My Rebel Overlander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lewbrown

Lewbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Purplelizard.com. Get their maps(which you may already have Loyalsock and Pine Creek if you backpack)View attachment 508742

They have all the roads and campsites on them.

If you do Facebook... Look up CentralPAOverland. https://www.facebook.com/groups/centralpaoverland/?ref=share

We just spent the weekend out in Rothrock, Bald Eagle and Tiadaghton State Forest.View attachment 508731

We went up to a hang glider site...but the snow brought fog...could not really enjoy the view.View attachment 508733View attachment 508734View attachment 508736

Another Vista gave a bit of clearingView attachment 508735

Right now in PA a there are even more roads open for travel right now for hunting season...we checked out a couple we had never been on. Love seeing the open gates. And got to love PA weather...View attachment 508741View attachment 508737View attachment 508738View attachment 508739

This route here covers all the forests in Central PA....sorry, not much on the east or west sides of the state.View attachment 508740

Here is the interactive map to our forest sites. Over 650 of them.

You can go to ReserveAmerica.com to reserve and get more information.

Any specific questions ask away...I love talking about backpacking, car camping, travel trailer camping, tent camping, hammock camping, fishing hunting, maps, just all things outdoors...especially when the audience uses RAM trucks.
This post is incredible!! I will be a week digesting all this information! Thanks so much!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I appreciate all the input!

I think my desire for the TRX stems from the fact that by the time I'm done with the Rebel I'll have spent the difference in upgrades anyway. But I am very hot and cold about doubling my car payment, and I can't stop spending money on the Rebel in the meantime, so I'm probably getting farther and farther away from that option. The practicality of the choice is extremely questionable with this vehicle also being my daily driver.

I did NOT get the 33-gallon tank unfortunately. I found the truck used with 6000 miles and had everything I wanted but the larger fuel tank. I didn't want to order my own and wait and it was a good deal. It's gonna have to be rotopax I fear.

You'd "upgrade" the TRX as well. It'd still need the rack, tent, etc. right?

What are you spending money on at this point and why? If you just want to throw money at it as a hobby, knock yourself out. If you want to be a bit more careful with your cash outlay then figure out what problems you're solving by throwing another mod at it.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Sleeping cooking storage recovery gear heater a/c food storage spare tire fuel tools lawn chairs air compressor lights axe chainsaw and what ever else i forgot let the spending begin lol

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Bumpers a winch rock sliders solar panels cabin battery bigger tires a lift kit

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi all. My name is Lew, I’m in SE PA. Bought my first ever truck a month ago, a 2022 Ram Rebel 5.7l. Since then I’ve put a cold air intake in her, and installed a Putco rack, a Bushveld rtt, and a 270 deg canopy.

My build strategy has been all over the map. I’m currently regretting not just buying a TRX, and so I’ve paused the actual truck mods. I do have an AWE catback ordered though.

I’m currently focused on a canopy camper from alu-cab. I added a pic of a trx with one. I’m in love.

My long term objective is vagabonding through the desert. I love Utah, and I’ve spent a lot of time in Baja, but never in my own vehicle.

So yeah, that’s me and my truck. Thanks for having us!View attachment 508698
Nice Truck.

I have 2021 Rebel. I was the same. was going get TRX.
I'm in Ontario, at time all TRX were way overpriced. They still are.

I off-road with my rebel every weekend. it does really well for truck.

I've added S&B CAI, Borla Atak cat-back, few other things. Also have HP tune (did it myself, but going get someone more experienced later)
Forgot added 20inch rims and bigger tries

OP
OP
Lewbrown

Lewbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'd "upgrade" the TRX as well. It'd still need the rack, tent, etc. right?

What are you spending money on at this point and why? If you just want to throw money at it as a hobby, knock yourself out. If you want to be a bit more careful with your cash outlay then figure out what problems you're solving by throwing another mod at it.
You ask insightful questions.

You are correct, I would mod the TRX too. I’m not really solving problems at all, I don’t think. I’m having fun building something cool. I am going to take as much pride out of seeing it in the parking lot as I am in the wilderness. I want it to look cool, I guess! (Am I really that shallow? Self reflection is hard)

Hopefully I will find a way to get some practical use out of everything as well!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
If you like the great outdoors I like you too I’m just a crabby old redneck that calls like I sees them I don’t hate anyones built truck unless they got that stupid squat or giant rims with skinny rubber band tires but that’s just me if that’s what you want more power to you

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I like the plain grey stealth look I don’t really want anyone to notice my truck that way they hopefully won’t mess with it crime isn’t really an issue where I live but a plain nondescript truck is not such a target for lowlifes or cops

Attachments

• 15B61D7D-484F-4AB1-8612-64B0E3143584.jpeg
    15B61D7D-484F-4AB1-8612-64B0E3143584.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 5

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You ask insightful questions.

You are correct, I would mod the TRX too. I’m not really solving problems at all, I don’t think. I’m having fun building something cool. I am going to take as much pride out of seeing it in the parking lot as I am in the wilderness. I want it to look cool, I guess! (Am I really that shallow? Self reflection is hard)

Hopefully I will find a way to get some practical use out of everything as well!

I've spent a lot of time learning and studying human decision making and behavioral economics. It's a fairly fascinating area of study, IMO, and has been very helpful in both my professional and personal life. I started learning it as part of getting better at interview/interrogation, which is kind of the ultimate sales job. You're selling the idea that confessing to your crime and taking responsibility for your actions is what you really want to do. Selling prison sentences is harder then selling cars, believe it or not...

Anyway, as long as you've got the money and you're happy with what the money you're spending gets you, go for it. I bought my Power Wagon on both logical and emotional grounds. As an enthusiast, if you don't connect with your vehicle you're not getting a good value. The mere fact you're here and modding means you aren't an appliance buyer, so there's nothing wrong with enjoying that enthusiasm. I *like* feeling like King of the Hillbillies when I drive it, and a lot of the mods I would have done to a 1/2 ton are already done. Factory winch, front and rear locker, sway bar disconnect, etc.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
That’s why I bought my pw to and I knew what I wanted to do with it I had to build some stuff and bought what I couldn’t build but bolt on or built I enjoy working on my truck gotta change the oil today -15 c good thing for insulated coveralls

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I like the plain grey stealth look I don’t really want anyone to notice my truck that way they hopefully won’t mess with it crime isn’t really an issue where I live but a plain nondescript truck is not such a target for lowlifes or cops
I follow the same train of thought...us headed for a 4 day weekend in the forest...who would guess...

Going kayaking...and staying for 3 days.

And of course the ultimate stealth camper...a full size van...hahaScreenshot_20221207-190129.png

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Where you want to go will determine what you want to do to your truck if your ok with just off the highway or you want way back in the bush the things you do to your truck will be different make it what you want and ignore the haters as long as you’re happy that’s what counts

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'll tell you the notion cops are "attracted" to certain colors is BS. We're largely motion activated. More often moron activated.