant to not be on my truck.

So I take it all off my truck and I call BAK Industries and I speak to the same women again and this time she apologizes and says she is sending out an entering new package, new cover, new rails, new hardware, all of it and she isn’t taking any chances of reusing any parts from this order. And she said she is overnighting this aswell (that’s gotta cost ALOT).

I have to say, BAK Industries (BakFlip) hands down has the best customer service I’ve ever encountered in any retail field. Every company should strive to be like them. They didn’t care that I didn’t buy directly from them, they didn’t fight me on anything, they overnighted the missing parts twice and now an entirely new cover and the entire kit. All she asked for was pics showing the issues, and about 35 minutes after my phone call I had an email with my tracking number for the replacement cover. No arguing or fighting with them to get a warranty claim.

So yes I am frustrated with everything that happened. No, it’s not Nicks fault, my guess is that the vendor he used or FedEx ripped the box and the install parts fell out and they just taped it over. I am also wondering if the damage to the box bent the cover and the rails and that is why nothing fit properly. Either way, it was a massive waste of my time over multiple days and I still have the upcoming time spent installing the replacement so this has been a nightmare but also I am very happy BakFlip stood by their product and is sending a full replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow that sounds like a nightmare! Nice to know their customer service is top notch though. Crossing my fingers for you that the next package is right!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They offered me a friends and family discount which was fairly decent if I ever wanted to replace my damaged BAKFlip VP that was out of warranty.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

dgossett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered mine from Amazon, and my experience was just the opposite. Everything was in great shape, went together correctly and fits perfectly. Sorry you had the hassle.

Stelios

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I dealt with their customer service a couple months ago, really the best service for anything I've gotten for my truck (and that includes my truck itself). My cover was a little over 2 years old and one of the seals shrunk a bit on it. I called them, they asked for photos, and then replaced the cover entirely for a brand new one with no hesitation.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shipping companies just don't GAF. I ordered an Undercover Classic hard cover for my old Ram back in 2017. The idiot that delivered it backed his 18 wheeler down my narrow ass driveway and ripped my internet line and cable TV lines clean off the side of the house destroying both cables in the process. The bed cover was scratched all to hell so I sent it back. Bought the next one from a local truck accessory place which is what I will do this time too. Let someone else deal with that BS and the installation too. Hopefully the replacement works out better for you!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The shipping companies just don't GAF. I ordered an Undercover Classic hard cover for my old Ram back in 2017. The idiot that delivered it backed his 18 wheeler down my narrow ass driveway and ripped my internet line and cable TV lines clean off the side of the house destroying both cables in the process. The bed cover was scratched all to hell so I sent it back. Bought the next one from a local truck accessory place which is what I will do this time too. Let someone else deal with that BS and the installation too. Hopefully the replacement works out better for you!

I havent had many problems with the freight drivers that deliver at my job, but with one company in particular, I would swear they have the ********* warehouse people there is.

The running joke is, when they arrive I say "What do you have broken for me today?" I **** you not.

One day driver shows up. And surprisingly, our delivery is good. However, when I look in the back of his rig, there's this big-ass 150HP pump on a pallet, standing as tall as me. Strapped in the truck, but not a single strap on the pallet.

Right away. I notice one of the big cast lifting fittings on the side of the motor is snapped off, and gone. Also, the cast cover between the pump body and the motor housing is split completely in two, from one side to the other.

I said, "oh, ****" and showed the driver. He was stunned, but nothing he could do.

I asked him the next time I saw him what had happened. He said the company had to refuse delivery, of course. The pump was for a rush job as well. About $18k worth of pump is now junk because of people not giving a crap and taking no care or pride in what they do.

Sad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wow that sounds like a nightmare! Nice to know their customer service is top notch though. Crossing my fingers for you that the next package is right!

Yea their CS was on point, no hesitation to replace everything.

I wouldn't have accepted delivery of such a damaged box. Sorry you've had so much trouble.

Unfortunately I was not there. I was upstairs and decided to check my tracking number and discovered it was outside my door. Went out to see what is in the pictures.

They offered me a friends and family discount which was fairly decent if I ever wanted to replace my damaged BAKFlip VP that was out of warranty.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh wow that’s really cool.

Ordered mine from Amazon, and my experience was just the opposite. Everything was in great shape, went together correctly and fits perfectly. Sorry you had the hassle.

Yea I am beginning to see that my experience is the rarity when it comes to BAK. I’m guessing the next cover will be good and fit as it should.

That’s great that they have such great customer service.

Yea definitely better then any other truck part company I’ve dealt with... actually AlphaRex has really good CS from my multiple experiences with them. I’d say both companies are top notch CS.

I dealt with their customer service a couple months ago, really the best service for anything I've gotten for my truck (and that includes my truck itself). My cover was a little over 2 years old and one of the seals shrunk a bit on it. I called them, they asked for photos, and then replaced the cover entirely for a brand new one with no hesitation.

Yea I’ve been seeing people with 2,3,4 year old covers getting full replacements with really no questions asked so that is a huge relief to know that they stand by their covers for such a long time.

This is so true. Most parts won’t get damaged during shipping but there are a handful of parts that you are really taking a risk when getting them shipped to residential. Hoods, bumpers, bed covers, fragile parts, etc. sorry you had such a horrible experience with that delivery company. It seems the drivers think to themselves “I am just the driver, the package is not my problem, my job is to drive the truck.”

I havent had many problems with the freight drivers that deliver at my job, but with one company in particular, I would swear they have the ********* warehouse people there is.

The running joke is, when they arrive I say "What do you have broken for me today?" I **** you not.

One day driver shows up. And surprisingly, our delivery is good. However, when I look in the back of his rig, there's this big-ass 150HP pump on a pallet, standing as tall as me. Strapped in the truck, but not a single strap on the pallet.

