my ram is wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbyhonea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I traded in my 2015 ram 1500 5.7 regular cab in February for a 2018 same and have regretted it ever since,
My 2015 was one awesome truck with kickass power, the problem with my 2018 is not the power but the take off. It seems to stall every time I have to gas it from either a stand still or trying to pass someone.
There is some kind of delay before it kicks in and it drives me nuts. I took it to the dealer and had them check it out and relearn it but its still the same, I had a salesman drive it and he agreed with the delay but one mechanic said all 2018s drive this way.( I'm not buying it)
Also a shifting difference is noticeable when I take off ,1st gear shifts into 2nd immediately before I have time to travel a few feet, different transmission maybe? all I know is I get so frustrated I sometimes want to drive it into a tree.
Now I have noticed when I shift manually it doesn't stall so it could all be in the transmission.
If anybody understands what's going on I would appreciate a reply

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try a different dealer first but I would also think about getting a Pedal Commander too. Does the motor completely die or does it just have a noticeable lag between the time you mash the gas and it starts moving? If there's a big hesitation there the Pedal Commander will eliminate it completely. Also what gears did your old truck have compared to what the new one has? That could be a small part of it.

OP
OP
B

bobbyhonea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the 2015 was a 6 speed with the shifter on the steering colum,
and no it doesn't die it just has a noticeable lag when I gas it.
I wonder if a pedal commander would end my warranty?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
well do you want your kick ass truck back or you want to play warranty safe? maybe drive the dog until warranty dies then do what you want to it. magnusum says they have to prove the upgrade caused the failure to deny you, but whatever, we live in weird times. did you go from a 3.92 to a 3.21? If so, that would explain a lot.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I traded in my 2015 ram 1500 5.7 regular cab in February for a 2018 same and have regretted it ever since,
My 2015 was one awesome truck with kickass power, the problem with my 2018 is not the power but the take off. It seems to stall every time I have to gas it from either a stand still or trying to pass someone.
There is some kind of delay before it kicks in and it drives me nuts. I took it to the dealer and had them check it out and relearn it but its still the same, I had a salesman drive it and he agreed with the delay but one mechanic said all 2018s drive this way.( I'm not buying it)
Also a shifting difference is noticeable when I take off ,1st gear shifts into 2nd immediately before I have time to travel a few feet, different transmission maybe? all I know is I get so frustrated I sometimes want to drive it into a tree.
Now I have noticed when I shift manually it doesn't stall so it could all be in the transmission.

Life is not like a box of chocolates

OP
OP
B

bobbyhonea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well do you want your kick ass truck back or you want to play warranty safe? maybe drive the dog until warranty dies then do what you want to it. magnusum says they have to prove the upgrade caused the failure to deny you, but whatever, we live in weird times. did you go from a 3.92 to a 3.21? If so, that would explain a lot.
yes I believe I did go from a 3.92 to a 3.21

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
did you go from a 3.92 to a 3.21? If so, that would explain a lot.

yes I believe I did go from a 3.92 to a 3.21

The gearing difference between a 3.92/6spd vs 3.21/8spd should sorta be a wash for taking off as 1st in the 6spd is 3:1 and the 8spd is 4.71:1. Another thing that could add to the "lag", did your '15 have 17" rims w/31.5" tires and does your '18 have 20" w/33" tires?
I would investigate more on the engine seeming to stumble/lag.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I'd lay money on what you're experiencing is the difference between the 6speed tranny and the 8 speed trannies torque management factors. Does it sound like a 4 speed almost when it makes the shifts under full throttle,lol. The Torque management on the 8 speeds is very noticeable compared to your older 6 speed truck.You can tune the tranny to somewhat diminish the effects if torque management,but that entails tuning the truck then.You can try a Pedal Commander or it's cheaper cousin the 9Drive ,which supposedly accomplishes the same thing as the pedal commander,but is noticeably cheaper.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Whatever the whatever, I can say I drove my friends 6 with 3.92's and it hauled the mail, had to be careful to not break pavement on take off. You must have test drove the new ram, and there must have been an overwhelming reason to get rid of that giddy up? I bet you have better gas mileage now, so just ride with that. Take the good where you can find it, I get 14mpg at best with my 5 speed.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 4.10s and I can do a lot better than 14 mpg without trying. I got 14.5 pulling a 2000 lb enclosed motorcycle trailer to and from Alcoa Tn. I normally don't drive hard, tho. Burla, you must be having a lot more fun than I!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bobby, I test drove the best looking short bed, regular cab Ram I'd ever seen. I mean this thing was tough looking. It was Brilliant Black, or whatever they call it.

Anyway, after driving my tuned 545RFE with 4.10s, that 8 speed/3.21 was a real let down. I experienced exactly what you're going thru. Just like you said, first gear lasted about a half a second, and the fun was over. The 8 speed fans like to say how their first gear with the 8/3.21 is lower than mine, but their truck is in first for such a short time, does it really matter?

The 8/3.21 May very well get down a 1/4 mile a few hundredths of a second before my ancient 2011. I don't really care. I don't live in a drag strip.

Bobby, you're probably going to either shift that thing yourself or tune it. A lot of guys like their Petal Commander. My tuned '11 doesn't need a Petal Commander. It goes like it should.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's weird, my '18 RCSB seems to hold the gears a little longer than I'd think "normal". I've tried tow/haul mode and they hold even longer. Have you tried using that?

Russ

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have 4.10s and I can do a lot better than 14 mpg without trying. I got 14.5 pulling a 2000 lb enclosed motorcycle trailer to and from Alcoa Tn. I normally don't drive hard, tho. Burla, you must be having a lot more fun than I!

you have a 5 speed, I see you do? I must of hit the gas mileage lottery in reverse, at best mine got 16 when bone stock, since bumper upgrade and lift 14 at very best, most even worse then that. lots of low rpm bogging and almost all city driving.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something is not right. Mine is a 2017 with 392's but I am running 34" tires in an LT so they are big and heavy. Mine comes out of the hole hard and I can easily break the tires loose with the traction control off. I have noticed a slight lag when I don't turn off the MDS but I always turn it off now.