Right away. I notice one of the big cast lifting fittings on the side of the motor is snapped off, and gone. Also, the cast cover between the pump body and the motor housing is split completely in two, from one side to the other.

I said, "oh, ****" and showed the driver. He was stunned, but nothing he could do.

I asked him the next time I saw him what had happened. He said the company had to refuse delivery, of course. The pump was for a rush job as well. About $18k worth of pump is now junk because of people not giving a crap and taking no care or pride in what they do.

Sad.

Wow. Yea I’m sure there are delivery drivers out there who really try to be careful and take pride in their deliveries being on time and not damaged but a majority of drivers could care less.

Quick story: I ordered a new laptop (MacBook Pro) and I needed it for work ASAP and I knew FedEx had it on their truck for delivery (website said so). I was literally out front working on my truck and saw the FedEx guy drive right past my house. So I walked down the street to his truck and asked if he had my package cause it said it was on the truck. He did a “quick search” and said he didn’t have it. Next morning same thing, says on the truck for delivery. So he drives past AGAIN as I am outside (I had been outside working on installing stuff on my truck for a few days straight). I walk down and this time I tell him my package is for sure on his truck. He “searches” again and nothing, says it’s not there. Then I show him my phone where it says “on truck for delivery” and he goes back into the back of the truck and then only like 5-7 seconds later comes out with my package. What a fu***gn moron who clearly doesn’t care about his job or deliveries. He didn’t last long and a few weeks later there was a new FedEx driver for my route.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea their CS was on point, no hesitation to replace everything.

Unfortunately I was not there. I was upstairs and decided to check my tracking number and discovered it was outside my door. Went out to see what is in the pictures.

Oh wow that’s really cool.

Yea I am beginning to see that my experience is the rarity when it comes to BAK. I’m guessing the next cover will be good and fit as it should.

Yea definitely better then any other truck part company I’ve dealt with... actually AlphaRex has really good CS from my multiple experiences with them. I’d say both companies are top notch CS.

Yea I’ve been seeing people with 2,3,4 year old covers getting full replacements with really no questions asked so that is a huge relief to know that they stand by their covers for such a long time.

This is so true. Most parts won’t get damaged during shipping but there are a handful of parts that you are really taking a risk when getting them shipped to residential. Hoods, bumpers, bed covers, fragile parts, etc. sorry you had such a horrible experience with that delivery company. It seems the drivers think to themselves “I am just the driver, the package is not my problem, my job is to drive the truck.”

Wow. Yea I’m sure there are delivery drivers out there who really try to be careful and take pride in their deliveries being on time and not damaged but a majority of drivers could care less.

Quick story: I ordered a new laptop (MacBook Pro) and I needed it for work ASAP and I knew FedEx had it on their truck for delivery (website said so). I was literally out front working on my truck and saw the FedEx guy drive right past my house. So I walked down the street to his truck and asked if he had my package cause it said it was on the truck. He did a “quick search” and said he didn’t have it. Next morning same thing, says on the truck for delivery. So he drives past AGAIN as I am outside (I had been outside working on installing stuff on my truck for a few days straight). I walk down and this time I tell him my package is for sure on his truck. He “searches” again and nothing, says it’s not there. Then I show him my phone where it says “on truck for delivery” and he goes back into the back of the truck and then only like 5-7 seconds later comes out with my package. What a fu***gn moron who clearly doesn’t care about his job or deliveries. He didn’t last long and a few weeks later there was a new FedEx driver for my route.

At least you got a good laptop. I’ve thought about getting a new one, but my 12 1/2 year old MacBook is still going strong. With the new ones I can’t have the 1.5TB of storage that I’ve got on the current one.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
crap like this is why i will never buy anything with smittybilt on it.bought a product and it was delivered with all sorts of missing pieces,not due to poor packaging and the welds were all uneven and the unit was all twisted and not symmetrical at all.contacted them and they told me to deal with the shipping company.no,you guys didn't include the missing hardware.them:better luck next time.so,never again.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
At least you got a good laptop. I’ve thought about getting a new one, but my 12 1/2 year old MacBook is still going strong. With the new ones I can’t have the 1.5TB of storage that I’ve got on the current one.

MacBook Pro’s have a 1tb, 2tb, 4tb and 8tb option when buying one from Apple store.

I’ve got the 16” with the 2.4 i9, 32gb RAM and 5500m 8gb gpu . It’s a beast but I need it for my businesses (e-commerce web design and a clothing brand I run and design for). So lots of graphics and extremely large files of code.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
crap like this is why i will never buy anything with smittybilt on it.bought a product and it was delivered with all sorts of missing pieces,not due to poor packaging and the welds were all uneven and the unit was all twisted and not symmetrical at all.contacted them and they told me to deal with the shipping company.no,you guys didn't include the missing hardware.them:better luck next time.so,never again.

Lmao wow that is so bad. I’m glad you said this cause now I know to stay away from them forever.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's good that BakFlip took care of the issue.

I have several issues over the years with great products that arrived damaged because of crappy shipping operations. That said, sometimes the issue also includes insufficient packaging protection from the manufacturers.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Glad it worked out fer ya

Knucklebuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie Night edition
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I contacted BAK to improve their MX-4 that I put on my 2021 RamBox 2500. There is a gap at the tailgate on each side where the cover stops due to the RamBox. I suggested they include 10" of gasket to aid in sealing that up. I was told there was nothing wrong with their product! WOW!! I was shocked at their arrogance in this product! A $1 of gasket would improve this, but no. Not impressed. I ended up cutting off 5" for each side of their front cushion to use. It works great! Screw 'em!

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Stuff like this is why I went back to Extang Solid Fold 2.0. Much more simple of a cover, and works so much better.